• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Last week I picked up a bolt action Ruger Predator rifle in .223, it’s the newest model that has the weaver rail, and uses AR mags. It has a medium weight 22” barrel. I’m planing on mounting either a Nikon Monarch, or Nikon Buckmaster scope on it, as I have one of each new in the box, sitting at my house.

Anyways this purchase was a spur of the moment buy, and I didn’t do any research on these rifles before I purchased it. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles? if you do, let me know your thoughts. Good buy, or should I have passed? Accuracy you have gotten?
    It was purchased mainly as a range toy, I’d like to hand load for it to see how accurate it can be. It may also see some predator hunting, if the accuracy is acceptable.
    Hopefully I’ll get a chance to shoot it in the next few days.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    How do you want to use it?

*I have one in .308. Its close to a 1-1.5 moa rifle with soft point factory loads. Perfect for deer, for my farm. Could I tighten up the accuracy with a stock/chassis and handloads, sure. But that's not it's purpose. It's definitely not a benchrest rifle, and I'm not carrying it 20 miles looking for elk. Somewhere in between those two.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The time to ask about a rifle is before you buy it, but...

I have the 6.5 Grendel version (topped with a Tango6 3-18x) and have found it to be a good performer in terms of accuracy - like 2-3 MOA with wolf blaster ammo, closer to 1.25 with Hornady Black and somewhat uneven shooting on my part. I will say that I think the factory stock really sucks in terms of fit (shooter and barrel), and feeding with > 10rd mags can be a touch rough due to the magazine rocking back and forth a bit too much. An MDT chassis is in its future. Be advised that the Magpul stock will not work properly with these rifles until they release their 223 AICS mags (ETA unknown). Warne makes a good 20MOA replacement rail, BUT it is slightly extended compared to the factory rail - measure carefully before buying rings.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    How do you want to use it?

*I have one in .308. Its close to a 1-1.5 moa rifle with soft point factory loads. Perfect for deer, for my farm. Could I tighten up the accuracy with a stock/chassis and handloads, sure. But that's not it's purpose. It's definitely not a benchrest rifle, and I'm not carrying it 20 miles looking for elk. Somewhere in between those two.

As far as use, i posted mainly range toy, but might see some predator( coyote) hunting. If I can get it to shoot MOA or better, I’ll be very happy.
    My wife and son both hunt deer with Savage Axis rifles. His in 243, hers in 7mm -08, they both shoot moa, and I have one as well in 223. I have never shot my 223 axis, and grabbed this rifle as I liked the feel of the stock better, plus the heavier barrel and use of AR mags, it just seemed a little nicer.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    The time to ask about a rifle is before you buy it, but...

I have the 6.5 Grendel version (topped with a Tango6 3-18x) and have found it to be a good performer in terms of accuracy - like 2-3 MOA with wolf blaster ammo, closer to 1.25 with Hornady Black and somewhat uneven shooting on my part. I will say that I think the factory stock really sucks in terms of fit (shooter and barrel), and feeding with > 10rd mags can be a touch rough due to the magazine rocking back and forth a bit too much. An MDT chassis is in its future. Be advised that the Magpul stock will not work properly with these rifles until they release their 223 AICS mags (ETA unknown). Warne makes a good 20MOA replacement rail, BUT it is slightly extended compared to the factory rail - measure carefully before buying rings.

Yeah, I usually do my research before I buy, but I was on vacation when I picked it up, and just went with it. What research I have seen since, seems promising. If I can get it to shoot MOA, or close to it, it will serve me well.

Like I posted above, comparing to other “budget” rifles, the stock felt more substantial. And I really liked the heavier barrel, and AR mags. I was just wondering about the accuracy, people were getting with these rifles.
    I’m wondering if it will shoot as good, as the savage axis rifles? From what I’m hearing it will, so I’ll probably be selling the savage axis in 223 I have sitting brand new in the box.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice pick-up. I wouldn't be surprised if you get 1 MOA or better performance. I would go with the Monarch scope of the two that you've listed.

I have the Ruger American in 300 BLK (1 MOA rifle - when I was a newb - bet I can shoot tighter groups with it now) and a Ruger Predator in 22 WMR (1.5-2.0 MOA rifle - which is mostly a reflection of there being no match grade 22 Mag ammo). Love them both. Stuck in a debate of whether I get a 223, 6.5 Grendel, or 308 Predator in the future.

Btw, sometimes the forearm can rub a bit against the barrel in the Predator stock (often upper left part). A little sanding inside the channel should do the trick.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I bought mine on impulse a year or so ago, also a .223 I really like it, one of my favorite bolt actions. I had a Nikon Buckmasters II 3-9 on it at first, but got a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 on a good sale and put it on instead for some extra reach. Certainly not a top of the line bolt action, but I am more than happy with it and used the money saved on ammo and others. Shoots as well as my friends Remington 700 Varmint in .223 that was almost double the cost at the distances that I can shoot well.

Also added a Blackhawk strap-on style cheek riser from Amazon, helped with cheek weld for me. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014VTREO)
    I added on the muzzle break, I believe it is a Midwest Industries one, that I had laying around just to use it though it doesnt need it really.

Cant find pictures of the groups, but it will do sub-1" at 100yards easily, I usually use Fiochi 62grain .223

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Jamesp15 and fidelity, thanks, that’s what I wanted to hear. Hopefully mine will shoot as well as both of yours do. I’m glad I’m not hearing horror stories about accuracy with the Ruger.

Fidelity, I was leaning towards the Monarch scope, and will most likely go that way. I’ll put the 3x9 Buckmaster’s on a Weatherby Vanguard I have in 308.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    As said above, you may need to remove some material from the stock under barrel. Especially if you shoot off a bag. The extra or varied pressure can cause some inconsistencies as the stock touches barrel in that one spot. Other than that, I really liked mine. It was accurate.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Well, I got a chance to shoot the rifle today. I was using Hornady 75 grain BTHP match ammo, and it shot great. I’m very impressed with the rifle.
    Fidelity and F-stop, you both were correct, as I was shooting from bags, I was getting the occasional flyer, and it wasn’t me. My son had the same issue with it. I believe the stock is touching the barrel somewheres. I was shooting at 1 MOA, and then out of nowhere I’d get a flyer. I was still able to get a 2” group at 200 yards, not counting those flyers. It could be the ammo, but I believe the stock was putting pressure on the barrel somewhere. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to fix that issue soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom