Let's discuss CCW and sitting down (car or otherwise)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I have been practicing with a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 airsoft. Now, granted I am just loosening my belt and shoving the gun in at various positions/cants, but I still wonder.... even with a nice rig like a Crossbreed Supertuck or similar, how can a person carry something bigger than a Glock 26 and be comfortable when sitting (as well as not having the butt of the gun stick way out)?

I'd love some discussion on this.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have been practicing with a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 airsoft. Now, granted I am just loosening my belt and shoving the gun in at various positions/cants, but I still wonder.... even with a nice rig like a Crossbreed Supertuck or similar, how can a person carry something bigger than a Glock 26 and be comfortable when sitting (as well as not having the butt of the gun stick way out)?

I'd love some discussion on this.

i take mine out...and slide between the seat/console while driving...it isnt going to do you much good if its behind your back...just saying..

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Thanks. But what if you're in a store or somewhere else, like going to the office and sitting for a bit, and need to sit down semi-often? Is there any comfortable way of pulling that off, or is it just best to go with something small?

Can a more comfortable OWB holster be used in a summer environment and still hide well? I'm assuming an OWB would mean easier sitting?

Thanks for all comments.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It sucks! Even with a snubbie revolver, the grip is in an awkward place. I really need a better IWB holster so I can pull it out when driving and reholster when I get out. And one of the big problems with the gun in the holster while driving is pulling it out when you need it. Belt holsters get in the way of the seat belt anchor if you're packing a full sized pistol. I would love to have a really good shoulder holster, but they print like crazy and you can't pass it off as a smart phone.

Jim

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Thanks. But what if you're in a store or somewhere else, like going to the office and sitting for a bit, and need to sit down semi-often? Is there any comfortable way of pulling that off, or is it just best to go with something small?

Can a more comfortable OWB holster be used in a summer environment and still hide well? I'm assuming an OWB would mean easier sitting?

Thanks for all comments.

Curious-- can one a citizen carry ( or own for that matter) in Korea? How about you as a non-native?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    All my holsters are set for maximum cant and sit as deep in my jeans as the adjustments allow. I have driven for several hours carrying a G29 with an extended barrel, a full size 1911, or my Smith 1006. I carry at 3:30 so the butt of the gun tilts forward to about 3 oclock but the barrel points backwards at about 3:30 but inside my jeans. It works for me.

I have shoulder rigs for the really long driving trips. I drove to FL with it on.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Thanks for all comments.

Most offices probably have laws against concealed carry...if you are fortunate enough to have a job that allows this then I'd prob carry 2 one small pistol that you can carry while sitting down such as the Beretta tom cat 32. cal. it has 7 shots and is very easy to unload/safe. as for when walking around you could then go to what you normally carry. just have it at the ready to conceal. when you go to stand up conceal it...this may be an inconvenience to be switching around all the time but at least you can carry.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Curious-- can one a citizen carry ( or own for that matter) in Korea? How about you as a non-native?

Nope. But while back in Iowa on vacation, I got my CCW permit. I had planned to purchase something and carry while back, but there was a waiting period. I got the permit a few days before leaving, and the sherriff had post-dated it, so it was of no use this year. It is good for 5 years, so I'll be buying something and making use of it the next time I go home on vacation. (I'm a teacher here, and get 2-3 months off summer and winter).

I bought some children's airsoft Glocks, and a Smith Bodyguard airsoft, just to check size and feel (but obviously weight is way off). They sell those here, and they are insanely identical to the real thing. If you look close, you can see the actual Glock text/markings in the plastic that that didn't cover-up well enough when they made the molds.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    baccus- I carry a 4.25" 1911 in an IWB holster some of the time and yes it is a PITA (literally) when driving a lot. In the summer, well, a fitting Tshirt is NOT gonna cover it. alterations to your wardrobe (buying some looser-fitting button-downs with short sleeves) can help. another thing to think about is WHERE you choose to sit. In your sitting down often scenario, well, all I can say is that you get used to it. a good leather OWB can make carry more comfortable, but you will find yourself adjusting the place you sit in a room and how you sit to hide the bulge of the pistol butt. I have issues with glocks (I carry a 19 at my second job most of the time) because of the width of the weapon. Luckily, most of the time there I don't have to hide it.

When driving for extended periods or in higher risk areas, I usually remove the pistol from the holster and place it in a handy location in the vehicle.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Well, I'm 6'2" and about 220. I like to wear dockers or docker shorts with pleats. I want something bigger, but keep leaning toward Ruger LCR or Kel-Tec PF-9 and a pocket holster.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, I'm 6'2" and about 220. I like to wear dockers or docker shorts with pleats. I want something bigger, but keep leaning toward Ruger LCR or Kel-Tec PF-9 and a pocket holster.

I carry a Ruger LCP in a IWB, pocket or wallet holster depending on what I'm wearing in the summer. My G23 is my winter gun, but I carry that on an OWB holster under a coat. There is no comfortable way I have found to sit in the car with it. I have a drawer full of holsters.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    An untucked button up "sport shirt" means that my OWB holster can carry my Glock 22 everywhere I go. It's of course much easier in the winter. I don't even notice it in the car.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    I carry at 8 o'clock, IWB with 15 degree cant. With any pistol I carry, except 5" 1911, it is comfortable while seated. I don't notice the gun at all (g19, g26, hk p7m8, 4.25" 1911).
    I'm 5'10", 175lbs. I do not routinely take the gun/holster off while driving, as it isn't uncomfortable to do so. The 5" 1911 barrel pushes against my wallet while seated, causing some annoyances while seated.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My Crossbreed Supertuck does a fine job. I've driven 4-5 hours with it without trouble.

If I'm going on a longer trip though I'd typically OWB carry as it just feels better. I just have to plan my clothes around it and wear a lose fitting shirt.

A good holster with a good belt and the proper adjustments really make it a non issue.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Repeat to yourself Three Times "Dress around the Gun ! " .

IWB requires (usually) different size and/ or style pants.

Specific "fine print" in body shape makes major difference in IWB fit. Not every person will be able to IWB every gun. And no smaller is not automatically better. "For me" a full size 1911 is more comfortable than a KelTec P11.

Absolutely , a well designed OWB , and a good belt is concealable in summertime. "Dress Around the Gun" . No more just Tee shirts ( for 90%+ ) . Make sure tail is adaquate 1/2 to 1 size larger than usual ( depending on how loose your regular size. No silk or light rayon material. Nobody will notice or care if your shirt is heavier cotton , twill, or deniem even in summer. If you are a tall guy , you will have to get actual "tall" shirts , instead of making do with regular.

"For Me" , I've always had good luck with strong and weak hand holsters behind the hip in vehicles. Comfort ranges from "ok" to not notice it's there. Usually no trouble w/ seat belt per se , but can be an issue if cover garmet is tucked firmly under seat belt restricting access.

But reality check , if you are driving a vehicle , you have a 2500-6000lb weapon. Apply tire track on malfactors as otherwise justified.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I know of 2 holsters that allow you to sit and still carry;

--CellPal; leather, attaches to a cell phone/Bulldog case

--NRA Tactical Holster; cloth pouch, velcroes around waist

I have both and by far the NRA Tactical Holster is the most comfortable and stealthy holster even with a relatively large handgun. I've had this on while driving, riding the motorcycle, and sometimes forget it's there. I've worked in the garden, lounged on the hammock, etc. with my Glock 36 and a magazine in it. There's a video of it on the NRA Store website.

CellPal is OK, and I use it occasionally, but since I've obtained the NRA Tactical, it's now 2nd place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom