• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I'll summarize for Byron (Outrider) A$$ in the seat. :D

This reminds me to taking my daughter at 8 hunting with me. "Daddy, what time are the deer going to come by?" I said "Honey, If I knew that we would only show up 5 minutes before the time."

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    My thoughts are exactly the same. The next few weeks are what we wait all year for. I actually do have Charles's rut prediction for this year. It is the last year that my book has in it. This book was wrote in 95. For those in the woods, keep it in the back of your head and you can decide if you want to buy into it or not. Rutting moon is 10/31. Prime Chase phase is 10/28-11/6 Breeding window is 12/7-12/20. Your best chance on a stud is now! There are certain things that do affect it. warm weather is one. They will move when the barometer is moving and will lay low when the barometer is low and steady.I saw little activity on my cameras over the last week. Temp dropped last nite and I had 2 shooters walk thru this morning at 730 and at 9. {I was scared I would float away so I stayed home this morning}. One I had never seen before. Get on em boys! Good luck!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My thoughts are exactly the same. The next few weeks are what we wait all year for. I actually do have Charles's rut prediction for this year. It is the last year that my book has in it. This book was wrote in 95. For those in the woods, keep it in the back of your head and you can decide if you want to buy into it or not. Rutting moon is 10/31. Prime Chase phase is 10/28-11/6 Breeding window is 12/7-12/20. Your best chance on a stud is now! There are certain things that do affect it. warm weather is one. They will move when the barometer is moving and will lay low when the barometer is low and steady.I saw little activity on my cameras over the last week. Temp dropped last nite and I had 2 shooters walk thru this morning at 730 and at 9. {I was scared I would float away so I stayed home this morning}. One I had never seen before. Get on em boys! Good luck!
    I get Deer And Deer Hunting magazine. His prediction for the current season appears in the October issue. Rule of thumb is; Cruising starts(as every year) around the last week of October. After the second full moon of the autumn equinox, the seeking phase ramps up. Within 10-14 days of that full moon, the majority of does will come into estrous(the chasing phase).
    I prefer late ruts because it lengthens the cruising phase, keeping the more mature bucks on their feet during daylight for a longer period of time. It also pushes the chasing and mating further into colder weather. Colder weather allows the deer to move and chase during the day without overheating. Warm days will shut down even the hottest rut action, pushing it into the nighttime, where temps are cooler.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I can only get out a few days each month. Luckily, those days are tomorrow and Sunday. Here's hoping...

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Got a question: I reported that I had a buck and three does run across a plowed soybean field and nearly run over me last Saturday. The buck was a 6 pointer and was not trying to breed the does. There were just hanging out together and preparing to hit the plowed cornfield to graze for the night. What was up with that? Do you think it was a family herd?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Got a question: I reported that I had a buck and three does run across a plowed soybean field and nearly run over me last Saturday. The buck was a 6 pointer and was not trying to breed the does. There were just hanging out together and preparing to hit the plowed cornfield to graze for the night. What was up with that? Do you think it was a family herd?

I have observed a lot of deer waiting on the edge of a field just inside tree line waiting for the sun to drop out enough till they run out all at one time.
    If your really observant and lucky enough to spot them early on, some times you'll see them go back in, and come back out later on with some more with them.

I seem to think they look around for a bit, then come back out farther down wind, then run out to begin feeding towards where they just looked, feeding into the wind at the same time.

Usually, that old doe is behind them head up and ears out and not feeding. When she comes out.... wait for the buck. The basket sixes-8's spikes yearling does will be in the field already. If the juvenile bucks are frisky with the doe and don't become submissive, don't let it get to dark if your a meat hunter.

Start glassing an alternate location of the field if your trophy hunting. Usually downwind from where the doe unit came out from or the other side at angle from where they are.
    A big crooked belly extended briskt sway backed b uck can make it across a 60 Acre field in 15 seconds when he has wood.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Heard lots of raccoon domestic disturbance sounds followed by snort wheezes up hill. Nothing during morning sit other than a button and a doe that blew out from her bed as I exited. Trying something new for this afternoon. Forget about vaping bubble gum flavored nicotine. I'm vaporizing deer piss. https://www.wyndscent.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom