• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Cross posted this in The WC....

I'm thinking about a project that might include a 2x4 tabletop. It would require a large planer to clean off the glue and even it up.would need it to handle a piece 30 inches wide. Anyone happen to know where I could rent the services for use of one? Would prefer something closer to the Elkridge area, but I know finding one and the ability to get use of it is going to require some wiggle room on my part. Thanks!

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    you can also glue it up in 2 pieces, 15" wide, which will fit in smaller planer, then glue the 2 halves together and only have one glue joint to clean up. if you use biscuits for alignment the glue joint should be pretty good. but if you are talking about gluing up construction grade 2x4's, then who knows, I haven't seen a straight 2x4 in 15 years or more.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    An orbital sander will knock those glued joints down too. Start course and work your way to finer grits.

The trick is getting the boards/joints as level as possible to begin with. A dowel/drill guide that fits over the edge of the boards will be the best money you'll ever spend.

Super sharp edges are a must. Any radius will leave an indentation at the joint.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    No one (in their right mind) will put that through a machine that is theirs until you get the glue blobs off the surface, prolly with a belt sander. Chunks of solid glue are hard on knives. Good luck on your project, though. Got a 23 inch wide project of my own in the works. Please post what you find out.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    And another thing.......

Give it plenty if time to dry after gluing, but before planing or finish sanding. Like weeks. Done too soon, wood will shrink, leaving glue lines proud of the finished surface. Ask me how I know.....

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    No one (in their right mind) will put that through a machine that is theirs until you get the glue blobs off the surface, prolly with a belt sander. Chunks of solid glue are hard on knives. Good luck on your project, though. Got a 23 inch wide project of my own in the works. Please post what you find out.

^^^YUP!^^^

OP,

There is a hand tool specifically designed to remove hard as shyt glue.

It has a sharp hooked blade.

Red Devil brand comes to mind.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Not really local to you, but Hicksville Planning Mill in Clear Spring has done a few tops for me in the past. They have a great shop that is worth the drive

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I would suggest finding a shop with a wide belt sander over a planer. 37" wide is one of the standard widths for these sanders. They are pretty easy to use. And there is no chance of tear out with the sander. That can be an issue with a planer and some of the highly figured woods such as birdseye & curly maple.

Attachments

• Best-Wide-Belt-Sander-2.jpg
      Best-Wide-Belt-Sander-2.jpg
      98.2 KB · Views: 258

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I would suggest finding a shop with a wide belt sander over a planer. 37" wide is one of the standard widths for these sanders. They are pretty easy to use. And there is no chance of tear out with the sander. That can be an issue with a planer and some of the highly figured woods such as birdseye & curly maple.

The Foundry has one of these also.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I'll second the sander over planer. I Have used a belt sander on few tops I have done that wouldn't fit in an 18"sander. This time of year you should'nt have much trouble with shrinkage....of your glue joint that is.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

This This This

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Use a doweling jig or a biscuit joiner to get the slats in the same plane to glue them together (also adds additional surface area for glue up), take care of the dried glue lines with a card scraper and smooth/flatten it all with a #6 or #7 plane. Use an orbital sander at the end to take out any plane marks if necessary.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Rent a hardwood floor sander, I've done 5' x 12' conference tables this way. Black walnut with mahogany inlay, turned out perfect.

esrepairman

Mar 21, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Card scraper

Yeah, just use a card scraper for removing glue - pretty easy with a bit of elbow grease (especially if you do not have a plane). Hopefully you used biscuits or dowels to keep the 2 sides lined up.
    Most places will not let you use their planer if the wood did not come from their shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom