• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I try to read the other guy. After sixty years, my crap detector is calibrated pretty darned good.

If I figure the other person is mining, I'll take any of a couple of tacks. The first and easiest is "Why do you want to know?" Or "What business is it of yours?"

Gratuitous as it is, I kinda like Norton's approach above.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    He probably needs to be clued in that there is a much higher level of paranoia in the gun community and he needs to hold off on asking questions.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I bought 11 boxes of shells per transaction to reach the minimum $50.00 purchase and each time the register printed a Dick’s cash coupon. I would’ve used them last night but they’re dated 12/27 forward.

What am I missing here?
    You spent $50 on ammo and then got $50 dicks cash (i.e. store credit) to spend later? That means the ammo was free.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Probably not big deal and I'd have likely responded similarly because I'm a nice guy. But it points to a bigger point that upstanding people are more likely to spontaneously answer seemingly innocent questions. And social engineering isn't innocent. Suspicion is like fear: Too much and you'll never cross the street. Not enough and you'll never make it across.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    What am I missing here?
    You spent $50 on ammo and then got $50 dicks cash (i.e. store credit) to spend later? That means the ammo was free.

I of course would like to see a deal like that. But I suspect it's spend $50 and get $10 credit deal.
    Waiting for confirmation.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Didnt you hear? The ATF is planting agents at Dicks to catch large ammo purchasers.:tinfoil:

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I was at Dick’s tonight stocking up on shotgun ammo. So the cashier starts asking why I’m buying so much ammo. I just tell him it’s because it’s cheap. Which it was. Then he starts asking me about what guns I own. I tell him I own a Remington shotgun. Then he says is that it? And I say yes. Because I’m a Scorecard member he has access to my name and address. So should I be worried or am I being paranoid?

He's probably parked out front RIGHT NOW, you should go look.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was at Dick’s tonight stocking up on shotgun ammo. So the cashier starts asking why I’m buying so much ammo. I just tell him it’s because it’s cheap. Which it was. Then he starts asking me about what guns I own. I tell him I own a Remington shotgun. Then he says is that it? And I say yes. Because I’m a Scorecard member he has access to my name and address. So should I be worried or am I being paranoid?
    I ask why they need to know this?

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I of course would like to see a deal like that. But I suspect it's spend $50 and get $10 credit deal.

Waiting for confirmation.

You are correct. I went through 5 times and received $10 each time I went through. The total each time after the coupons was $42.72/11 boxes. I had to buy 11 boxes to make the $50.00 minimum purchase.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    It turns out that you don't have to spend $50 to get $10 future store credit.
    My cashier broke up all $27.99 items into single transactions, and now I have double amount of $10 cards.
    Edit: However, I just figured, these "Dick's cash" printouts are NOT to be combined. In other words, you can only use one $10 thing per transaction.

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    $3.88 is even better than I saw up here in Harford. Hard to reload hulls for $6.30 even

Personally I would not have even spoke a word versus getting into some verbal judo contest with some random retail employee

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    It turns out that you don't have to spend $50 to get $10 future store credit.
    My cashier broke up all $27.99 items into single transactions, and now I have double amount of $10 cards.
    Edit: However, I just figured, these "Dick's cash" printouts are NOT to be combined. In other words, you can only use one $10 thing per transaction.

The $50 threshold was for one of the coupons I was using to purchase the shells. It’s a $10.00 off coupon for taking a survey about your previous visit. That was combined with a 10% off ammunition or firearm coupon for yesterday and today only. In addition, I received the 5 $10 Dick’s cash for future purchases. It’s the cheapest I’ve gotten shells in a long time. Walmart had a clearance price on Federal Gold Medals that we’re as low as $2.00/box. But not around here. Guys were buying every box they could find within a 100 miles of their house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom