• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm moving to Fairfax next month and am looking for advice on places to shoot. I know the NRA range is close, but it doesn't fit well with what I like to shoot. I'd like to be able to shoot my machine guns and do long range shooting as well. Being able to shoot steel is a big bonus.

Any outdoor, 200 yard+ / MG friendly ranges within an hour of Fairfax? I'm having a hard time finding one.

-Jim

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I just remembered that there's Range 82 in Midland. I believe membership is $300 a year and they have a 200yd range.

I actually still do my outdoor shooting at BCC-IWLA in Poolesville. It's about 35 miles one way from where I am, but that's one mile closer than where I used to live in MD, and with a smaller stretch of 495. It's usually not a problem driving there on Saturday or early Sunday, but the Legion bridge can get real backed up on Sunday at around 11AM. The only downsides of driving there to shoot are that I can't carry, and I can't bring the evil black rifles I picked up in VA.

I live not 10 minutes away and the pricing really puts me off.

I've been meaning to shoot their high power matches but never have time. Even with their pricing, the waiting list can be as long as four years.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yes check out 340. it's been a few years but was able to shoot full auto and 50bmg there. and they had a buncha steel.

it's further west, but also check out www.peacemakernational.com. pretty sure they allow full auto but definitely check. a bunch of rifle/pistol bays and long range opportunities as well.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I live in Loudoun and shoot at the Cove campground in Gore,VA. It's about an hour drive but usually make a day of it. It's only 100 yards but everything goes. $17/day. They have steel targets but you can also bring your own reactive targets. My daughter and I shot cans of hairspray a few months ago.
    Also, I was told by the range officer and one of the owners that they are clearing out some of their land for a 700 yard range. Estimated completion is fall 2017.

Photo of me shooting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      72.9 KB · Views: 220

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I use Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn, mainly because its close to me, I'm there in 10 or 15 minutes depending on traffic and Costco and the car wash are on the way home......and if I'm in the mood or have a bud with me Old Ox microbrew is a couple of hundred yards away. They have three indoor ranges, two 25 yd and one 50 yd.....no green tip or other armor piercing ammo. No restriction on FA as long as you can control it....I've shot pistol caliber FA with no problems. It can be crowded sometimes, especially later in the day on the weekends. I think membership is something like $30 a month, no limit on how often or how long you use it, I think guest are $10 or something. The ROs are pretty cool for the most part and have always watched out for me.....I think the first line management is a little lacking. I think ammo and other merchandise are over priced but then who buys retail these days. Some of the people I've seen on the range are first timers and so new it's almost painful.....but no way as scary as the guys I used to see at Maryland Small arms over in PG county. I usually go once or twice a week and am usually in and out in way under an hour. .....having said all that I miss shooting steel and other reactive targets in the outdoors and it sounds like a trip to 340 or the cove looks like great options....if anyone wants to do a road trip let me know, especially after deer season is over.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Alexandria Fairfax IWLA has a beautiful facility in Centreville, no MG's (?) and only 100yds. Took my NRA Instructor class there. Would be a member if it wasn't so far!!!

http://arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/

Does anyone here know a member who can bring me and my daughter in as a guest? I would like to see the range and maybe have a quick shoot there, and see how my 14-year old daughter feels about going there. I hope to apply for membership but want to see the range first. I recently relocated to Fairfax and driving down to Fredericksburg for IPSC matches is not so easy, so I'm going to do more recreational shooting with my daughter.
    thanks for any help.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Does anyone here know a member who can bring me and my daughter in as a guest? I would like to see the range and maybe have a quick shoot there, and see how my 14-year old daughter feels about going there. I hope to apply for membership but want to see the range first. I recently relocated to Fairfax and driving down to Fredericksburg for IPSC matches is not so easy, so I'm going to do more recreational shooting with my daughter.
    thanks for any help.

I'd go to one of these

Our annual ladies-only “Women on Target” event
    A monthly bull’s-eye pistol match
    A seasonal monthly Service Rifle match
    A monthly Bull Run Muzzle loaders shoot
    High Power rifle practice
    Amateur Trapshooting Association or National Skeet Shooting Association ‘registered target’ shoots
    A junior in one of our Youth Activities programs
    NOVA Sharpshooters for Sportier or Precision Air Rifle
    The Queen Ann Archers
    Junior Olympic Archery Development

just to take a look around. And if you want a closer action shooting match, http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/calendar2.php hosts a month USPSA and Steel Challenge match. You'll need to go through a background check, since it's on Marine Corps Base Quantico, prior to going. Hopefully, President Trump will kick that requirement back :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom