• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So I only have 3 c$r guns. 2 of which are pistols. Both of those I'm not very happy with after my last trip to the range.
    My P1 had multiple fte. At least 1, sometimes 2 per mag(measly 7rds)
    My cz50 is even worse. Ftf almost every other round. Sometimes I'd get lucky and go through a full mag without a problem.

So should I just deal with it? They're not HD guns. Mostly just collectable, with the added bonus of being (mostly) shootable. :shrug:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The p1 may need some springs. I have a WWII p38 that runs well.

Yeah I should probably do absearxh on my issues to see if I can fix them. I put about 50 eds through the p1 when I first go it with no issues. Took it to the range with my wife a few weeks ago. Ibwaa gonna have her try it but she saw all the trouble I was having and was like :outta her

The cz I originally had would not feed AT ALL. I sent it back and they sent me this one. It does better but still the ftfs are common.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I would personally expect better reliability than what you've described. I have put hundreds of rounds through my P1 without a single problem. I have only shot 20 to 25 rounds with my CZ50 but it hasn't shown any problems either. I have read that CZ50s can be very picky on ammo. I only had some Fiocchi and it worked for me.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    To some extent, you roll the dice with a C$R purchase. My rule of thumb is that if it's safe to shoot, and is otherwise as listed, the seller isn't cheating you if the springs are tired, it needs major cleaning, or something of that sort. Most volume dealers don't have any way to test every gun.

The Star Bs are a perfect example. You roll the dice with them. Some will eat anything that you feed them. Some need steel-cased ammo to stay in column in the mag, need a different mag, and/or need new springs (for a number of reasons discussed at length in other threads). You hope for the best and deal with what you get, and it's not really the fault of the dealer--unless it's clearly been trashed, or they advertise it as tested.

On the other hand, if the gun is clearly unsafe or broken, or they misrepresented it, that's a "shame on them"!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I don't blame it on the seller. I'm just unsure whether expecting a c$r pistol to be completely reliable is reasonable.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I can be sure that when I pull the trigger on my CZ50 and Walther P1 that they'll go bang.

Beyond that, there is no reliability. Disappointed in both. Guess that's why they're cheap and available.

Won't spend another penny on surplus pistols.

They will be going on GB once they've been in my books for a bit.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I can be sure that when I pull the trigger on my CZ50 and Walther P1 that they'll go bang.

Beyond that, there is no reliability. Disappointed in both. Guess that's why they're cheap and available.

Won't spend another penny on surplus pistols.

They will be going on GB once they've been in my books for a bit.

Yeah I'm kind of starting to feel the same way. I was pretty gung ho about the c$r thing last year. ya know, having them shipped right to your door and all. But I really prefer modern guns when it comes down to it.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    For me, I'd like them to be reliable, but part of the draw is the tinkering (springs, mag release, ammo). Beyond the simple non-gunsmithing issues, it'd get tedious to deal with. I haven't gotten a lemon yet, but haven't shot the Star B yet either...

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Have cz82, P1, P38, P64, M57, cz50, pre model 28, star B so far the only problem I've had is the mag on the cz50 would jam on the last round, New mag no more problems, I have not gotten the star B to the range yet.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's not hard to make these guns work. Some minor ramp work (don't polish any aluminum ramps like on the p1 frame), and some extractor contouring.

They need new springs though.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It's not hard to make these guns work. Some minor ramp work (don't polish any aluminum ramps like on the p1 frame), and some extractor contouring.

They need new springs though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into new springs at the very least.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I have a lot of FTE trouble with my modern 9mm pistol when using WWB. I'd try other ammo, and also some new springs. The WWB might just be too light a load for your P1.

Really? I've shot 1000s of rds of it and never a problem except in the p1. Now I'm confused. I looked up recoil, magazine, and hammer springs and there are all different weight. Not sure which ones to use :ohnoes:

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Really? I've shot 1000s of rds of it and never a problem except in the p1. Now I'm confused. I looked up recoil, magazine, and hammer springs and there are all different weight. Not sure which ones to use :ohnoes:

Check out Wolff Gunsprings at gunsprings.com. They offer a C&R discount.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Hungarian Tok, 2-CZ-82's, P-64
    No problems with function when firing with any, the Tok has a loose front sight and shoots totally different with the 2 kinds of surplus ammo used.

Think I only put Wolff springs in the P-64, but it worked with the stock springs fine, just a really stiff double-action stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom