• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    All the guns I wouldn't shoot were lost in a tragic boating accident along with all I did shoot.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    A Couger.

Colt Python barrel mated to a Ruger frame. Jeweled hammer, trigger, etc. Trigger pull is incredibly smooth and light.

Custom made for competitive shooting. Apparently the Colt frames were nowhere near as good as their barrels but Ruger's took the punishment pretty well.

She's beautiful. I can't bring myself to shoot her but would love to.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The Colt Vest Pocket Special is a striker fired .25 with grip safety. It was made in CONUS by Colt. The one you may have referred to would be the Colt Junior. Also in .25, but, hammer fired, no grip safety. Made by Italian Astra under contract to Colt. It is a tad larger that the VPS.

According to those I've been able to find any information from... The VPS is arguably the best .24 pistol ever made. But, opinions flourish in the world of firearms.

Good stuff, thanks. Pardon my ignorance on these tiny collectable guns, but you mean .25 right (typo)? The one I shot I believe did not have a grip safety, but did have a little side manual safety. It was snappy for a .25, being that tiny.

All the guns I wouldn't shoot were lost in a tragic boating accident along with all I did shoot.

Sorry for your loss. :thumbsup:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Good stuff, thanks. Pardon my ignorance on these tiny collectable guns, but you mean .25 right (typo)? The one I shot I believe did not have a grip safety, but did have a little side manual safety. It was snappy for a .25, being that tiny.

Yes, .25... Fixed thanks.
    Typing on the iPhone and missed the error...

.25 is a snappy little round... But it is not a very good defense round at all. Thus, I don't see it as a CC pistol for that purpose. That said, it would probably place some inane miscreant in enough fear of getting hurt, to cause them to back off in a confrontation... I don't think anyone wants to be shot with one. The rounds are only slightly more effective than a .22 when fired from mouse guns. (Commonly advertised muzzle speed/energy for the .22lr is factored from a rifle barrel rather that a pistol)

.22 Vs. .25

.25 ballistic gel test

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    "The ones you never shoot" describes about half of what I own.
    Some never shot because they are 'collectors', others because I don't belong to an outdoor range to take them. All my modern handguns get out at least once a year.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I havent shot my 1943 P38. All matching, no import marks. Got it at a gunshow in 2014. I plan to shoot it soon but maybe just the one time. Stuff like that gives me the "it belongs in a museum" vibe. Hence why I have so many reproduction old guns. Cheaper, and I don't feel bad for shooting the piss out of them.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've had a Colt 1908 Vest Pocket for years. Built in 1913. I actually shot it for the first time this morning. I was very pleasantly surprised at what a nice shooter it is. Got all shots on target at 7 yards. It's going into the rotation.

Jul 1, 2012
    I havent shot my 1943 P38. All matching, no import marks. Got it at a gunshow in 2014. I plan to shoot it soon but maybe just the one time. Stuff like that gives me the "it belongs in a museum" vibe. Hence why I have so many reproduction old guns. Cheaper, and I don't feel bad for shooting the piss out of them.

If it survived the war, it will survive yer range trips.

Not necessarily.
    Although it was a fine pistol, the original P38 design does have a tendency to crack the slide and/or lock block.
    Installing fresh recoil springs and using standard 115gr FMJ will go a long way to reducing the risk but it's a risk nonetheless.
    With original grips running as much as $150 putting some repros on there for a range trip is a good idea too, they are very fragile.
    The P38 as a sidearm was a last-resort weapon and most probably didn't see much firing during the war.
    Most of the abuse occurred post-war.

Having said that I don't shoot my all-matching P38's - there are enough "mix-master" and refinish/dipped/RC pistols out there to satisfy that Jones (see what I did there?).

I also don't shoot the Colt 1905 Military (the first "45") which had a well-deserved reputation for breaking the slide.
    Some stuff is just too fragile/valuable to shoot, or ammo is not available (or too expensive) like the Gyrojet.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Not necessarily.

Although it was a fine pistol, the original P38 design does have a tendency to crack the slide and/or lock block.

Installing fresh recoil springs and using standard 115gr FMJ will go a long way to reducing the risk but it's a risk nonetheless.

With original grips running as much as $150 putting some repros on there for a range trip is a good idea too, they are very fragile.

The P38 as a sidearm was a last-resort weapon and most probably didn't see much firing during the war.

Most of the abuse occurred post-war.

Having said that I don't shoot my all-matching P38's - there are enough "mix-master" and refinish/dipped/RC pistols out there to satisfy that Jones (see what I did there?).

I also don't shoot the Colt 1905 Military (the first "45") which had a well-deserved reputation for breaking the slide.

Some stuff is just too fragile/valuable to shoot, or ammo is not available (or too expensive) like the Gyrojet.

All good info thanks!!!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ill shoot just about anything. The two exceptions right now are my S&W Persian "Shah" police snub nose.

On the fence about shooting a cherry unfired Jungle Carbine I got a couple months ago. They are not uncommon but its getting rare to find them unfired without primer burn in on the bolt or any sign of a bullet being down the bore. Probably buy another for a shooter.

Everything else is fair game.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    I have two black powder pistols I picked up on estate sale...
    I know almost nothing about Black powder and don't have the materials. I've never shot them tho I would like too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom