• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfan

Oct 24, 2010
    AA county
    Is all this MG vs SBR vs Pistol nonsense as far as MGs are concerned cleared up?

I am waiting to buy a MAC and don't want to put some silly 16 inch barrel on it just to get it through.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    They are and always have been fine. Machine guns are regulated differently than the FSA2013 crap. Just had an m10 approved 2 months ago, had an FNC go through before that

Fordfan

Oct 24, 2010
    AA county
    I just thought ATF was kicking back for MD stuff due to the OAL issues. I agree it isn't semi auto therefore it shouldn't matter. But there were issues.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Not necessarily. My M10 was approved but its a Powder Springs so pre 85 and doesn't need to be on the handgun roster. A SWD mac can be 85-86 and will have to be on the roster.
    It's not an ATF issue. It's a 'can your FFL legally transfer it to you after the paperwork is approved' issue.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I'm still running into an error with my paperwork requiring a 77r. The new 77r appears to require the handgun permit as well.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I have called MSP and ATF. ATF said that the regulations with SB281 are unclear. MSP said that the MAC will have to have a 16" barrel or be longer than 29" or be listed. They also said that MG's can't be an assault pistol by definition, so they are not ban. They made it very clear that the ATF should not deny your paperwork due to the registry. I was told that MSP would be meeting with ATF very soon on this issue. We are still in the dark.

Last edited:

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    Shouldn't be, NFA was not addressed in SB281 only semi-auto AW's, and copy cats, more importantly semi-auto copy cats.

Pre Oct. 1 NFA rules still apply to non semi-auto's.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Shouldn't be, NFA was not addressed in SB281.

Pre Oct. 1 NFA rules still

FIFY... However MSP has thrown a large net and is slowly backing it off. We just saw them come off AR receivers. We have seen them back down from all SBRs. I expect that in time we might see the SB281 net completely release the NFA but for now, we must try and figure out how they intend to misinterpret it for now.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    I'm looking for it now. There was a list posted on here recently explaining OAL and how it applied to each item. The first one stated that if the item was not a semi auto, that the length could be less than 29".

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    > In the last advisory from MSP that was posted, OAL was said to not affect MGs<

This. But should read SB281 does not affect MG's.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    So FWIW stamp came in the mail today for Mac11. 9in barrel 21in overall. ATF had been giving us the runaround but finally approved it. The sale was initiated and paperwork sent in prior to Oct 1. At first we were told they didn't care when it was sold. After lots of calls and emails the Story changed very quickly and all was approved.
    Can't speak for anything done post oct 1.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    According to 2A in Jessup, they won't do a MAC11 transfer due to the AOL issue. Don't ask me how I know!

Jim Smith

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    According to 2A in Jessup, they won't do a MAC11 transfer due to the AOL issue. Don't ask me how I know!

Jim Smith

You mean OAL I suspect. There are at least two ways around this. One is to put a >16" barrel on (either carbine barrel or pin one of those fake suppressors on.) Look at the pic below: 16-1/8" :innocent0

Plus, Some M11s are old enough to not need to be on the roster either. I'll have to check my MacMan book but I think RBD was defunct by 85 and it was SWD by then. So any RPB M11 would predate needing to be on the MD handgun roster. (I think. Need to check the book.) Thats why you can transfer Powder Spring M10s w/o the roster. They are all pre-85.

Attachments

• IMAG1151_M11-9_pinned_barrel.jpg
      IMAG1151_M11-9_pinned_barrel.jpg
      21.7 KB · Views: 298

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    You mean OAL I suspect. There are at least two ways around this. One is to put a >16" barrel on (either carbine barrel or pin one of those fake suppressors on.) Look at the pic below: 16-1/8" :innocent0

Plus, Some M11s are old enough to not need to be on the roster either. I'll have to check my MacMan book but I think RBD was defunct by 85 and it was SWD by then. So any RPB M11 would predate needing to be on the MD handgun roster. (I think. Need to check the book.) Thats why you can transfer Powder Spring M10s w/o the roster. They are all pre-85.

You are correct. RPB bought the flats and tooling when MAC went under in the mid 70s. RPB went under when the ATF banned their semi autos which was 82-83 I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom