• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    An endorsement from Chad is enough to convince me. I shall be removing mine this weekend.

Any good sources on stainless steel plugs?

I usually tap the area and plug it with a Stanless screw and grind it flush. You can also plug the hole with JB Weld, but I dont do it like this.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Thread from the Dead.

I took a pass on the new Model 25 Classics with the lock. Also their new shrouded barrels are an abomination to both God and Man.

Prefer to enjoy hunting down the real deal Smith Wheelguns and Pistols from the good old days. I wouldn't trade my 4506 for a M&P.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Thread from the Dead.

I took a pass on the new Model 25 Classics with the lock. Also their new shrouded barrels are an abomination to both God and Man.

Prefer to enjoy hunting down the real deal Smith Wheelguns and Pistols from the good old days. I wouldn't trade my 4506 for a M&P.

Mine's a 1965 vintage. Pinned and recessed, no lock and precision machining. The "Classics" don't do much for me. The originals do a lot for me.

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    Link does not work.

I didn't know you had to sign in to the SWFORUM to see the thread.

FS ----------------------- "The PLUG"---------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Want to sell a replacement for the lock "The PLUG". Comes in three sizes - "J" & "K/L/N" and "X" and three colors- stainless (bright or brush), bare steel (Apply your own finish)and Delrin Black (This will match the new blue and the finish on the 300 series guns. The PLUG is $26 each, which includes a pin to hold it inplace. Plugs will be shipped within 10 days after I get the order. You can pay by PayPal at this E-mail Address: Wjohnwitt@aol.com or mail a check to:

John Whitt
    P.O.Box 1305
    Scott Depot, WV 25560

Please state frame size and color when you order.

Here is a movie that was made by a forum member on how to tear down your gun to remove the lock. The plug comes in a plastic bag that you can put the locks parts in to store.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/redirec...=RVPYgohVCNM (not the plug just the lock removal).

With the plug you install it into the hole and it is held in place with a cotter pin.

I can send pictures to anyone who wants them. Just pm me your email address.

OR join the forum and search "the plug" in the accessories forum. It's as simple as joining MDSHOOTERS.

By installing the plug you can always reinstall the lock if you ever sell the gun.

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    I have read claims of IL being accidentally activated. There seems to be significant controversy over the circumstances when this may happen. Personally, it's not a big deal to me. I have a SS Jframe w. IL that was "given" to me and with multiple grandkids, I use it on occasion. I shoot it a lot and have never had it engage unintentionally. So, it's not a big deal to me personally, although I would not intentionally seek out a revolver with an IL because I don't see it as a significant safety advantage.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I have owned quite a few Smiths and still have a couple laying around here.
    I have owned exactly 1 with a lock.
    Even in a J frame that lived in a holster I couldn't get past how UN-Godly that hole in the side was.
    I have heard of the locks engaging under recoil in the large guns.
    I sold that J frame and will not buy another with a hole in it.

Dec 6, 2011
    I started by just milling off the tab that locked the hammer. It would have been fine, but I just didn't like the look of it. I bought the plug listed above. The cotter pin didn't hold it as well as I would have liked, so I used steel bedding compound to permanently fix it in place. If the piece wasn't a lightweight stoked with Treasury loads I wouldn't have messed with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom