• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I would assume magpul would do thorough testing, but I haven't handled one or fired with one so it would be unprofessional to say they are good, bad or indifferent. I'm very interested in these though because glocks mags have failed on me, especiay at the magazine catch (wear).

All I own for AR's in 5.56 that are not drums or surefire are pmags. I trust them very much. I'll take it further and say that I wouldn't trust an AR as much without the magazine improvements in the past decade the magazine was always the weak point of the AR and mags like the Pmag changed my perception of the finnicky AR magazine. I improve my pmags with cs flat wire springs to make the feed rate more consistent. Magpul doesn't use CS springs for or rosin reasons though. If a CS spring corrode it looses it's surface it degrades rapidly.

Thanks for the info Chad! I have mostly Pmags as well, although I do have some aluminum GI mags in case it turns out that polymer does unexpectedly degrade over long life spans. Although the more I think about, my future grandkids should just be able to print more magazines if that does turn out to be the case.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Thanks for the info Chad! I have mostly Pmags as well, although I do have some aluminum GI mags in case it turns out that polymer does unexpectedly degrade over long life spans. Although the more I think about, my future grandkids should just be able to print more magazines if that does turn out to be the case.
    That'll either be illegal or they'll track who prints what.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    I would assume magpul would do thorough testing, but I haven't handled one or fired with one so it would be unprofessional to say they are good, bad or indifferent. I'm very interested in these though because glocks mags have failed on me, especiay at the magazine catch (wear).

All I own for AR's in 5.56 that are not drums or surefire are pmags. I trust them very much. I'll take it further and say that I wouldn't trust an AR as much without the magazine improvements in the past decade the magazine was always the weak point of the AR and mags like the Pmag changed my perception of the finnicky AR magazine. I improve my pmags with cs flat wire springs to make the feed rate more consistent. Magpul doesn't use CS springs for or rosin reasons though. If a CS spring corrode it looses it's surface it degrades rapidly.

So you change the spring in the mag to a flat spring?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    KCI mags (not Kahn) are great mags for the money, I've never had one fail on me. Sometimes you need to take a new mag apart and cleanup the poly but that's it. Would not trust my life to one but a steel lined glock mag for 7 bucks is a heck of a deal

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    KCI mags (not Kahn) are great mags for the money, I've never had one fail on me. Sometimes you need to take a new mag apart and cleanup the poly but that's it. Would not trust my life to one but a steel lined glock mag for 7 bucks is a heck of a deal

Shot 200 rounds through several KCI's (in 9 and .40) yesterday and not a single issue.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So you change the spring in the mag to a flat spring?

I only do this with AR mags, but if they made flat springs for blocks I would gibe them a try too. There's a video that David tubb didaboutnthem that peaked my interest and found he was accurate in their application. The down side is you have to keep a good protectant on them or they will rust and fail.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    I only do this with AR mags, but if they made flat springs for blocks I would gibe them a try too. There's a video that David tubb didaboutnthem that peaked my interest and found he was accurate in their application. The down side is you have to keep a good protectant on them or they will rust and fail.

I just put a flat spring in my SPR, What's a good lube for it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I just put a flat spring in my SPR, What's a good lube for it?

For the Action(Buffer Springs) and Magazine Springs I use Barricade or Eezox. They are superb protectants. Barricade is a better lube though. WD 40 is a great protectant but it can gum up so I would keep it in it of areas where things move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom