• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Hello folks,

Am wading into fishing this year, trout specifically. I haven't fished since my boy scout days.

Can anyone give me some advice on what equipment I will need. There is a dizzying array of rods, reels, baits, etc out there.

I have a buddy who is going to be taking me out to a spot and showing me the finer points of casting, etc.

Thanks!

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Check out Tenkara Rods. I got my son one last year and it’s a lot of fun. Just ordered one for myself. It really makes fly fishing simple. Very easy to set up, breakdown and transport. I can see most of my fly rods sitting in the closet for a while.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Are you fishing "put and take" streams and or lakes or are you fishing fly fishing/artificial lures/no kill water?

Spin fishing or fly fishing?

Don't confuse Tenkara fishing with fly fishing. They are more different than alike IMO.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Why do you say that about Tenkara and fly fishing? I’ve been fly fishing for 30 years and just got into Tenkara. Really like how simple it is. Same skills still needed to catch fish, just no reel. Still chucking streamers, nymphs and dries. Can’t cover as much ground though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why do you say that about Tenkara and fly fishing? I’ve been fly fishing for 30 years and just got into Tenkara. Really like how simple it is. Same skills still needed to catch fish, just no reel. Still chucking streamers, nymphs and dries. Can’t cover as much ground though.

Exactly my point. It ain't FLY FISHING. I didn't say it wasn't fair. It's meant for fishing tiny little streams. I guarantee I could out fish anyone on a teensy mountain stream with my 7.5 4wt.
    Not trying to start a fight, but I kinda expected there might be.
    I will admit, I have never tried one. I've seen 'new' things come, and I've seen them go.
    I'd rather hear from the OP as to what type of trout fishing he is about to embark on.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I would just keep it as simple as it gets, and learn to be quiet and gentle.
    I fish a 9' bamboo rod made before the 80's that has caught alot of trout.
    You don't need fancy if you take care of the essentials.
    Best of Luck to you, Gangrei!! What streams are you going to fish?

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Not in it for a fight as I love fly fishing and do both. Tenkara is fly fishing in my opinion as I’m using flies and not lures. I tie the same patterns for both. The weight of the line to cast... I’m sure we can agree to disagree, but Tenkara could be a easy entry into a new sport. Entomology and stream reading matter the most. Presentation can be the same with both.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I Should have posted this earlier. I was going to take my son trout fishing over the past weekend. I checked the stocking info on the DNR website and found this

Attachments

• EF3BCE0F-FE0D-4313-A165-9F30F2FCD4B7.jpg
      EF3BCE0F-FE0D-4313-A165-9F30F2FCD4B7.jpg
      72.2 KB · Views: 280

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Spin fishing. In a stocked stream.

I have to admit, not an expert on that, but ultralight rod, splitshot, mebbe size 6 hooks and a bobber and some of that 'jar bait". Cast upstream and let it flow back towards you. Watch the bobber. Any hesitation, set the hook.

Good luck, enjoy the day on the stream.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I Should have posted this earlier. I was going to take my son trout fishing over the past weekend. I checked the stocking info on the DNR website and found this

Ain't it funny, all state gets a holiday.

Fish ain't getting the virus...

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Check out Tenkara Rods. I got my son one last year and it’s a lot of fun. Just ordered one for myself. It really makes fly fishing simple. Very easy to set up, breakdown and transport. I can see most of my fly rods sitting in the closet for a while.

I've wanted to try that for a couple of years. Where did you get your rod set up from?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    DNR should've accelerated the spring stocking. That's 10's of thousands of fish for recreation and food that could be available to people.

DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Practice your casting techniques by attaching nothing more than a split shot weight to the end of your line (spinning rod ) and landing it in a metal pot at various distances. this is how I mastered the art of fishing small creeks and tributaries in the mountains of PA

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Another good investment would be waders. Hip waders would probably serve you well. Felt soled waders are no longer acceptable due to the spread of invasive aquatic vegetation and algae so keep that in mind.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Too bad Coronavirus has things shut down right now, but when things open up its probably worth your time to take a trip down to Tochtermans on Eastern Ave. in the city. Any of the people are very helpful, but Tony (owner) and Rich Dennison are the two I know the best. St. Croix has a couple ultralight spinning rods...their Trout Series and Pan Fish Series are basically the exact same rod, which are perfect for throwing spinners in a trout stream. A close friend of mine bought one with a Shimano reel, I believe...for an ultralight, has good backbone...no problem pulling in a 4-5 lb. bass with the rod.

If looking for something less expensive and ordering on Amazon or through Bass Pro so you can get soon, lots of ultralight choices. I picked up a cheap Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod for about $20 and a used reel at a flea market. Strung the reel with 4lb. Berkeley Nanofil. The cheaper rod doesn't have the backbone of the St. Croix, so tougher to throw a really light spinner very far, especially if working into the wind. But I was out on Tuesday on the maiden voyage of my fishing kayak, and caught a couple bass on the ultralight setup. One was probably 18" and a couple pounds....made for a great fight.

Also don't think you can go wrong with an Ugly Stik ultralight...I don't have one, but have heard lots of good things about them. And priced between the Shakespeare and the St. Croix.

For lure, pick up some trout magnet jigs, and some rooster tail type spinners and maybe some salmon eggs or egg-type lures. Just be sure the spot you're on isn't considered "fly fishing only".

Good luck!

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    They’ve resumed some of the trout stocking but won’t say where. They can’t keep holding the fish at the hatchery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom