• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Wading into the realm of 922r im guessing! I know i cant do a bullet guide as then i have a copy of a banned weapon. Ive also put together that id need to replace 6 parts to make it 922r compliant if i start modifying it. However is that sonething youd have to do all in one shot so you dont have a mod here and mod there that make it out of its "original sporting configuration"? I mean i doubt someone would turn me over to the feds for having a stock vepr with just a muzzle brake or a new forend or something but i guess you never can tell.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    922(r) are Federal regs, not MD state. They were meant to limit the import/manufacturers who modified "sporting" rifles for resale. They have since been extended to modification in the hands of citizens. But 922 has no legal bearing in MD state law.

As long as your firearm doesn't violate any feature laws it should be fine in MD, if it's already legal for sale in MD.

922 is a different beast and something you should ALSO be aware of, but it doesn't overlap.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    So even if i take it from its imported sporter configuration i dont have to worry about it? So when would i? If i sold it?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So even if i take it from its imported sporter configuration i dont have to worry about it? So when would i? If i sold it?

I think he is just saying MD wouldn’t care about it. Federally, yes you must observe 922r.

I don’t know enough about 922r to know when you’d need to make the modifications to be compliant. I’d stupidly assume anything that follows sporting conventions would be fine. Like a scope mount or scope. I know certain things like a bullet guide and pistol grip would definitely push you out of “sporter” and require the 922r complaint parts.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    A Tapco G2 and a bullet guide get you most of the way to 922r compliance and if you only use Magpul mags with it then you're gtg on any other mods you might want to make to it.

Money_B_85

Mar 30, 2017
    If I understand MD law, you can do everything except adding a bullet guide for the 7.62 x 39 as you would then manufacture a copycat banned rifle capable of accepting AK magazines. The reason why the VEPR Sporter seem to be legal are for their hunting design and 5 / 10 round magazines which are different than AK-47s.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Damn, maybe i should have gone woth that PTR 32 to have my fun sized 30 cal magazines. Oh well, guess ill have to enjoy it in stock form for a bit then.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    The Vepr x39 guns are legal for sale because of a md state police bulletin 96-1 stating any firearm in importable Condition is not a copy of a regulated (banned) firearm. If you change it from importable condition even just removing the pinned muzzle nut, you have changed that status and are now in possession of a banned firearm.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The Vepr x39 guns are legal for sale because of a md state police bulletin 96-1 stating any firearm in importable Condition is not a copy of a regulated (banned) firearm. If you change it from importable condition even just removing the pinned muzzle nut, you have changed that status and are now in possession of a banned firearm.

This. Also why some Saigas are legal (for instance the 5.45 one is not enumerated as banned).

baberuth

Babe Ruth
    Sep 1, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hi, Saw some really nice Russian VEPR R.30-06 rifles and .223 rifles online with nice wood furniture and chrome lined barrels, 10-Rd Mags, etc $829. Are these legal in MD? Seems like would be, but before I search out for a FFL, thought I would ask MD Shooters if someone has one or if I am wasting my time. Seems some other calibers are NOT legal, thus the question. Thanks!

Sirex