• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Tragic for sure. I do wonder if saftey protocols were being followed. Also, had this person taken a hunter safety course and been properly licensed to hunt?
    This does put things into perspective. I missed out on a deer today because I stopped it and squeezed the trigger while the safety was still on. It ran as I got the safety off. I was pissed off at myself until I heard this story.

From the article

“I can confirm that [Cavallo] had taken hunter’s safety classes in California,” Thomson said, noting that such classes were required in order to hunt in Maryland. “... Some states don’t require it, but he had taken his course.”

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    That last paragraph was just as bad...never had a fatal hunter on hunter shooting....then says fatal shootings were either accidental or falls.

So I guess it has to a homocide to be hunter on hunter. The guide on the shore last year was shot by another hunter.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'm reading the accidental shootings that are not hunter on hunter, as self inflicted, like this one.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I'm reading the accidental shootings that are not hunter on hunter, as self inflicted, like this one.
    But, they're saying there has never been a fatal hunter on hunter shooting in MD. That is not true, there was a hunting guide killed by a fellow hunter just last year, a fact they mention in the article.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Definitely read more like a factual news story. The first article seemed more like a short story full of imagery and flair than a news article.

So I'm not the only one that thought that. Thought I was reading a novel rather than a news story.

Sympathies for the hunter's family, and may he rest in peace.

Q

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    But, they're saying there has never been a fatal hunter on hunter shooting in MD. That is not true, there was a hunting guide killed by a fellow hunter just last year, a fact they mention in the article.

Even if they are just talking about deer, I know of at least one where a guy shot his buddy when lowering a gun to him from a stand.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Never is too strong.

More correctly, in the modern aka post Hunter Safety and mandatory blaze orange era, accidental hunter on hunter , involving delibertly fired shots have dropped to near zero.

Back in the bad old days of "Sound Shots" , they were a regular occurence in most States.

That last paragraph was just as bad...never had a fatal hunter on hunter shooting....then says fatal shootings were either accidental or falls.

So I guess it has to a homocide to be hunter on hunter. The guide on the shore last year was shot by another hunter.

Never is too strong.

More correctly, in the modern aka post Hunter Safety and mandatory blaze orange era, accidental hunter on hunter , involving delibertly fired shots have dropped to near zero.

Back in the bad old days of "Sound Shots" , they were a regular occurence in most States.

I know of one "orange deer in a tree" that happened in the early 80's.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    MD had fatal hunting accidents from shootings in 2003 and 2004. 2003 was man misidentified as deer. 2004 was man misidentified as bird.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    This is why I am so hesitant to hunt public lands.

Really want to still-hunt Elk Neck, but.....

RIP, Fellow Hunter.

In all my hunting days I only hunted Elk Neck one time. I parked on the side of a dirt road and headed into the brush. It was so dense visability beyond 10' was impossible. I was in full orange, came to a clearing, and saw three guys standing next to a tree with rifles pointed at me. I yelled "Hunter," got an acknowledgement and walked up to them. One of the crew said "We shoot what walks in there." I bid them farewell, told them to give me time to get out of range, and walked away a very grateful man. :mad54:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    DNR needs a new spokesman. States "never been a hunter on hunter fatality" next paragraph, "75 year old hunting guide shot and killed.."

This tragedy happened on a private game preserve. Owner puts birds out and clients pay to shoot 'em.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    In all my hunting days I only hunted Elk Neck one time. I parked on the side of a dirt road and headed into the brush. It was so dense visability beyond 10' was impossible. I was in full orange, came to a clearing, and saw three guys standing next to a tree with rifles pointed at me. I yelled "Hunter," got an acknowledgement and walked up to them. One of the crew said "We shoot what walks in there." I bid them farewell, told them to give me time to get out of range, and walked away a very grateful man. :mad54:

Good story.

Every year I try and talk myself into going in there.

And every year I end up telling myself I like my guts tucked in neatly where they are.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    This is why I am so hesitant to hunt public lands.

Really want to still-hunt Elk Neck, but.....

RIP, Fellow Hunter.

I hunted public lands at Greenridge a few times...probably NEVER again. I've seen everything from guys camping in a tent in the middle of the woods(they emerged from their tent at daylight, took their tent down and wasn't wearing orange) to guys looking in trees for deer. That did it for me.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I've seen people I know and trust do some pretty stupid shit with a firearm in the woods that made me uncomfortable enough to never even consider hunting on public land.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yep. That's the problem hunting on public land. You risk encountering the stupidest morons on the planet, all testosteroned up to shoot whatever moves minus identification.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I hunted public lands at Greenridge a few times...probably NEVER again. I've seen everything from guys camping in a tent in the middle of the woods(they emerged from their tent at daylight, took their tent down and wasn't wearing orange) to guys looking in trees for deer. That did it for me.

One and done for me at Greenridge.

I remember well having the sun come up one opening morning, and finding myself sitting in the middle of a pumpkin patch.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The guy was hunting private land and accidentally shot himself due to a handling error. Not sure how that sparks a discussion about public lands.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    In my experience Californian's have no business with firearms, or on the road for that matter. Air headedness abounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom