• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ha, thought the thread title was misleading?
    Well this is for sure a Unique pistol.

Model 17

Fellow collector Mawkie passed the info to me on this one and did my homework before bidding. I was the lone bidder for the minimum and the seller took my FFL03 no issues.
    This is an early Commercial version 32 auto but everyone knows the turmoil of France in the 1940s so any pistol likely found it’s way into the hands of someone needing protection. My Uncle dropped into France working with the OSS carrying an M42 he mentioned to me the various arms the Resistance carried (anything and everything). So until someone proves me otherwise, this pistol was in the hands of a resistance fighter helping my uncle sabotage the Germans.

d728c9bd284ae5cf86199c6f29965b41.jpg

22a1501f160e93b7c4d1aba7cefe1977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Looks very similar to a Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless

It's a simplified clone. Note the bulbous trigger block safety, characteristic of the Ruby style pistols made in Eibar and the Basque region for the French army in WWI.

French soldiers used to raid German trenches armed only with one of these little .32s.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congrats again! My copy of French Service Handguns has a photo of a Unique 17 with a SN within 200 units of yours and the authors believe that the range of military examples is from approx 402000 and 420000 with other earlier military examples in the mid 350000 range. Not all got the safety rivet that was installed on Ruby pistols in French service so while there's no definitive proof of military service, like my 1900 Luger, I strongly believe this was part of the military purchase. That's why I was watching it. In the end, when I didn't have funds to pull it off after the 1900 Luger, Kriegsmarine HSc and Ross purchases, I decided to see if Melnic was interested. So glad you managed to snag it without a fight. The start price was fair but enough to keep bottom feeder dealers away. Also nice to hear the seller was 03 friendly. I'll keep him in the back of my mind for future inventory searches.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thats an awesome find. I was disappointed to see it didn't come with any ticklers though....

Dec 31, 2012
    Cool. There is a Spanish 'Vilar' version of the Ruby that has been in my family for many decades. It is a non functional wall hanger but it's still interesting to imagine where it might have been used.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Congrats again! My copy of French Service Handguns has a photo of a Unique 17 with a SN within 200 units of yours and the authors believe that the range of military examples is from approx 402000 and 420000 with other earlier military examples in the mid 350000 range. Not all got the safety rivet that was installed on Ruby pistols in French service so while there's no definitive proof of military service, like my 1900 Luger, I strongly believe this was part of the military purchase. That's why I was watching it. In the end, when I didn't have funds to pull it off after the 1900 Luger, Kriegsmarine HSc and Ross purchases, I decided to see if Melnic was interested. So glad you managed to snag it without a fight. The start price was fair but enough to keep bottom feeder dealers away. Also nice to hear the seller was 03 friendly. I'll keep him in the back of my mind for future inventory searches.

I have a hard time trying to see what rivot the posts I read were talking about. They mention a rivet above and left of safety lever but I have seen ZERO pics on the internets the look like that.
    Some have the pin sticking out so it offers resistance to moving the safety (like mine) while others that bump is either ground down, or manufactured flush.

A reference to the 17
    https://skivebom.com/wp/model-17-kriegsmodell/

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I have a hard time trying to see what rivot the posts I read were talking about. They mention a rivet above and left of safety lever but I have seen ZERO pics on the internets the look like that.
    Some have the pin sticking out so it offers resistance to moving the safety (like mine) while others that bump is either ground down, or manufactured flush.

A reference to the 17
    https://skivebom.com/wp/model-17-kriegsmodell/

Ask and ye shall receive! This is my French issue Lusitania Ruby.

Attachments

• IMGP9302.JPG
      IMGP9302.JPG
      57 KB · Views: 73
    • IMGP9303.JPG
      IMGP9303.JPG
      56.4 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members