• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Nice, learning life skills. His peers should be so lucky. My son liked the goose breasts I brought home, but he's 11 and not able to wield the shotgun yet due to low upper body strength. What gauge did your son use?
    Q

My son doesn’t look his age in the pictures, but he’s 14. He also has problems handling a full sized semi autos and pumps. It would be especially difficult from a coffin blind. He used a Mossberg 20gauge pump. It’s a youth model. The stock had spacers you can add to the gun as they grow. He’s pretty tall, and has long arms, so the stock is as long as a full sized model. The barrel is 20” of 22”, I can’t remember. The shorter barrel length, really seems to help him a lot. He was using a full choke, with 3 inche number 2 size steel shoot.
    I haven’t been able to find a bigger size steel shot, in 20 gauge. He can handle the recoil and shot well with a 12 gauge, from over and unders, and pumps with shorter barrels. Once the barrels start getting long, he has difficulty using them.
    Like I said, I wish I could find bigger size shot, but #2’s in the 20 did the job. Makes me wonder why I’m beating myself up, using BB shot in 3 1/2” shells.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks, Brickman. Need to start looking for a 20ga since I only have 12s.....:innocent0

Congratulations to you and your son again on a successful hunt.

Q

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Qbeam, no problem. Remington makes their 1187 in a 20 gauge youth model, maybe that would work for your son? It would definitely help dampen the recoil. Good luck on your search, and hopefully you can get him out with you next season! We got to get the kids involved, if we want to keep the tradition and shooting sports alive.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Made some more memories again with my son this past Saturday. We’ve been hunting geese in the afternoons. We only had 2 geese come in to our set up, and we got them both. Had a great time. Next Saturday is the last day of the season, he’s definitely hooked now. Before sunset Saturday evening, sitting in the blind, he was all ready asking about next weekend. Lol. I told him if it’s not raining or snowing, we’d go again.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Made some more memories again with my son this past Saturday. We’ve been hunting geese in the afternoons. We only had 2 geese come in to our set up, and we got them both. Had a great time. Next Saturday is the last day of the season, he’s definitely hooked now. Before sunset Saturday evening, sitting in the blind, he was all ready asking about next weekend. Lol. I told him if it’s not raining or snowing, we’d go again.

There you go, you went and did it. You made yourself a hunting buddy.

Congrats!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    There you go, you went and did it. You made yourself a hunting buddy.

Congrats!

I’ve always been a hunter of all types of game, for the last 3-4 years, he’s been my hunting buddy. I’ve always enjoyed being afield, but these last few years, have been the best. I rarely go out without him, and haven’t gotten many deer since he started to hunt, but it’s all worth it. Goose hunting is a new type of hunting for him. I couldn’t ask for a better hunting buddy.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I’ve always been a hunter of all types of game, for the last 3-4 years, he’s been my hunting buddy. I’ve always enjoyed being afield, but these last few years, have been the best. I rarely go out without him, and haven’t gotten many deer since he started to hunt, but it’s all worth it. Goose hunting is a new type of hunting for him. I couldn’t ask for a better hunting buddy.

And memories that will last each of you a lifetime. Something no amount of money can buy.

Precious moments to be sure.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    My dad started me hunting small game,doves and deer.I never hunted waterfowl until I was in my late 30s.I was hooked on it the first time out.I remember how excited I got watching my first goose hit the ground.I didnt even think about shooting at another....we were allowed 3 that day.

My dad gave up hunting and never went water fowling.He is gone now.

Im happy to hear of a Dad and son enjoying a day in the blind hunting ducks and geese.I got to do a lot of other outdoor stuff with my Dad but thats one thing we missed out on.

Tell your son congrats and I hope you two can get out again before the season ends.Good luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom