• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Got a big fat groundhog living under my shed. Should I kill this thing or just let it be? Wife thinks it's cute. I'm wondering what it's doing to my yard.

Can I shoot this thing legally? This is Queen Anne's County.

It's not really bothering me but I have heard stories of what these things can do to yards and dwellings with their tunneling.

Thanks.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I had one at my home in Pasadena. It tunneled under my shed and created a mess in the yard.

Last edited:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

Attachments

• 41o-nZx5ENL._AC_SY355_.jpg
      41o-nZx5ENL._AC_SY355_.jpg
      16.7 KB · Views: 1,087

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Set a kill trap next to the GH entrance!
    Kill it..

It is against the law to live trap and relocate any animal's!

Also what is one will be many more in a year...

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I have evicted a few of them at our shop , they never pay rent and want a run of the property . I have seen a few more so it is time for me to execute new paperwork to evict some others .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    won't be cute when it digs another exit and you notice it when you step into the hole and break your ankle.
    Cross country kid in HS was running in his yard with a friend, grass was uncut cause dad was out of town and did not want him to mow while he was out. tore the living CRAP out of his ankle.
    Brother in law was 4 wheeling in his country yard. Hit a hole that tossed him, broken ribs.
    If you don't get rid of it, just make sure you and everyone know where the holes are.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If you are going to try and poison it with lead, make sure you use enough. You don't want it running back under the shed.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    If you are going to try and poison it with lead, make sure you use enough. You don't want it running back under the shed.

I'd say the opposite. Zip it once with 22, and it'll run in the hole and die. He dug the hole, you just gotta cover it up... Plus his buddies won't attempt to take over the hole for quite some time...

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I had one get under the slab of my shop/shed at first I didn't think much of it till it started raiding my girlfriends garden then it was war . I tried to shoot it but if I opened the door it would hear it and be gone , I couldn't leave a window open because her cat would get out and it's not smart enough to not get eaten and old . So I was at the hardware store in town and asked if they had something to kill it , So the old man told me find the other holes to the den and block them with rocks so Mr Hog can't move them , Then take a long hose and get it as far down the hole as it will go then pour a gallon of Industrial Ammonia in the hose than have a gun handy when he bolts out and shoot him because when he comes out he'll stop to get air that's your chance . I did everything he said and it was spot on no more Mr Hog , then fill the holes with rock and cover with dirt so a new one doesn't move in but the ammonia should help with that too.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I will be the voice of reason :) our neighbor used to say don’t kill anything you don’t plan on eating. Yes he ate groundhogs

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have a few that have been living under my shed for several years. I live on a hill & they haven't caused any problems around here. That being said, if I lived on or near a farm where they could cause problems I'd deal with them. As it is now, they're simply pets. Plus, I've named my apiary after them.

Attachments

• groundhog1.jpg
      groundhog1.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 555

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'd say the opposite. Zip it once with 22, and it'll run in the hole and die. He dug the hole, you just gotta cover it up... Plus his buddies won't attempt to take over the hole for quite some time...

I've had them re-dig holes after two days. The previously desisted resident still in it. They just dug around him.

Once they dig a hole, others will move in as soon as it's "vacant".

OP, kill it! Don't worry, there will be more.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Grandfather caught one in a trap last summer in NC. I killed it, cleaned it, and made a wonderful crock pot stew. Tasted like roast beef . Enjoy

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Great comments everyone. Leaning towards plugging him. You think .22 is enough or should I use something a little more powerful? I have a 270 with a nice scope that should do the trick, but if I could use something a little less loud it might be better.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom