• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Hey guys,

If this is a completely taboo subject here in MD I am sorry for bringing it up.

I am orginally from out west, where land and backdrops are plentiful. A typical camping trip would involve finding a nice spot that we could plink all day long, completely legaly. Is there anything like this in MD?

I work at an outdoor retailer that isn't big on shooting/hunting/fishing etc (I know, I know, you think I'm a sell out, but I wanted a job close to home that would give me great deals on camping gear, and there are no BPS or the like anywhere near me). I really want to offer my uninformed co-workers the chance to fire a rifle and a pistol to see what its like (we can always use more people with an apperication of firearms). As much as like Cresap Rifle Club and want to support them, I don't want to pay 5 dollars a person for range fees, when they are only going to fire 10 rounds total, and would like to take the group out to a quieter venue if possiable as all the ambient noise at a range can be stressful to the first time shooter. The other issue is that Sunday is a huge workday for us, and it would be very hard to get more than a few people out to the range on the only day Cresap is open.

Still don't even know if anyone at work would even want to come out, its a pretty hippy intensive place, but if I can just educate a few people I would call that a win.

And again, if this is Taboo, just delete the thread, I'll get the point.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    growing up in maryland (1970's and 80s), right near the wilson bridge, we used to walk up and down the shores and all the surrounding trails with our .22s, plinking at cans and the like all day long with no issues at all. rode dirtbikes there too. that is clearly in the long gone past.

to answer your query, i doubt you will find anything totally legit, but hope someone will point you in the right direction.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The public land in this area will all have signs posted that say

No Weapons

Designated Hunting Area it will be marked

Hunting Zone Only

Target shooting on public land in this area will land you inside of some of our fine public housing. opps I mean Fines and Jail time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unlike out West , all State parks/ forrests , and NFs within a day's drive only allow target shooting on aproved ranges. In those areas that allow hunting , discharging firearms is allowed only in the course of actual hunting.

Your other option is to purchase a large tract of land, or make friends with private landowner of large tract of land.

The simplest answer is to pony up the $ 5 head.

Or , if the location is convienent to you, at MSAR the fee is per lane , with no more than 2 persons at a time , but you can shuttle them in & out , as long as only one at a time.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    If you like cresap, apply to the club, you have to put in some range days but you can use it whenever and just about however you. They need the dedicated members up there

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    As stated, pay the $5. Even the the DNR ranges mentioned have a fee and most are a good distance to travel to at $4/gal.

mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Check out Isaak Walton Leagues in Montgomery County

I just joined Rockville, but there are 5 or 6 in the county. They're general outdoor conservancy orgs, but most have a range or two. Once you're a member, you can use the range and bring guests. Will probably be accepted well by your gang since it's not just a bunch of gun nuts.

+1 for Elk Neck. I went there for the first time last week. There's a fee, but it's a really nice range with separate pistol, rifle, and trap ranges. Be sure to bring your own target and target stand. Make one that can stand alone because the ground is too firm to just stick a sign post into.

Since this was an old post, I'm wondering how it all went.

Cheers!

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom