• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    What did I miss? Did I slip through the portal into a mirror universe? This link was on the front page of the WaPo. Labeled "analysis"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...k-525pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.ccc432aa4941

No, there haven’t been 18 school shootings in 2018. That number is flat wrong.

Everytown has long inflated its total by including incidents of gunfire that are not really school shootings.

wut??

After The Washington Post published this report, Everytown removed the Jan. 3 suicide outside the closed Michigan school.

You dont say

In 2015, The Post’s Fact Checker awarded the group’s figures — invoked by Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) — four Pinocchios for misleading methodology.

Shocking! Everytown illegal mayors goobering statistics! Well, shocking that is that WaPo printed the truth and linked to it on the front page.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    First possibility: a broken clock is correct twice per day.

Second possibility: desperate to get subscribers.

Mr H

Banana'd
    aaaannnnd, cherry-picking stats...

What is not in dispute is gun violence’s pervasiveness and its devastating impact on children. A recent study of World Health Organization data published in the American Journal of Medicine that found that, among high-income nations, 91 percent of children younger than 15 who were killed by bullets lived in the United States.

Can we define that any more narrowly to make it sound worse?

By race, maybe?!!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Kudos to the Wash Post fact checkers. They don't let Everytown (and those that cited the bogus Everytown stat) get a pass, and instead go on and on tearing down the agitprop.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    the problem is while the fact checker proves the statistics wrong the washington post will ignore that and continue to use them in other articles. Same thing happened when the fact checker debunked most of the claims about the hearing protection act- the main part of the post continued to publish articles and write editorials using the arguments debunked by their own fact checker.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    the problem is while the fact checker proves the statistics wrong the washington post will ignore that and continue to use them in other articles. Same thing happened when the fact checker debunked most of the claims about the hearing protection act- the main part of the post continued to publish articles and write editorials using the arguments debunked by their own fact checker.

#fakenews. Don’t let facts get in the way of a story.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    aaaannnnd, cherry-picking stats...

Can we define that any more narrowly to make it sound worse?

By race, maybe?!!

I wish I knew how to quote your quote as well...but regarding the "among high-income nations" part, that little detail reminds me of this interesting article my wife found and shared about comparing US to other countries:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=220275

Personally, I just say, "Ef'em. The whole point of this country is that it's not Europe," but the article had some interesting other points, too.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    While surprising, there were a lot of jabs thrown through out

Gun violence is a crisis in the United States, especially for children, and a huge number — one that needs no exaggeration — have been affected by school shootings. An ongoing Washington Post analysis has found that more than 150,000 students attending at least 170 primary or secondary schools have experienced a shooting on campus since the Columbine High School massacre in 1999

The figures matter because gun-control activists use them as evidence in their fight for bans on assault weapons, stricter background checks and other legislation. Gun rights groups seize on the faults in the data to undermine those arguments and, similarly, present skewed figures of their own.

This quote basically says, "We are actually just trashing everyone for the same thing net gain/loss is "zero"

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas

That is one aspect of this battle which is so frustrating, seeing the same old lies repeated as if they are Gospel truth. How many times does Kellerman's 1993 study or Webster's Missouri hogwash need to be debunked before writers stop using them as "facts" in articles? They are both pure BS but a cogent explanation of why they are nothing more than "sagecraft" is way too long for use as a comment on any article using them and certainly a case of TLDR for the social media mindset.

I am coming very close to falling back on Kurt Schlichter's argument style but it seems too much like opening the fourth box.

https://ijr.com/opinion/2015/07/245...-new-argument-against-gun-control-here-it-is/

Cyndi59

What did I miss? Did I slip through the portal into a mirror universe? This link was on the front page of the WaPo. Labeled "analysis"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...k-525pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.ccc432aa4941

No, there haven’t been 18 school shootings in 2018. That number is flat wrong.

wut??

You dont say

Shocking! Everytown illegal mayors goobering statistics! Well, shocking that is that WaPo printed the truth and linked to it on the front page.
    Did I just actually read that from the WaPo..??I think I need stronger reading glasses..pinch myself or stub my big toe,did Bloomt**d face flush a pale white from fright..??Bugger..:lol2:

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Kudos to the Wash Post fact checkers. They don't let Everytown (and those that cited the bogus Everytown stat) get a pass, and instead go on and on tearing down the agitprop.

The post is using the Everytown statistics right now in other pieces.

And the Post is not being altruistic in the article debunking it, the post is utterly anti second amendment. What the post knows, is the definition Everytown is using likely means that school shootings by the metric used by Everytown is twice as common 25 years ago.

Gun control advocates have to either cherry pick as "notable shootings" or "high profile shootings" with very carefully chosen numbers to avoid the problem that almost every way you count these events are LOWER today, not higher than in the past.

The core problem for them is that US gun murder is less than half of 25 years ago. Gun murder of children in the 0-5, 6-12, 12-17, 17-20 cohorts is also half of what it was 25 years ago.

Heck the post is today also using a "polling" number on assault rifle ban support from right after las vegas without noting that there are ALWAYS a short-live spike up after events, and a great decrease in support for assault rifle bans after. They are quoting 68% in favor a ban when they know that support for assault rifle ban when gallup and Pew both show support for ban down in 30, 25, 20, 15, 10 and five year metrics. It typically goes up 10 or 20 points after an event and then down 12 or 22 points a few months later.

Look here at the long term trend which smooths out the upblips into actual valid context:
    http://content.gallup.com/origin/ga...roduction/Cms/POLL/z1glhmw4sksuic7lekpteq.png
    z1glhmw4sksuic7lekpteq.png

The Post also uses, without criticism, the GSS numbers on self reported gun ownership rate as actual gun ownership, when it has run analysis pieces how GSS type surveys are large undercounts - on anything highly private. Survays on who is gay are "undercounts" surveys on who has smoked dope are "undercounts" but surveys on who owns a gun? No the post has not once said they could e an undercount.

The post also sometimes still uses the everytown developed narrative on "a mass shooting a day" which was based on a definition of four persons wounded, including the shooter. When this number was shown to a) be virtually all gang on gang, criminal on criminal, or in some cases included hearing injuries, and when analysis of prior years showed that this number was actually falling per capita, they started to distance themselves from the claim. But only after they had repeated it over and over.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    How many times does Kellerman's 1993 study or Webster's Missouri hogwash need to be debunked before writers stop using them as "facts" in articles?

kellerman is one of the most duplicitous junk science promulgators and he is simply taken as gospel. Work of his objectivity shown to be absurd is one of the reasons for the CDC ban.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I gotta do work stuff now, but can you guys post up some examples of the press using flat out wrong everytown information in reporting for me. I've got some examples that need assembling for an anti-gunner that thinks everytown is 100% factual.

dvcrsn

Oct 13, 2010
    the sad thing is that the Brady campaign, Josh Horwitz of the Coalition to Stop Gun Ownership (I know H0rwitz has violence) and Josh Sugarmann are equally dishonest. When Paul Helmke was still on the HuffyPuffy he was routinely losing to people who weren't lawyers

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom