• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Seems simple enough: DNR dumps a bunch of fish in some lakes and streams and you go catch them.

I'm not really a trout guy and definitely not a fly fisherman, so what's the best approach on these little guys?
    Spinners, trout nibbles, tiny marshmallows, corn?

We may stick the jon boat in we may not depending on what else is going on.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The only time I've ever fly fished was on the Savage River in Garret county after it was stocked. Fly fishing worked and was a lot of fun. We selected flies based on the types of larvae and flies we saw.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Guys catch stockers on just about everything. Powerbait, rooster tails, rebel lures, canned corn, marshmallows, velveeta cheese, earthworms, you name it. My go to for stockers is powerbait floating worms in assorted colors and live minnows/nightcrawlers.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Do trout look for structure or moving water or just hang out for a few weeks before they croak?

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Do trout look for structure or moving water or just hang out for a few weeks before they croak?

They like to hide where the water slows or pools (behind rocks, bends in the river, deep pools, behind downed logs) but where they can dart out real quick and grab food as it floats or rushes by.

jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Maybe I'm missing something here. Is there a closing for fall stocking like there is for the spring? I've never trout fished in the fall.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When I was more of a trout fisherman than a hunter, I fished the hell out of trout streams in the fall. Even in ''put and take'' streams, some trout seem to ''hold over''. Brown trout and brook trout spawn in the fall. Around the end of October if memory serves. I fished tails of long pools looking for redds in gravel bars for spawners. Please catch and release, please!

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    The best thing is the creek flooding after a stocking. The fish get dispersed and you catch them into the late summer. I like that kind of challenge.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Spring trout stocking has begun!

You got a link to the schedule or any idea when they do Kemp Mill?

Very cool though!!! I lost my trout rod to a lazy fat friend not returning equipment but I can be persuaded to a BPS Trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom