• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -My previous encounters with Rock Island Auction have been less than stellar, prompting me to stay away from their offerings for a good 15 years or more. Up to now there was nothing to tempt me to stray from my abstinence. Then last month RIA puts up 4 rare Ross rifles and 3 of them have nothing but vanilla descriptions, they have zero clue as to what they were (guessing a savvy Ross collector passed and nobody knew what was in his collection when they consigned them).
    -I go through them and am instantly drawn to the 2nd lot, a Ross MKII 2* Commercial target rifle with the long 30" barrel. Sporting a pair of Eric Pilblad designed sights built by Canada Tool & Specialty of New Glasgow NS and British proof marks. So this puppy was sold and exported to England at some point in its 110 year life. I'm guessing straight from the factory pre-WWI, when the Ross rifle ruled British shooting matches.
    -The first Ross, a stupid rare 1905-1910 Match Target chambered in .280 Ross, sells light, $2400. Perhaps because the even rarer sights are missing. Yet I've only seen one of these anywhere up to now so I'm thinking the next lot could sell reasonably, doesn't seem to be much interest in the room or online.
    -Then the MKII 2* comes up and the opening bid is in the room @ $1400. I place one counter bid and it's mine. I'm thrilled because even with another $6oo worth of MD sales tax, 21.5% premium, shipping and a crazy $45 "live bidding fee" I feel I'm still to the good. These rarely come for sale in the US (this was the first I've run across in 25 years) as most have stayed north of the razor wire in Canada. Even in Canada they are quite hard to find.
    -The 3rd Ross was a later MKII Military Match which the fellow who bid against me got for the jaw dropping price of $1200 less tax. Easily $800-1000 light.
    -The last Ross was another MKII Military Match but it had a silver presentation plaque attached to the stock, a gift from a Canadian shooting organization to a competitor. This fellow was well known and RIA had no problem finding provenance for him online. Bidding was modest with it crossing the line @ $3700 with the vig and fee.
    -The MKII 2* arrive yesterday and I will say that RIAs shipping dept. is top notch. Easily the best packing job I've ever seen. Took some of the sting out of the vig and fee. The finish is original all around and there's a small "JM" on one side of the butt with "BCDE" on the other. Time to do some sleuthing, see if I can't get a lead on who owned this beauty at one time. And keep an eye out for a proper vintage sling, has to have a sling!

Attachments

• IMGP9532.jpg
      IMGP9532.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 442
    • IMGP9530.jpg
      IMGP9530.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 433
    • IMGP9533.jpg
      IMGP9533.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 433
    • IMGP9539.jpg
      IMGP9539.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 438
    • IMGP9540.jpg
      IMGP9540.jpg
      32.7 KB · Views: 433
    • IMGP9541.jpg
      IMGP9541.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 432
    • IMGP9543.jpg
      IMGP9543.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 430
    • IMGP9544.jpg
      IMGP9544.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 432

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    What an great acquisition.

Mawkie one of these days we need to get together and have a cigar, bourbon or beer and talk collecting. Long over due. You are quite a force to be reckoned with.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    RIA; nicely done Mawkie.
    Every time I attend a RIA auction I leave feeling like the poor broke slob watching the classy ladies get picked up by wealthy putz.

Choice rifle:D

I get frustrated with their policy of bundling C&Rs to create lots that will speed up the auction and net them at minimum $1k. Add to that a lack of photos and descriptions. I'm at a loss as to how or why anyone consigns with them other than that they are very aggressive in rooting out collections. You think they have to be leaving cash on the table by not giving enough info to allow someone to online/absentee bid with confidence.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    What an great acquisition.

Mawkie one of these days we need to get together and have a cigar, bourbon or beer and talk collecting. Long over due. You are quite a force to be reckoned with.

We've been loosely talking about this for a while. Then along comes a pandemic. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Would be a hoot to take over an establishment for an afternoon or evening.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A great pick up, my friend!!
    I know you love your Ross rifles almost as much as I do my Finns :D

Thanks! It's coming to the point where I'm going to have to find new homes for many of my Finns. I used to be so passionate bout them. But will always keep a 28/30 around, love shooting them!

Jul 1, 2012
    I get frustrated with their policy of bundling C&Rs to create lots that will speed up the auction and net them at minimum $1k. Add to that a lack of photos and descriptions. I'm at a loss as to how or why anyone consigns with them other than that they are very aggressive in rooting out collections. You think they have to be leaving cash on the table by not giving enough info to allow someone to online/absentee bid with confidence.

It's even worse when they bundle C&R and non-C&R. That sucks.

But every once in a while things work out, super-nice rifle & deal !

Their shipping dept is definitely on the ball both in speed and quality of packing.
    Only complaint is they always screw up the box size and cause another fee from UPS :)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    We've been loosely talking about this for a while. Then along comes a pandemic. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Would be a hoot to take over an establishment for an afternoon or evening.

I mean, C&R get together like they do in the water cooler? But with better food, booze, and cigars because we C&R guys have more refined tastes? :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice rifle!
    Is it in 280 or 303?

.303. Not as accurate as .280 Ross but much more affordable to shoot. For the military matches the Canadians had to stick to .303. There was a bru ha-ha when the Ross rifle first arrived on the scene as it not only had a longer and heavier barrel vs the service rifle but because of that couldn't mount a service bayonet. The Canadian fix was this odd non-standard bayonet lug that was 2" longer than the std one. Tried to find a photo of it but no joy. Looks hokey for sure but got the rifle certified to shoot in military matches.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    .303. Not as accurate as .280 Ross but much more affordable to shoot. For the military matches the Canadians had to stick to .303. There was a bru ha-ha when the Ross rifle first arrived on the scene as it not only had a longer and heavier barrel vs the service rifle but because of that couldn't mount a service bayonet. The Canadian fix was this odd non-standard bayonet lug that was 2" longer than the std one. Tried to find a photo of it but no joy. Looks hokey for sure but got the rifle certified to shoot in military matches.

You can say that again, more affordable at the range!
    I see front site protectors both forwards and backwards.
    With the Ross rifles, theirs bru-ha-ha with nearly every aspect of them, that's why I kind of feature them.
    Nice to see one here.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I mean, C&R get together like they do in the water cooler? But with better food, booze, and cigars because we C&R guys have more refined tastes? :D

Not to thread hijack but I was thinking about an E Shore MDS meet up when I'm there in October; Tilghman. May be able to make that happen if there is any interest. Best to bring a show and tell but that can open up a lot of issues.

Also thought about a MDS C&R zoom meeting. Kind of like a reloading meeting but regarding C&R's. Privacy concerns; I get that, along with competition.

Perhaps best to keep things on the QT; IDK.

I do enjoy the C&R's but not sure about the chow, booze, and smokes being better due tu refined tastes.

IDK; I'm still loosing my mind but enjoying the times:D

MDS C&R collectors have, per my review, a lot of knowledge in a lot of areas; would be nice to share that knowledge w/o issues.

Perhaps C&R whisperer?

IDK back to my loosing myself:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom