• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teawhy

Mar 24, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    https://www.npr.org/2018/01/26/580143957/what-it-takes-to-get-guns-out-of-the-wrong-hands

The article is titled "What It Takes To Get Guns Out Of The Wrong Hands", and though I agree bad guys should not have guns, I’m not convinced the examples given in the article are bad guys, or at least not convicted bad guys. I know an individual can’t purchase a firearm if there is a restraining order against them, or they are presently charged with certain crimes, but does that make confiscation legal as well?

From the article:
    “As she [the officer] takes the rifle to her car, she says there's a good chance the boyfriend will avoid a domestic violence conviction and eventually get the gun back. ‘But I feel better just knowing that at least during this time when emotions are running high, we've gotten it out, at least for a little bit,’ she says”

IMO this is setting a VERY DANGEROUS precedent where a cry of wolf could lead to an illegal confiscation of an individual’s firearm(s). What happens when that individual is killed during an armed robbery? A citizen loses their right to defend themselves all because of a potentially phony, spiteful claim…

Panther

Jan 22, 2017
    Lanham
    ....IMO this is setting a VERY DANGEROUS precedent where a cry of wolf could lead to an illegal confiscation of an individual’s firearm(s). What happens when that individual is killed during an armed robbery? A citizen loses their right to defend themselves all because of a potentially phony, spiteful claim…

This happens more often than not and I’ve seen this happen in MD. Person A owns firearms. Then had an argument with his sister. Sister calls cops says that he hit her (but he never touched her) and they charge person A with assault (cant remember the degree). Fast forward, son and friends steal guns out of safe and get caught by the police. Person A goes to retrieve property at which point he’s told he cannot based on the old case with sister (even though it was supposed to have been dismissed).

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    this isn't a new topic, dating back to 1996 when legislation was passed and this has been taking place (protection order/accusation of Dv) for 4 years in Seattle soooooooo I wouldn't say things will change there. I think 15 states already do this and its not for every case.

The Every town stats say it's for only between 5-13% of cases.

The sky is not falling and essentially your dropping 4 year old news on us. OJ was found not guilty and Michael Jackson died. Pam has Hep C and Paris hiltons sex tapes were leaked.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    this isn't a new topic, dating back to 1996 when legislation was passed and this has been taking place (protection order/accusation of Dv) for 4 years in Seattle soooooooo I wouldn't say things will change there. I think 15 states already do this and its not for every case.

The Every town stats say it's for only between 5-13% of cases.

The sky is not falling and essentially your dropping 4 year old news on us. OJ was found not guilty and Michael Jackson died. Pam has Hep C and Paris hiltons sex tapes were leaked.

What tapes???;)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Remember the bar owner in Dundalk whose wife had him killed, a few years back?

She went to police and said he had been abusive, and they took his guns.

Then she hired 2 guys to murder him as he was leaving his bar one night, trying to make it look like a robbery.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    What tapes???;)

It's annoying. She answers her cell phone mid-stream, and starts a conversation while being "ridden". I think I'd have shoved her face in the pillow :D. It's all night vision-looking anyways. Would not watch again.

OT: Gun confiscation is bad.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It's annoying. She answers her cell phone mid-stream, and starts a conversation while being "ridden". I think I'd have shoved her face in the pillow :D. It's all night vision-looking anyways. Would not watch again.

OT: Gun confiscation is bad.

10-4 on that.

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    Remember the bar owner in Dundalk whose wife had him killed, a few years back?

She went to police and said he had been abusive, and they took his guns.

Then she hired 2 guys to murder him as he was leaving his bar one night, trying to make it look like a robbery.

What did she get for that, a couple years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom