• ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank You DD214 Wish I had said it sooner

RIP Don and Thank You.

MDS had been pointed out to me by another firearms instructor as a place to post/list the courses I was teaching. I posted a few classes in the training section of the forum and was immediately PM'd by a few members including DD214. They all asked the same question, who was I and did I have the proper credentials to teach the classes I was offering? I sent off a response with copies of said creds and the post were allowed to stay.

Several months later I took notice of the an upcoming Meet and Greet to be held in California, MD. It was in an Irish pub which has since been closed, the name escapes me. I knew several members of MDS from shooting IDPA at Sanners Lake SC so I felt comfortable going and taking my wife along. We arrived and were quickly greeted by Don. He introduced himself and told me he would like to talk privately before I left. We stepped out on the back patio which was empty at the time and he asked me to list Genesis Firearms as an IP. He explained that it wouldn't cost me anything, so I decided to give it a try. I didn't know how much that would jump start my business. I don't even think he knew.

Fast forward a year and I was in a bad position. Construction work had slowed down to a crawl and I was out of work. My only income came from the classes I was teaching. Advertising is a huge expense and Don refused to take anything for being an IP at the time. Honestly I didn't have the money to pay him but I felt I should offer. I was out of work for nearly 6 months. I attempted to list a class somewhere in Maryland every weekend. The members of MDS keep our classes full and because of that I kept our mortgage up to date. Several of my former co-workers lost their homes that year. We weren't living high on the hog but the bills were paid.

I can't say how my family and I would have made it through those lean times if it weren't for Don simply being kind and inviting me to sign up as an IP.

I haven't been on the forum as much over the past few years. To many excuses to list as to why that is. I to have made many great friends many of which I now call Brother. Don did this for so many of us and we only think to recognize his work now that he is gone.

Thank you Don, I wish I had said it sooner.

FlyBy01

May 13, 2021
    Southern Maryland
    Don is survived by his wife and three children. Our family is currently doing what we can for Don's family at this time. I will ask the family if they have any special requests from the community here.

Holden McGroin

I'm the Juggernaut..Bitch
    Jan 9, 2008
    Dameron, MD
    RIP Don and Thank You.

MDS had been pointed out to me by another firearms instructor as a place to post/list the courses I was teaching. I posted a few classes in the training section of the forum and was immediately PM'd by a few members including DD214. They all asked the same question, who was I and did I have the proper credentials to teach the classes I was offering? I sent off a response with copies of said creds and the post were allowed to stay.

Several months later I took notice of the an upcoming Meet and Greet to be held in California, MD. It was in an Irish pub which has since been closed, the name escapes me. I knew several members of MDS from shooting IDPA at Sanners Lake SC so I felt comfortable going and taking my wife along. We arrived and were quickly greeted by Don. He introduced himself and told me he would like to talk privately before I left. We stepped out on the back patio which was empty at the time and he asked me to list Genesis Firearms as an IP. He explained that it wouldn't cost me anything, so I decided to give it a try. I didn't know how much that would jump start my business. I don't even think he knew.

Fast forward a year and I was in a bad position. Construction work had slowed down to a crawl and I was out of work. My only income came from the classes I was teaching. Advertising is a huge expense and Don refused to take anything for being an IP at the time. Honestly I didn't have the money to pay him but I felt I should offer. I was out of work for nearly 6 months. I attempted to list a class somewhere in Maryland every weekend. The members of MDS keep our classes full and because of that I kept our mortgage up to date. Several of my former co-workers lost their homes that year. We weren't living high on the hog but the bills were paid.

I can't say how my family and I would have made it through those lean times if it weren't for Don simply being kind and inviting me to sign up as an IP.

I haven't been on the forum as much over the past few years. To many excuses to list as to why that is. I to have made many great friends many of which I now call Brother. Don did this for so many of us and we only think to recognize his work now that he is gone.

Thank you Don, I wish I had said it sooner.
    That was Donavan’s Pub, owned by a fellow Naval Aircrewman. Now it’s a Mexican restaurant called Plaza Tolteca.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Don is survived by his wife and three children. Our family is currently doing what we can for Don's family at this time. I will ask the family if they have any special requests from the community here.

About 11 years ago, a different forum I am part of held a fund drive to stuff the college fund for the 10 year old daughter of a brother who had died in an accident. We collected 14k in a few days and cut a check to the college fund. I just googled and facebook-stalked the young lady and she has been on the deans-list for her state university for the the past two years. I dont know what she is majoring in, but it looks like the money went to a good use.

If the family sets up a trust account to support the education of his children, I have no doubt that there are generous members on here who would chip in the equivalent of a box of 5.56 .

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It was DB McMillan's Irish Pub. Been a long time, but I was there also. I helped organize a couple of the meet and greets around here.

I remember that meet and greet. The one and only time I met Don.

Thats is where I met both of you for the first time. Punch i was going through old photos last night and found a few of you at the FNRA dinner where you were literally punching a bear.

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    Thats is where I met both of you for the first time. Punch i was going through old photos last night and found a few of you at the FNRA dinner where you were literally punching a bear.

Haha I think I still have that one somewhere too.
    I thoroughly enjoyed those meet and greets back in the day.

Ammo70

May 16, 2021
    Alexandria, VA
    My Brother, DD214

Dear MD Shooters Community,

My brother, Don Foster (DD214), passed away on Thursday, May 13th at 6:15 p.m. We are all devastated. He left behind three beautiful children: Chase (21), Alisa (16), and James (14). In lieu of flowers, we have set-up a GoFundMe account and all donations will be deposited into a 529 college savings account for each of them. We are so grateful for any support.

https://gofund.me/c795f34a

I have been reading through all of the comments this morning on this thread about my brother and I'm beaming with pride. He was passionate about this community and so proud of all of you. My husband and I attended one of the shoots years ago at DelMarVA and it was an event I will never forget. If I must say so myself, I had an even better shot than Don ;). Thank you for saying such kind words about my brother. I will share them with our entire family.

With great appreciation,

Amber Schwartz
    amberschwartz7@gmail.com

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

My brother, Don Foster (DD214), passed away on Thursday, May 13th at 6:15 p.m. We are all devastated. He left behind three beautiful children: Chase (21), Alisa (16), and James (14). In lieu of flowers, we have set-up a GoFundMe account and all donations will be deposited into a 529 college savings account for each of them. We are so grateful for any support.

I have been reading through all of the comments this morning on this thread about my brother and I'm beaming with pride. He was passionate about this community and so proud of all of you. My husband and I attended one of the shoots years ago at DelMarVA and it was an event I will never forget. If I must say so myself, I had an even better shot than Don ;). Thank you for saying such kind words about my brother. I will share them with our entire family.

With great appreciation,

Amber Schwartz
    amberschwartz7@gmail.com

I never knew him. But his idea for this community changed the course of this hobby recreationally and politically in this state forever. What a thing he built here.

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I offer my sincerest condolences in this time of mourning. Don left an imprint on many thousands of people despite meeting only a small minority of them.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I cant believe it, this is just so sad. My condolences to his family and friends. This forum has been my daily go-to for the last 13 years because of Don's hard work and vision and the people those things attracted. RIP Don, your legacy carries on.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

With great appreciation,

Amber Schwartz

amberschwartz7@gmail.com

So sorry for your loss. We are collectively shocked and saddened. Don's impact was large and will be lasting. Thank you for sharing information on how we can help.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

With great appreciation,

Amber Schwartz
    amberschwartz7@gmail.com
    Thanks for the link. Glad to help.

Prayers up for the family.

Let’s destroy this goal, fellows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member