• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Well, I am sure that police will feel a lot safer knowing that a perp won't be able to use a cop's smart guns after beating up the cop and stealing his gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have often thought of how people accustomed to most electronic and even mechanical devices, whether smart phones, microwave ovens, or toasters, can have no concept of the reliability and instant functionality, let alone the crispness, required of firearms.

It usually takes me a couple of tries to activate my smart phone (except when it activates itself in my pocket), and there is a maddening lag as I scroll through menus and wait for new screens to come up.

Every day I am reminded that similar performance would never be acceptable in any firearm. I can barely tolerate it in my phone.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have often thought of how people accustomed to most electronic and even mechanical devices, whether smart phones, microwave ovens, or toasters, can have no concept of the reliability and instant functionality, let alone the crispness, required of firearms.

It usually takes me a couple of tries to activate my smart phone (except when it activates itself in my pocket), and there is a maddening lag as I scroll through menus and wait for new screens to come up.

Every day I am reminded that similar performance would never be acceptable in any firearm. I can barely tolerate it in my phone.

"If you'd like to take a shot, please hang up and try your shot again"

pittpa

Mar 5, 2016
    SW PA
    Message on I-phone: "Your trigger is trying to connect with your hammer sear. Would you like to allow this?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    also better hope its not a microsoft product...:lol2:

get-screen.cfm

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I keep my non-smart gun locked in a safe with a combination that I and my wife know. Either of us can open that safe. When it is locked up, which it always is until I need it, it is as safe as the smart gun. When I'm in transit, my guns are locked. While I applaud the inventor for his ingenuity, I must criticize him for the same things others have mentioned, greasy or bloody hands, gloves, etc. My wife puts on hand cream before bed. That would make using the gun impossible for her. Have you ever tried to use the fingerprint scanner on your phone when your fingers are wet or dirty? Also, a big problem with a fingerprint scanner is it can't account for things like which firing hand you use, the need to switch hands, various grip styles, and common accessories such as grip covers. Over half of my guns have Hogue Hand-All overgrips on them. The scanner wouldn't work in those cases. Others have mentioned the issue of batteries. What do you do if your batteries wear out when you need to use the gun? Ask the bad guy to wait while you insert a new CR-2032 battery into your pistol grip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    While I hate the invention his grip is actually very good. Take a look at the grip used by some of the top competitive shooters.

For example:
    Dave Sevigny, Team Glock
    Jerry Miculek, Team Smith & Wesson
    Rob Latham, Springfield Armory

I don't see their left thumbs angled up towards the slide. It almost looks like his thumb in on the slide but can't confirm with the angle of the photo. I'm not an expert nor an instructor, so I'll defer to you and others. Just my opinion.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yeah I'm looking at this too

Sorry guys but that is pretty much the same grip used by about 50%+ of the competition shooters in the US. Although his left thumb could be a little lower (the other 50%) that position is often used due to gun and hand size limitations.
    If your grip does not look at least close to that then you need to rethink how you grip the gun.
    Also notice he has what looks like a medical wrist strap on his right wrist. This is how many shooting matches identify people who are signed up to shoot an event (PNTC for instance).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    His thumb is no big deal. It's not "resting on the slide". The "knuckle knot" on the thumb is resting on the slide. This pretty much keeps the soft right side of the thumb tip from pressing against the slide. Not that much of an issue.

Now, what rolling that thumb (wrist) more forward does, is roll the whole support hand forward and down which creates torque helping tame recoil.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Such a gun might be practical when it runs on zero-point energy instead of batteries. Dead battery = no gun? No thanks.

When the police and the military make them mandatory standard issue for all their personnel and they've worked flawlessly in the field for a couple of years, I'll start to look at them. Not even a curious thought until then.

Even without the added complexity of the additional features tacked on to so-called "smart guns", there are plenty of firearms produced even today with reliability issues. I never buy any firearm with any reviews questioning its reliability because I don't assume that I'll have the opportunity to get choosy should I ever need something to save my life in an emergency. I've forgone some really compelling pieces because of questionable reliability, so the idea that we'd want additional complexity added to something we've yet to perfect seems ludicrous to me considering the potential consequences of a failure at the worst possible moment.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sorry for the necro a new story did not want to start a new thread.

Looks like he is taking pre-orders. Some questions off the top of my head are if I have to use the same sensor on my phone a couple of times to unlock what is the idds of this thing working in a high stress situation. How does the facial recognition work in say a dark bed room? Or after you get in the face and have a swollen eye or nose?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Sorry for the necro a new story did not want to start a new thread.

Looks like he is taking pre-orders. Some questions off the top of my head are if I have to use the same sensor on my phone a couple of times to unlock what is the idds of this thing working in a high stress situation. How does the facial recognition work in say a dark bed room? Or after you get in the face and have a swollen eye or nose?

From the article:

The world’s first “smart gun” hit the market Thursday, complete with a life-saving fingerprint unlocking system that prevents “unauthorized” people such as kids and criminals from firing it.

My response:
    Not "life saving" to the person needing it and gloves block it, battery fails, reader is smudged, finger is dirty, etc. Fvcking idiots just don't get it that when you need a gun to save your life, you need it working that very second.

Last edited:

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    What ever happened to the old fashioned trigger finger ring that would unlock the gun? That was a concept back in the 90s, yet I have never seen it come to market.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    His thumb is no big deal. It's not "resting on the slide". The "knuckle knot" on the thumb is resting on the slide. This pretty much keeps the soft right side of the thumb tip from pressing against the slide. Not that much of an issue.

Now, what rolling that thumb (wrist) more forward does, is roll the whole support hand forward and down which creates torque helping tame recoil.
    I know this is an OLD thread, but after one day of shooting with Blaster229, I totally understand what the nuances he speaks of regarding " rolling that thumb (wrist) more forward... whole support hand.... helping tame recoil means.
    Blaster's work with my technique and his explanation for the why's and results achievable has stuck in my brain ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom