• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I'm looking at picking up a couple of game cameras for the farm this year. Bout time I see what is out there.

Anyone have any advice? I'd like to get away with as cheap as possible for a quality camera, don't think I need many bells and whistles?

Let me hear your thoughts.

As always, thank you

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    There really are a lot to choose from these days and a lot of legitimate websites other than the big boys will sell them cheaper. Based on my own personal experiences, I would look in the $130-$200 range. As with most things, I avoid the cheapest and most expensive when possible. That range should get you a good and durable camera.

First, figure out if you want white flash or infrared. White flash is just like a traditional camera and is cheapest. You have other choices in infrared: red flash, low glow, no glow. White flash is the cheapest, but I won't use it anymore since infrared has given me better experiences, especially more repeat sightings of mature bucks. I personally would look for either low or no glow flash. That apparently means different things to different manufacturers though. We are currently running Moultrie M880's (low glow) and M990's (no glow) with zero complaints.

You also need to look at batteries. I will not consider a camera that doesn't operate on AA's anymore. With lithium's, you can get 10,000 or more pictures on a set and cold weather isn't as harsh on them. We are getting around 9,000 pictures on a set in our Moultrie's and other cameras can do better.

Most any camera will have features you want and more. So unless you want time lapse or video with audio, the feature set will probably not limit your options too much.

Sites like chasinggame.com and trailcampro.com have a ton information, reviews, and testing.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    There really are a lot to choose from these days and a lot of legitimate websites other than the big boys will sell them cheaper. Based on my own personal experiences, I would look in the $130-$200 range. As with most things, I avoid the cheapest and most expensive when possible. That range should get you a good and durable camera.

First, figure out if you want white flash or infrared. White flash is just like a traditional camera and is cheapest. You have other choices in infrared: red flash, low glow, no glow. White flash is the cheapest, but I won't use it anymore since infrared has given me better experiences, especially more repeat sightings of mature bucks. I personally would look for either low or no glow flash. That apparently means different things to different manufacturers though. We are currently running Moultrie M880's (low glow) and M990's (no glow) with zero complaints.

You also need to look at batteries. I will not consider a camera that doesn't operate on AA's anymore. With lithium's, you can get 10,000 or more pictures on a set and cold weather isn't as harsh on them. We are getting around 9,000 pictures on a set in our Moultrie's and other cameras can do better.

Most any camera will have features you want and more. So unless you want time lapse or video with audio, the feature set will probably not limit your options too much.

Sites like chasinggame.com and trailcampro.com have a ton information, reviews, and testing.

Thanks for the great info, I really appreciate it!

With all the options, I was getting overwhelmed. This is a great starting point in my search. It also seems that most people are happy with their Moultrie's.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Skip the moultre d5. The shutter is too sensitive it goes off every time the wind blows. I had hundreds of pictures caused by leaves in the trees moving 20-80 feet away. It also stops working when it gets near freezing outside.
    Spend a few extra dollars and get a nicer model.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ive got a moultrie m80 and m100. Both take great pictures. The 100 is worth the extra money though.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Game cameras are a lot of fun. Depending on where you put them, they might get torn up or lost. Where I put them, bears can be problematic. With that in mind, I recommend getting them on the cheaper side. Also, having several out is better. You really don't need lots of megapixels. What can matter is trigger time. They need a small amount of time to wake up (charge the CCD) and take the picture. I'd suggest putting them up over bait too.

It really is a lot of fun to think about what might be happening at your hunting site when you are off at some boring meeting during the day or such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom