• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I was at a MD gun shop the other day and I saw an ar on the shelf with an m4 profile barrel but it was in 7.62x39 with ak mags. I'm pretty sure a guy was buying it as I was leaving. Is the hbar requirement only for 5.56? :shrug:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Correct, if the lower is not readily convertible to .223/5.56. The law specifically addresses .223/5.56. I've been looking at lightweight, dedicated-9mm ARs lately that are C&C. The new Stag 9mm is pretty slick in person.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Ok thanks. That's all I wanted to know. I think it just goes to show how dumb the laws are. The whole ban happened bc of "looks." I find it hilarious that you can still legally buy an ar with a pencil barrel that shoot AK ammo after they "banned" both the one version of the ar and all versions of the ak(except for pistols) :lol2:

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Correct, if the lower is not readily convertible to .223/5.56. The law specifically addresses .223/5.56. I've been looking at lightweight, dedicated-9mm ARs lately that are C&C. The new Stag 9mm is pretty slick in person.

Not really. All non-556 guns are being sold C&C right now, even if the lower is the same. The 762x39 Windham is legal (even MSP agrees on that one) and the lower is the same, even though the upper its sold with has an M4 cutout.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Not really. All non-556 guns are being sold C&C right now, even if the lower is the same. The 762x39 Windham is legal (even MSP agrees on that one) and the lower is the same, even though the upper its sold with has an M4 cutout.

I know they're only the enforcement but do you think msp realizes how asinine the whole thing is?
    The law was suppose to ban scary looking guns but all it really did was effect the part of the gun you can't see. :facepalm:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

I don't disagree. Just get them while you can. Might change on a whim. And understand that putting a .223/5.56 upper on said lower is a felony (for other people's reference, not yours).

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I don't disagree. Just get them while you can. Might change on a whim. And understand that putting a .223/5.56 upper on said lower is a felony (for other people's reference, not yours).

Incrementalism ... The gun-grabber's tool in trade.

Foretold is forewarned, especially if AG Frosh has his way.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Even more onerous for us. Incrementalism against a natural right by way of regulation instead of by law. Liberty turned on its head.

This is something that needs to be addressed with the Governor and Legislature.

By delegating firearm rules making to the MSP and COMAR, our constitutional rights have been subverted. Nothing new here in the PRofMD though; just look at the budget battle going on right now. Hogan is up against 'formula tax increases' that are basically controlled by the agencies that will benefit the most. Manipulate the data, get a budget increase. It's no different with COMAR when adding 'other' calibers to the HBAR definition. It's within MSP's delegated power to make that determination, and unless the Governor and the new MSP superintendent (whenever he/she is appointed and confirmed) puts their foot down, it will most likely happen.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    :shrug:

If you put an HBAR upper on it, it is not a felony. The AR -15 ban is NOT caliber specific.

There are shops that will not sell non .223 as C&C.

But I think Colt only made 5.56 and 9mm. So you could argue that any other caliber is not a Colt AR15

Feb 28, 2013
    Aren't liberals brilliant?

Same story all the time. Symbolism over substance.

If you put an HBAR upper on it, it is not a felony. The AR -15 ban is NOT caliber specific.

There are shops that will not sell non .223 as C&C.

But I think Colt only made 5.56 and 9mm. So you could argue that any other caliber is not a Colt AR15

Yes. To be a considered a copy, it would have to be the caliber. Otherwise, the parts wouldn't swap out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom