45 Acres in Baltimore County - Now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I suggest to do both. Many people don't know what the blue stripes mean (many states south of here use purple). Add signs at anything that could be a point of ingress.

Yeah, I hear parents who tag along on our Hunter Eduction field walk all the time say "so thats what it means". Its a good to help them, as well.

People move into Maryland and do not read the hunting regulations or do not apply what they read to the real world.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Look at a map for the metropolitan area as defined in the county code.

You can not discharge a firearm within that area. Make sure your area is out of it. There should be a map posted at any of the precincts. I'm guessing if you have 45 acres you are likely outside the area but you never know.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    45 acres? Walk the land, learn the land... don't worry about bumping deer, they will be back.... you want a "sanctuary" for the deer and a feeding area. Set up a small food plot, hunt the trails to it or the field edges. Try to stay out of the sanctuary. Lots of good info on state websites regarding management.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    45 acres? Walk the land, learn the land... don't worry about bumping deer, they will be back.... you want a "sanctuary" for the deer and a feeding area. Set up a small food plot, hunt the trails to it or the field edges. Try to stay out of the sanctuary. Lots of good info on state websites regarding management.

People don't realize how important the sanctuary aspect of land is as it pertains to deer. They can be easily created by just knocking down a few trees in an area and letting nature take its course.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    People don't realize how important the sanctuary aspect of land is as it pertains to deer. They can be easily created by just knocking down a few trees in an area and letting nature take its course.
    Just be sure to have your sanctuary in the middle of the property or in an area that isn't near any hunting areas on neighboring land.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

And then trying to stay out of it.

I'd try not to set it up right at your property edge. If the terrain allows, a trail all around the edge of your property is good. As a few have mentioned, I'd make sure to put up a few signs along with the paint. DNR on their website had the requirements, but it is something like 4 feet off the ground, at least 2 feet long and 4in wide or something like that. And has to be like every 10 feet or something. I'd suggest that within reason try to have a sign within visible distance all around the property coming up to it. Seeing the side is okay too, especially if you blazed. Right on public areas like roads I'd plaster with signs. There you are more likely to get the people who don't know better. The ones coming in from other private property know better and the blazes and a handful of signs are to keep them honest or back you up when you tell them to GTFO your property. Kindly of course. The backup is when you call DNR or the police if they are reluctant to leave or you get a repeat trespasser and you can point to the fact that it is appropriately marked.

I could be wrong, but in general even if your property is marked cops aren't going to charge anyone with trespassing unless maybe they've jumped a fence. Unless it happens more than once or there is something else going on, like they can tell the person is probably poaching, or you've told them they are trespassing and refuse to leave.

Also since it is your property...stands and blinds! It'll probably take you awhile to figure out the busier deer corridors, bedding, etc areas but you'll eventually learn them. Permenant stands are nice, in some ways better are blinds, cause they can keep the wind off and keep you a tiny bit warmer.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Post no trespassing signs around the border to keep poachers off the property. That was a big problem when I hunter Baltimore Co.

This is mentioned a few times, do it. Walk the perimeter regularly. Look for blinds/tree stands. Someone(s) may have gotten comfortable hunting there the last few years. Make it clear there's a new sheriff in town. Grant no use and get a liability policy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So true than many don't know about the "blue blazes" I learned about this on MDS.

One thing I've wondered is, what are other color blazes for?

I've seen red and yellow occasionally. I know sometimes they are used for marking free for removal/lumber, but I've seen red all along a property line before.

Dumb property owner? Or is it marking something else, like "hunting permitted" or something?

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    One thing I've wondered is, what are other color blazes for?

I've seen red and yellow occasionally. I know sometimes they are used for marking free for removal/lumber, but I've seen red all along a property line before.

Dumb property owner? Or is it marking something else, like "hunting permitted" or something?

Good question.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    If the property has not been Surveyed, do so as soon as possible. Make sure you have "permanent" markers at each junction.
    Paint the property line trees with BLUE paint, either Vertical strips, or horizontal bands around the trees, at least at 25 yard intervals. more the better.
    Walk the property( Learn how to use a Compass) in the Winter looking for intruder Hunting stands left prior to your Purchase. Map the locations, GPS handhelds are a great tool. Look for "Trail" markers, either reflectors or ribbons of any color. Critters do not leave those things. They are evidence of intruders.
    "Post" the property with NO Trespassing/No Hunting signs and include your preferred contact information. Hunting season is nearly over, but wear BLAZE ORANGE when walking the property.( Do so ALL the time) By the end of January, Hunting is "closed", but Turkey season starts in April, I believe. You have a good window to check things out.
    Check the "lay" of the property. DNR has all the rules, and friends who are Seasoned hunters are usually good sources of info.
    Good Luck
    R

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What in the blue blazes!?!

Actually, I mean, what are blue blazes?

OP- with that much acreage you might want to consider opening a private outdoor range, with semi-permanent metal stages/targets. Try to make it inexpensive and go for volume; folks would happily pay $5 a 'round' to shoot a simple tactical course. I could help you design it, that's half the fun!

I shot the Steel Challenge at AAFG this morning, what a great sport. If they could be made in a way that they could sit outside all the time and be easily reset, it would be a wonderful course of fire/sport. If feasible, make a small trail (for an ATV) to enable you to patrol the entire plot of land. Happy hunting!

45 acres is alright, but it isn't really a lot of property in the hunting world. My main concern would be to make sure that the deer are coming around and staying around. I'd figure out ways to hold the deer there. Sounds like most of it is wooded, so no standing crops to hold the deer there. It might be more of an area where the deer go for sanctuary when they are not feeding. Best bet might be to pattern the deer. A good set of binoculars might be the best thing for scouting 45 acres. Driving an ATV throughout all the property wouldn't be conducive to holding deer there. If you are harassing the deer each and every day as you look for trespassers, the deer are going to go where there is less pressure. The deer have no idea that somebody is on an ATV without a firearm or with a firearm. They see any person out in the woods as a hunter. Check for trespassers and deer with the binoculars and call the police when you find the former. Take notes on the latter.

Opening a for profit shooting range will open the OP up to all kinds of liability. For $5 a head, I don't know if I would even think about doing something like that. Instead of hunting and enjoying his property, he would have to deal with a shooting range on the weekends in his backyard. Not only that, but then every strange from everywhere will be coming by and seeing what he has. When a piece of equipment goes missing, will it be a surprise.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Vertical blue paint stripes on trees denote property lines symbolically.

Cheaper than posting signs, safer because no nails are going in trees to gum up a chainsaw later.

This is what you need to adhere to if you want to make your property trespass proof in the eyes of the law:

Article Criminal Law

§6–402.
    (a) A person may not enter or trespass on property that is posted conspicuously against trespass by:
    (1) signs placed where they reasonably may be seen; or
    (2) paint marks that:
    (i) conform with regulations that the Department of Natural Resources adopts under § 5–209 of the Natural Resources Article; and
    (ii) are made on trees or posts that are located:
    1. at each road entrance to the property; and
    2. adjacent to public roadways, public waterways, and other
    land adjoining the property.
    (b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to:
    (1) for a first violation, imprisonment not exceeding 90 days or a fine not exceeding $500 or both;
    (2) for a second violation occurring within 2 years after the first violation, imprisonment not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both; and
    (3) for each subsequent violation occurring within 2 years after the preceding violation, imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding $2,500 or both.

DNR has adopted blue as the color of choice.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Possible exception to keeping everyone out is making agreement with neighbors to have mutual access to your bordering properties. Depends on your neighbor.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    I'd bet anything if you are charging it, you must register it with the county or state and deal with all the regulations.

And liability, and insurance. Not worth the $5. Set it up the way you want it for you and your friends, but keep it free. If your friends bring the ammo, or barley pops (for after) that's one thing. Asking them to do this, or charging them even a small fee makes you "commercial" in many jurisdictions, and potentially increases your liability even if not regulated. Having lived in Maryland, my money's on "regulated".

aoxomoxoa

Jul 7, 2016
    Baltimore County, MD
    Congratulations and welcome to the area!

I would read the MD / Baltimore County hunting regulations for yourself, since others' interpretations might not be accurate. For example one of my neighbors thinks that hunting is only in the fall, and I keep telling them there could be hunting year-round.

I also recommend marking your boundaries with both blue paint and no trespassing signs, since some will claim they don't know what the blue paint means, or think it is a trail blaze. People will claim they just thought it was all "open" or public land. Some people don't bother to take the five minutes to look at the free online parcel maps (another one) with owner contact information.

mesmithwesson

Jan 8, 2013
    Congratulations and welcome to the area!

I would read the MD / Baltimore County hunting regulations for yourself, since others' interpretations might not be accurate. For example one of my neighbors thinks that hunting is only in the fall, and I keep telling them there could be hunting year-round.

I also recommend marking your boundaries with both blue paint and no trespassing signs, since some will claim they don't know what the blue paint means, or think it is a trail blaze. People will claim they just thought it was all "open" or public land. Some people don't bother to take the five minutes to look at the free online parcel maps (another one) with owner contact information.

The HuntStand app may also help with locating boundaries although it uses your phones GPS that is not as accurate as a survey. Then again it is free and a surveyor can be $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom