• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    So, I'm shopping around for a scope to mount on a Ruger 10/22LR. And I'm wondering whether I'm better off going with a scope with fixed parallax setting at 50 yards or a scope fixed with a parallax setting at 100 yards. Your thoughts?

And I'd also appreciate hearing thoughts/experiences with specific brands and models. And until money starts growing on trees, I'm unfortunately not in a position to break the bank on this one. But then again, I don't want to end up with a piece of useless junk . . . .

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So, I'm shopping around for a scope to mount on a Ruger 10/22LR. And I'm wondering whether I'm better off going with a scope with fixed parallax setting at 50 yards or a scope fixed with a parallax setting at 100 yards. Your thoughts?

And I'd also appreciate hearing thoughts/experiences with specific brands and models. And until money starts growing on trees, I'm unfortunately not in a position to break the bank on this one. But then again, I don't want to end up with a piece of useless junk . . . .

I'd get an adjustable parallax scope. I really like the Hawke lineup. $100-$200 range. Probably something in a 3-9X with an adjustable objective would work fine. Usually the parallax should be 50yds, but it depends on what you will be doing with the rifle. Getting and adjustable parallax gives you more options.

Hawke markets a lot of their scopes for air rifles but they will do great on a .22 cal. I have one on a RWS 48 which has killed a few cheaper scopes, 4 to be exact including and old Leupold. Check out Amazon and Ebay and read the reviews. Good luck, Vortex has a good lineup also. I would avoid scopes that have BDCs specifically for .22s. That way if you want to switch rifles it can work on other platforms as well.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Hawk...cope_30_30_Duplex_Reticle_1_4_MOA_1_Tube/4405

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Adjustable parallax is ideal but the more features you get the more money it is or the cheaper quality it is. What are you using it for and what distance? There is quite a bit of drop between a 50 yards and 100 yards without a mil/Moa reticle or dialing.

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    I intend to use it for plinking, target shooting at an outdoor range, and varmint control, the usual. Ideally I suppose it would be nice to be set up for 100 yards well, because I guess that "more" is better than "less" . . . .

Mar 6, 2019
    I bought a Barska 4-12x AO for my 10/22. It’s inexpensive but it works well enough for me. My son’s Savage B22 has a BSA on it. They work just fine from a bench at 50. Haven’t shot at 100 in awhile, but either scope can contribute to a good group. The Vortexes and Nikons I’ve looked through blow them both away in brightness and clarity. I can’t justify that cost for my usage - recreational target shooting. If I was competing, maybe.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    on my 10/22 I put on a Athlon Argos 6x24x50mm 30 mm tube I have not shot a ton but it does seem to be nice.It has all you are looking for.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I keep a fixed 50 yard parallax on my 22s and keep them zeroed at 50. They do just fine at 100 with the proper holdover. I've not noticed any problems with parallax.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I keep a fixed 50 yard parallax on my 22s and keep them zeroed at 50. They do just fine at 100 with the proper holdover. I've not noticed any problems with parallax.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

50 yard fixed parallax and zero is a very effective starting point for sure. It is the 100 yard fixed parallax rimfire scopes that confound me.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have a 50 yard fixed parallax on my .22 rifle and zeroed @ 75 yards. This gives a fairly flat trajectory for anything inside that range with less than 2" deviation from the line of sight and a 3" hold over @ 100 yards. This is great for plinking, but if you are using it for varmint control, I would suggest a 50 yard zero and an appropriate hold over beyond that range

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I use BSA Sweet 22 scopes, either 3-9x40 or 6-18x40. Adjustable parallax, 75 yard zero, and turret marking out to 175 yards for 36, 38, and 40g loads. I used the 3-9x40 for free standing rimfire metallic silhouette shooting.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I run Vortex PST Gen-IIs on my CZ455 and 10/22, the rest are irons. The scopes have parallax down to 25yds which is nice, then out to infinity. I've shot the Mayberry matches a couple times and you need those features, or at least I do. I wish I had gone with the FFP version though. I don't hunt with 22's but if I did I'd get a 2-7 or 3-9 AO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom