• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    No matter the situation, one can never have "enough" ammo. When I come across a good value and have funds available, it is meant to be.

Reloading has created it's own list of needs that must be met and are closely tied to ammo on hand. Luckily, I have a decent inventory of components and have survived the gougers, so far. Still loading for much less than current market prices on everything I shoot:)

Like most, I keep a few hundred rounds of everything with more .223 and 9mm than anything else.

Always being one to choose the proper tool for the job, my nightstand is stocked with .38, 9mm, 9x18Mak and 7.62x25 caliber tools and spare mags/loaders.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is the amount of "enough" ammo in direct relation to the number of firearms or even the type you have?

For example, if you own a single 9mm semi auto with 10 round mags, do you need less ammo than if you owned an AR-15 with 30 round mags? Does owning a shotgun mean that you need less because each shell (if you have 00 buck and/or slugs) does more damage?

Only if that impacts your volume of shooting.

I almost never shoot buckshot, so I only have a few boxes of it. World ends, I don’t expect a shotgun is what I’d be packing around with me. If it is, hopefully the 40-60 rounds of buck I have would be enough. I’ve got a couple boxes of waterfowl shot, a few boxes of Turkey shot. A couple boxes of #6 field loads. A lot of boxes (2 flats?) of #7.5 and 8. Because I had been doing a fair amount of clays shooting. And that could be used for small game like squirrels, dove and rabbits.

That’s enough for a couple years of recreational shooting and a LONG time if the world feel apart. But I am fine needing to take a step back from shotgun sports. I enjoy it, but it is more social shooting and I just haven’t done that much since the pandemic.

So I still haven’t touched much of my shotgun shells.

Outside if that, my goal would be to have 10 years of ammo on hand at the volume I shoot at. Either loaded or reloading components for each gun I own. I’d guess I have between 7-15 years for just about everything. 223/5.56 I probably don’t. Maybe more like 5 years worth if I step things up a little.

22lr I may not now as I finally got a 22 pistol. So I doubt the (guessing) 8-10k 22lr I have might last me 3-4 years. Before as much as I was shooting my 10/22 that was probably close to 10 years of shooting. But I’ve been shooting handguns a ton more than rifles late. So my buckmark is probably going to get taken to the range with me anytime I go to the range to shoot handguns unless I am time limited/need to test a specific thing. Just like my 10/22 got taken to the range with me almost anytime I was taking long guns to the range with me unless I figured I might not have the time to shoot it.

Other times I was taking my 10/22 to the range and that was it.

The difference between shooting 50-100 rounds of 22lr and 150-200 rounds of 22lr.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Enough depends on what you are preparing for.

If it is a home invasion how many invaders you expect times the average number of rounds you will need to incapacitate each invader.

If it is SHTF time and you need to repel multiple outlaw biker gangs then your needs increase.

If it is the Zombie apocalypse then you will need both increased stopping power and stock in depth quantities.

The ultimate would be preparing for the invasion of space aliens which will require military sized stockpiles of military grade supplies.

So there is no simple one size fits all answer.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Is that for a self punched ticket?

Yup, cause face it no matter how much ammo you have you will be over run at some point. Use to work for a farmer/prepper who lived right on the edge of a city and he thought hed be able to survive by still farming and growing right there. Now if you was in the middle of no wheres and well stocked, and had friends and family to help then maybe. I living on the eastern shore pretty much know we all are doomed if most shtf scenarios happen. Unless you have access to a BIG fuel efficient boat your not going to get off of the shore.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Amount of ammo like others have said, depends on what you are preparing for. To fend off those attacking your home, others gave a simple way to calculate. If you figure you will be joining a militia as part of a force to protect the country, any more than what you can carry would be waisted.

In a SHHTF scenario, ammunition may be a good source of barter goods. In that case, the more you have the better. In that case, our currency will be worthless and food, energy and ammunition will be the new currency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Amount of ammo like others have said, depends on what you are preparing for. To fend off those attacking your home, others gave a simple way to calculate. If you figure you will be joining a militia as part of a force to protect the country, any more than what you can carry would be waisted.

In a SHHTF scenario, ammunition may be a good source of barter goods. In that case, the more you have the better. In that case, our currency will be worthless and food, energy and ammunition will be the new currency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And whiskey

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    … Too much ammo, what's that mean?
    It's like too much money, there's no such thing
    It's like a girl too pretty with too much class
    Being too lucky, a car too fast

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    You know magazines are reusable right? Just checking.

"If" you have time to recover them. The expected scenario isn't the local square range. If we are all in our SHTF mode, if you think you're going to run offense you're probably gonna die, considering general conditions, medical care etc. If you are stopping to pick up expended mags while doing a break contact, you're probably gonna die doing it. Considering overall, mags are cheap and disposable.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    … Too much ammo, what's that mean?
    It's like too much money, there's no such thing
    It's like a girl too pretty with too much class
    Being too lucky, a car too fast

Too much ammo is like having too much gas in your airplane, it's only an issue if you are on fire. :party29:

Sirex