• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Hi Guys, I picked up a Chinese Norinco the other day, and while i did some searching on the net and on here i only found that you can take the first digit of the receivers serial number and add it to the 1956 and get the year according to yooperjohns sks page, but it states that this is only good for Arsenal /26\. Mine however is Arsenal /016\.
    Has anyone found it to work on other Arsenals as well?
    The first two numbers on my extended serial number stamped on the receiver are 27, which if i do that it would be a 1983.That is, If This works for my arsenal as well.
    Also does anyone have any more info on the Arsenal /016\? the only other one ive ever seen online was a Military one that had the stamped markings on the other side, this one does not.
    Thank you and any help appreciated.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If it isn't a Factory 26 I don't know of an available way to tell the year of manufacture. The assignment of serial numbers by a new million series each year was done only there AFAIK, and there is even some question about how reliable that is. Simonov.net used to have some stuff about identifying years from other factories than 26 but it is offline now. You may want to try a wayback search engine.

What I do know is that Factory 16 produced a lot of the internal state security rifles for the Chinese and apparently had high QC standards. The workmanship on rifles from this factory has a reputation for being excellent, and a lot were imported into the US. You may want to check the receiver to see if it has any additional Chinese markings beyond the usual three characters for "Type 56 Carbine."

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    There is not any reliable way to know .
    There is even some debate as to how accurate dating the factory /26\ rifles is with the formula often used.
    There are some who believe using that formula is really only accurate for the early sino-soviet factory /26\ rifles :innocent0

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Sounds good guys, and one of the first things i did in the shop was look on the right side for the military marks but no such luck. there might be some marks somewhere else i haven't discovered as of yet but i haven't taken it apart yet other than to pull the gas section off and check the piton, which still had some cosmo and had no build up.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    yup, i was already taking some.lol

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
      Picture 002.jpg
      67.9 KB · Views: 1,410
    • Picture 006.jpg
      Picture 006.jpg
      87 KB · Views: 1,011
    • Picture 008.jpg
      Picture 008.jpg
      120.5 KB · Views: 1,001

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If not this weekend we might try to Hit the range Next weekend, Depends on the Very nice Gentleman that does me the great favor of taking me with him to shoot at the club he belongs to. And If hes watching.. i Greatly appreciate it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom