• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I've actually had a some really positive experiences in the Bel Air DNR office as well. Quick and friendly.

Same here, the BelAir staff are courteous and helpful. OTOH, the former Dundalk office, which I believe is the now Essex MVA location, eh not so much. I’ve had a few interactions with that staff, refuse to go there anymore.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Wrong.

I had a 8' inflatable dingy years ago with a little 36lb electric trolling motor, and got a ticket from the water popo for not being registered.

If it's not paddled, you have to register and put a number/sticker on it.

Also wrong. Sail boats do not need to be registered.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I did it once many years ago with a jon boat, and IIRC the DNR will issue a number placard that you affix to the boat. Might be an inspection to prove that it's permanently attached, then it can be titled.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Any progress? I'm curious now.

Me too.
    A friend says I can have a jon boat he brought up from Fla 20 yrs ago.It has never been registered and we couldnt find any type of serial number.I didnt think it was worth the hassle but not sure now.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    new title

it's a whole process you have to go through , the mddnr will research the last owner and then you have to try to get in touch with them ( registered letter , ect . ) then they will provide you with a new title . i tried with a jon boat , old owner wanted it back ! hope this helps , dan

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I will have to do this this year with 2 race boats that I need titles for, but have never been titled due to the exemption (boats used in sanctioned races are exempt from title and registration; Coast Guard and most stated honor this and MD does).

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I have a bead on a ... but it doesn't have a title ...

We were in an identical situation when we bought our Jon boat and trailer, more than several but, less than 10, years ago.

I flashed cash but, told the seller, “Call us when you have titles in hand.”

He was the 2nd owner and he had failed to obtain any titles from the original owner (who it turns out had had them at one time but lost them or some such sad tale (wife said, “Not our problem” and she was right).

It was a royal PIA but, the seller was motivated enough to jump through whatever hoops HE had to, in order to sell the boat/trailer (which he was doing in order to fund his next, bigger family-fishing combo for he and his wife and child). All that also put us at ease by largely substantiating everything else the seller was telling us (history, maintenance, issues of the boat, trailer, etc.).

That was in MD and we’ve since moved the boat to N.C. and we are sooooo glad we took the advice of friends who told us, “THE EASY WAY OUT ALWAYS LEADS BACK IN - DO NOT buy anything without a title that has even a remote chance of someday involving MVA or DNR ...

Appears as if you’re already gettin some good advice here so, Best o’ Success!

soco

May 21, 2012
    FYI, I went to the dnr office, met a friendly young lady who had me in and out with a title and registration for $7 in 20 minutes. I doubt it would be as easy for a very expensive boat, but for a 20 year old canoe they just don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom