• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Only From the owners and operators of S&W pistols with the new locks

Do you hate them, love 'em or they just don't make a real difference to the revolvers operation

I like the looks of that new Model 25 Classic but that lock just puts me off.

Would like only real operational opinions, save the political commentaries on the S&W locks for another time.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I have a 586 with the new lock and it has not bothered me, and I never lock it.

However, I am hesitant to use it as a life or death go to gun, as just the thought of the gun locking itself, in the middle of a gunfight, scares the crap out of me. I have never seen or heard of this actually happening, but I have never seen or heard a politician tell the truth either.....but it could happen.

Really any gun could malfunction or break in a fight, and maybe I am just paranoid.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a 686 and a 442, both with the lock, never had a problem with either (at least with the lock, the 686 barrel broke off). I probably have upwards of 20k rounds through the 686, and 2k through the 442. I have only tried the locks when the guns were new, and used some lock-tite on the 442 to glue the lock shut, as this is a CCW peice for me. Although neither has failed, I can see where it could, and there is no telling if it might engage after the mechanism smooths out and the spring gets weak from constant use (think 357mag snubby duty weapon locked and unlocked several times a day) I would prefer a gun without a lock, or at least a lock that can be removed without leaving a hole in the side, but I would not be hesitant to buy a new S&W just because it has a lock, but all else being equal(condition, price, model), I would take a pre-lock model over a lock any day.

Last edited:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I have only 1 S&W with the lock, it's my 629.

I wish it was an option, but as others have already stated, it doens't affect function and if you never use it it dosen't matter.

But I still don't like having it in my gun.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I have the M&P .40 with a lock - never touched the lock

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Thanks for the input. Don't think S&W excuted the lock as well as Taurus. Guess the esthetics of the S&W lock are the real turn off for me. Hard to consider that new M25 a "classic" with that lock.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    S&W has screwed up enough things on their revolvers over the last 20+ years that I have no interest in anything they currently make. The ugly key lock is only the tip of the iceberg. Gone are the days of high polished blue, and hand fit slick actions right from the factory. In their place S&W now has pot metal MIM components, dull bluing, and hammers that are only made to look like the steel case hardened pieces of the past. Considering I'm actively working on becoming a crusty old curmudgeon before my time, I also can't get used to the new fangled transfer bar system either. Put the firing pin back on the hammer where it belongs.

I'll stick to my 27-2 and 29-2.

Unfortunately I understand why some of these changes were made. The price of a hand fit gun made in the same manner as those by the craftsmen of yesteryear would probably be at least double what S&W charges for their current offerings. The number of buyers that are willing to pay such a price for a revolver is very small.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    yeah, there are problems coming out

From The Arms and the Law blog:

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2008/05/sw_integral_tri_1.php

S&W integral trigger lock failures
    Posted by David Hardy · 8 May 2008 09:57 AM

They're being discussed at the Smith & Wesson Forum. Quite a few reported -- trigger lock engaging under recoil, if dropped, etc..

Link via Xavier's Thoughts, reporting his own gun lockup.

Hat tip to reader John M. Maraldo, who adds: "puts me in mind of the differing attitudes gunnies and gunphobes have as to safety. Ask a gunny what safety is and they'll relate the rules of safe handling and safe shooting. Ask them what safe design is and they'll tell you it is a design that makes the gun shoot when the trigger is pulled, but not when the trigger is not pulled. Ask gunphobes what safe design is and they'll tell you it is a design which makes the gun unlikely or difficult."

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Huckleberry,

I have the 627 with the lock. I just leave it unlocked, haven't thought about it since I bought the gun, its no bother, and the gun is awesome.

One advantage of having the lock is not having to buy the $25 cheapie lock when you purchase the gun, the internal lock eliminates that requirement.:)

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Huckleberry,

I have the 627 with the lock. I just leave it unlocked, haven't thought about it since I bought the gun, its no bother, and the gun is awesome.

One advantage of having the lock is not having to buy the $25 cheapie lock when you purchase the gun, the internal lock eliminates that requirement.:)

Hopefully Huckleberry made a decision on the S&W at some point in the last 4 years.:)

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The best thing to do is take the keys and put them in the box your gun came in. Not using the lock won't affect the gun's operation. If you have kids, yeah, I think using the key is a good way to go. Some years ago, FBI agents were forced to leave their guns in a locked box at home and the box had to be placed in a closet. Don't know if that's still required or not. The FBI's logic was that in the vast majority of forced intrusions, agents had plenty of time to get to the box and unlock it. I think a key would be a much better way to go.

I like having the feature in the gun. What's obvious is that the lock won't keep an intruder from using the gun against you. Any enterprising crook could have a number of keys he could use to unlock them and I think with S&W that one key fits all, isn't it?

The key is for keeping your kids out, and it will offer some protection if you leave the gun in a place where someone might come in, find it and use it against you.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    The lock can and do turn on in some cases. I remove locks on my guns, seen to many turn on when not intended.

An endorsement from Chad is enough to convince me. I shall be removing mine this weekend.

Any good sources on stainless steel plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom