• ...and so much more!
  • Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Im sorry if this has been answered.

If someone in MD wishes to transfer a pistol to a VA resident. What is the simplest way?

:o

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    A VA resident must buy a pistol in VA under federal law. So you can give it to a MD FFL who can ship it to a VA FFL or simply give it directly to the VA FFL for sale.

Couldn’t he also ship directly to the VA FFL? Or does it have to be hand delivered (or shipped from another FFL)?

... I don’t believe in selling guns. ;)

EDIT: I don’t see anything on the ATF site (but didn’t read the entire Brady bill) that suggest a non-licensee cannot ship a handgun to any licensee. If that was the case many person to person (via an 01) Gun Broker sales would be illegal, and even though not for the intent of a transfer wouldn’t shipping back to a manufacture for a warranty repair also be illegal unless there are different rules for 07s vs 01s.

Last edited:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Can we visit a VA FFL together and transfer it? I mean I just pass a nics check as in if I but from the VA dealer?

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Can we visit a VA FFL together and transfer it? I mean I just pass a nics check as in if I but from the VA dealer?

Yes. He (presumably an MD resident) transfers it to the dealer (the VA FFL), the VA FFL runs the VSP version of NICS on you, and transfers to you (presumably a VA resident).

Depending on the FFL, you might get dinged for both their transfer in and out fee.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Yes. He (presumably an MD resident) transfers it to the dealer (the VA FFL), the VA FFL runs the VSP version of NICS on you, and transfers to you (presumably a VA resident).

Depending on the FFL, you might get dinged for both their transfer in and out fee.

Both presumptions are correct.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Depending on the FFL, you might get dinged for both their transfer in and out fee.[/QUOTE]

That is something that you should negotiate with you VA FFL, before you show up to the transfer. You may have to shop around, usually the FFL that you are a regular customer of will give you the best deal on transfers.
    If not you may want to find another favorite "go to" FFL.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No one answered, but yes, you may legally ship the handgun to a VA FFL, if they will accept it from a non-FFL. Some will, some won't.

You cannot ship via USPS, as handguns are only FFL to FFL with them. FedEx and UPS require them to be shipped overnight.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm pondering this. I've been asked more questions. I was avoiding this, but will clarify. I hate all this ********, that's an aside.

I bought my wife a handgun after she when through training. She passed the background. yeah. ;) Well she did want to give it back when we lived in Maryland. I had no HQL. :rolleyes:

Now I live in Virginia. She is trying to give it back again. Can she just cross into VA and hand it to me now?

I love Government:rolleyes:.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm pondering this. I've been asked more questions. I was avoiding this, but will clarify. I hate all this ********, that's an aside.

I bought my wife a handgun after she when through training. She passed the background. yeah. ;) Well she did want to give it back when we lived in Maryland. I had no HQL. :rolleyes:

Now I live in Virginia. She is trying to give it back again. Can she just cross into VA and hand it to me now?

I love Government:rolleyes:.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, if you can find an FFL that will take it from her and do the 4473 and not charge you too much for the transfer, then yes. Otherwise, she will need to give it to an FFL in MD to transfer to an FFL in VA to transfer to you.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    She is in Md im in VA. She couldn't give it to me in MD case i didn't have a HQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom