• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Does anyone know of any businesses in Frederick that will sell metal stock to consumers?

I need two 9-foot sections of 1" 304 stainless square tube with .12" wall thickness. The usual online shops I've used in the past are insanely expensive for shipping - it costs more than the steel does. Bought a few 8 foot sections from Online Metals a few years ago and shipping was reasonable, now it's around $250.

Frederick Steel and Rail used to have it but no longer sells over the counter, large orders to businesses only now. Grainger only has 6 foot lengths, Posner's might sell small orders but doesn't have the right wall thickness, hardware stores are hardware stores so of course they don't have stainless square tubing.

Needs to be stainless.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Contact Clark Welding on Rt.355 at Evergreen Point. It's been a lot of years but I used to buy metal stock from them. If they can't help maybe they can direct you to where you can find what you want.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Contact Clark Welding on Rt.355 at Evergreen Point. It's been a lot of years but I used to buy metal stock from them. If they can't help maybe they can direct you to where you can find what you want.

Clark Welding is under a new name now, but yeah, they were my spot to buy metal too. Hopefully the owners still sell to customers off the street.

Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County

If you can avoid them cutting anything, they are reasonable. Prices to cut the stock are outrageous. Bring a big enough truck/trailer to haul whatever size they sell and cut it yourself.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I checked Posner's again and it turns out they did in fact have the correct wall thickness I needed, just wasn't in stock in Frederick. I placed an order and they'll have it on Monday from their Capitol Heights location, which is pretty good all things considered. Saved $200+ in shipping!

Edit: Shipping to Frederick from their Capitol Heights store so I don't need to make the trip.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I have had outstanding success with Cheney Flashings in Beltsville for all things SS. They custom cut and bent many pieces for me for a small fraction of the price that anyone else charged for an off the shelf item that didn't meet the specs I needed.

Don't know if it would be worth that trip, but if you are going to capitol heights, beltsville is probably a little bit closer.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I have had outstanding success with Cheney Flashings in Beltsville for all things SS. They custom cut and bent many pieces for me for a small fraction of the price that anyone else charged for an off the shelf item that didn't meet the specs I needed.

Don't know if it would be worth that trip, but if you are going to capitol heights, beltsville is probably a little bit closer.

No trip needed for me, that's the best part: they're shipping it to their Frederick store from their Capitol Heights store at no charge to me.

I did find other suppliers in Beltsville, Metal Supermarkets being one of them, along with other suppliers east of Baltimore. Since most aren't open on weekends, I really didn't want to take a day off work to drive out that far to pick it up if I didn't have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom