So No CCW, What Are Your Options for Protection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Light a Baltimore Sun newspaper on fire and throw it at the Bad Guy. If that doesn't work at least there will be one less bad newspaper on the street.

Seriously though, pepper spray, taser, or a knife.

Last edited:

Lunchbox

Nov 8, 2007
    AA Co.
    I have some friends that are taking Krav Maga in Columbia. I've been tempted to go sign up, from what I understand its a work out, and also one of the most effective hand to hand combat techniques designed to maim someone as quick as possible... I like the way that sounds.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have some friends that are taking Krav Maga in Columbia. I've been tempted to go sign up, from what I understand its a work out, and also one of the most effective hand to hand combat techniques designed to maim someone as quick as possible... I like the way that sounds.

It's tough work out and you WILL get in shape if you take it at all seriously. It will take you about 4-6 months to work up to level 2.

I'm kind of stuck at level 2 right now because I haven't had time to go much lately and, aside from learning the new vocabulary, my conditioning has slacked off a lot.

PM me if you have any questions.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

when i looked into it there was two main programs...sign up for month-to-month pay and it's like 130 or sumthin if you signed up for a year it's cheaper at like 100/month....still a buncha money but you can go to as many classes as you want and use their equipment. i'm planning on starting up there soon as i have some expendable income again

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Hmm, they must have changed the rules. I had to commit to a year.....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You guys are scared of shadows. :)

A big box of BOOM carried over your shoulder seems to be effective:D

Where I live now, I carry a benchmade folder, and sometimes a can of fox labs, but predatory wildlife is more of a concern than 2 legged threats out here. At the new house in Windsor PA, an M&P compact or j-frame seems to be adequate, and after it gets hotter, a bersa 380. One of my neighbors is a little on edge though, seems there was A SINGLE stolen car about 2 months ago, and the inevitable nascar fueled arguments (whose better Dale Jr or Gordon, voices are occasionally raised:lol2:), he was mowing his lawn with a serbu super shorty in a drop holster:D

Charybdis69

May 20, 2008
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, like some of the folx said - walk with attitude and awareness. If I don't see some guy walk up to me and put a gun to my head, carrying isn't going to help me.

But is someone is walking towards me, eyes downcast, looking shady, or behind me - and I let them know I'm well aware of them, it's a different story.

I also have 15+ years of martial arts training, and in that time I've learned that if you've waited for the attack to come to you, you're already late.

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    You guys are scared of shadows. :)

Only assuming most everyone here is physically healthy and free of defect.

But let’s change the scenario a bit

What does an elderly or disabled person or even a disabled American veteran use for protection when traveling in Baltimore or simply walking the dog in or around the hood. Lets say even visiting the drugstore or the an ATM.

And No Their Not Scared of Shadows. The concern is loosing their live over meaningless BS like a cell phone or the little bit of f___ing money in their pockets :)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Well you lost me when you said that "it's a work out" bit.

rummy

Jan 11, 2008
    this thread is what i was looking for in my "Software Vs. Hardware" thread - honest responses to a very real question.

as far as EDC "protection" items, i am limited to a pair of folding knives (waved spydercos normally), a kuboton and a yarwa'd flashlight. . . i've used the flashlight and, well, it works quite well as an impact device, as well as that momentary blinding factor. canes, umbrellas and their ilk can also serve quite well as intermediate range weapons, but you sorta need to know what you're doing...especially with the umbrellas. i am a big fan of improvised weapons...iwhile backpacking through europe i relied heavily on a handkerchief full of euro coins, or looped thru a padlock and a full nalgene bottle with a leash.

pepper spray, if you have an opportunity to use it, can be quite useful, but against a dedicated attacker, it is not necessarily debilitating...just an annoyance really. i've heard it referred to as "eye jab in a can", and should be followed up by a good hammer fist-style wallop with the can upside their noggins.

i would stress that people practice drawing their EDC toys from a multitude of positions...you would be amazed how hard it is to access something when things are going a million miles an hour.

lots of talk about KM, which is a good thing. i have minimal exposure at best, but it seems to be the best "bang for your buck"...especially considering it isnt loaded down with the usual martial art rhetoric..."self confidence, discipline, $100 belt testings!"

and finailly conditioning...if youre a bubble-butt and expect to be able to roll with a 25 year old gang banger for any length of time, you've got another thing coming...i am not "out of shape" per se, but after rolling with a no-good-nik for 3-4 minutes, i realized i was waning towards the end...not so much fun.

+1 to houndkeeper and her focus on how one carries themselves. the only addendum would be to make sure your self-confidence isn't percieved as cockiness or bravado - "todds" feed on that.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    pepper spray, if you have an opportunity to use it, can be quite useful, but against a dedicated attacker, it is not necessarily debilitating...just an annoyance really. i've heard it referred to as "eye jab in a can", and should be followed up by a good hammer fist-style wallop with the can upside their noggins.

It's basically an opener. Not something to rely on ending the fight, but better than many other openers.

lots of talk about KM, which is a good thing. i have minimal exposure at best, but it seems to be the best "bang for your buck"...especially considering it isnt loaded down with the usual martial art rhetoric..."self confidence, discipline, $100 belt testings!"

The MA community in the US is saddled with needing to make money to stay afloat and a disproportionate interest in it from kids. Good schools for more traditional styles exist, but are harder to find.

and finailly conditioning...if youre a bubble-butt and expect to be able to roll with a 25 year old gang banger for any length of time, you've got another thing coming...i am not "out of shape" per se, but after rolling with a no-good-nik for 3-4 minutes, i realized i was waning towards the end...not so much fun.

A tough part for many, especially as they grow older, but very important.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

It's pretty much a no-BS discipline. It's really important to pick your training partners carefully as there are a lot people there with a "gym rat" mentality and look upon it as sort of a butch conditioning program. They don't really "train to live" IMHO. Then again, when I'm tired it really is "training just to get through the drill"

Truth, well spoken.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

That's why it should be carried with a collapsible baton. Pepper spray as an opening act, and a 26" ASP Tactical as the closer.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    When placed in a self defense situation it’s best to do what the anti gunners say, surrender and then hope they don’t kill you, then wait until it’s over and call the Police. I would also suggest crying out loud and begging for your life. In some circumstances showing pictures of your loved ones will repel a mugging crack head faster than any gun because they are normally well mannered, articulate and caring people. Obey their will and never look them in the eye. Be as submissive as possible. Remember it’s your duty as a Marylander to be a good victim.

I'm shocked! This is the best post in this thread and nobody has commented on it. Decoy should get the Martin O'Malley citizen of the year award for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom