• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have been told Moly grease for the barrel nut threads is the spec per the TM but would mobil 1 syth grease be a decent substitute since I use that shit on everything?

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    The TM should (it's been many years since I looked) list the specification to be used for the MolyB Grease. I'm not sure that Mobil 1 Synth Grease meets that specification. I know that AeroShell 33ms does. Just google search that Milspec number and it should give the answer.

ETA: It should meet MIL-G-21164 according to the TM. A google search suggests Mobil 28 meets that specification.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The TM should (it's been many years since I looked) list the specification to be used for the MolyB Grease. I'm not sure that Mobil 1 Synth Grease meets that specification. I know that AeroShell 33ms does. Just google search that Milspec number and it should give the answer.

ETA: It should meet MIL-G-21164 according to the TM. A google search suggests Mobil 28 meets that specification.

It is aeroshell 33ms is whats recommended. I am looking for a decent substitute since its purpose is more for anti-seize than anything else.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    It is aeroshell 33ms is whats recommended. I am looking for a decent substitute since its purpose is more for anti-seize than anything else.

You got me. Though if you are close to Frederick, I would gladly give you some AeroShell; I have enough for several lifetimes.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Aeroshell 64 33MS is what I use. It tends to give more leeway when using the proper torque specs and makes for easy barrel removal.

Can't say the same for other greases.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Aeroshell 64 33MS is what I use. It tends to give more leeway when using the proper torque specs and makes for easy barrel removal.

Can't say the same for other greases.

You can buy a huge tube for peanuts.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    EP Moly grease. The Mil Spec isn't specifically for Aeroshell. The point of the spec is a high temp, extreme pressure, molybdenum disulfide grease that doesn't contain Graphite. The grease is to prevent galling and provide smooth torquing. The no Graphite is because when the armories and depots were replacing barrels on the A1 rifles in the '70s they were finding pitting of the aluminum upper receiver threads that they attributed to electrolytic corrosion due to the graphite in the wheel bearing grease they had been using.
    Not an expert, just a graduate of the Armorer's school at Aberdeen - which means I'm qualified to say "Yep, it's broke." and BCM it on to the Depot.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    EP Moly grease. The Mil Spec isn't specifically for Aeroshell. The point of the spec is a high temp, extreme pressure, molybdenum disulfide grease that doesn't contain Graphite. The grease is to prevent galling and provide smooth torquing. The no Graphite is because when the armories and depots were replacing barrels on the A1 rifles in the '70s they were finding pitting of the aluminum upper receiver threads that they attributed to electrolytic corrosion due to the graphite in the wheel bearing grease they had been using.
    Not an expert, just a graduate of the Armorer's school at Aberdeen - which means I'm qualified to say "Yep, it's broke." and BCM it on to the Depot.

I'll second this regarding the pitfalls of graphite anywhere around aluminum, especially anytime there is the slightest chance of moisture.

I have worked on salt water boats for years and graphite ANYTHING is an extreme no-no because of electrolytic corrosion. Graphite is at the extreme top end for causing electrolytic corrosion. That's why carbon, which is what graphite is, is the tried and true cathode in dry cell batteries. At the extreme other end of the galvanic table are the materials that the sacrificial anode and are corroded away...eaten alive. These are magnesium, zinc and, close to them, aluminum.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I use the copper anti seize stuff. It's actually a bicycle component lube, made by "Finish Line". It's great for keeping aluminum from galvantically bonding to steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom