• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I'd say at least for the silencer since it takes so long to get approved. I know I would be kicking myself for a year know that a "better" silencer came out right after I bought it.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I'd say at least for the silencer since it takes so long to get approved. I know I would be kicking myself for a year know that a "better" silencer came out right after I bought it.

Nah, not me. It's like buying a car or computer. If you wait to see the newest best thing, you will never get one.
    Stick with the major manufacturers and you will be fine. Go see Cooters and take a ride to Duffy's.

Silencer shop is cool, but they don't carry Silencerco, if thats the way you end up going. Also, one important aspect is customer service. Go over to the NFA thread and look at some of the threads. Make sure the manufacturer will stand by their product. SiCo had been excellent for me. Dead, Rugged also have stellar reps...

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Here I go...down the rabbit hole. Now I'm reading about NFA gun trusts. Plenty of places seem to be pushing these, but I don't think it suits my purposes. I suppose my primary concern would be passing any NFA items to my sons when I'm dead. It looks like a form 5 transfer could do that just fine.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Here I go...down the rabbit hole. Now I'm reading about NFA gun trusts. Plenty of places seem to be pushing these, but I don't think it suits my purposes. I suppose my primary concern would be passing any NFA items to my sons when I'm dead. It looks like a form 5 transfer could do that just fine.

There are several advantages to a trust. For example, if you wanted your son to be able to use the suppressor (while you are still alive) and take it to the range without you, this is only possible if you get a trust and put him on it. Same thing goes for other family members.

Another big thing is that if you store your suppressor or other NFA items in a safe that others have access to then they will need to be on the trust. Acquiring it as an individual will require that you lock the suppressor up within a secondary container inside your safe so that only you have access.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    IMHO I would wait to see what is announced at Shot Show at the end of January before making a decision.

While I agree with this, I would also caution that while many things are announced at Shot Show, many of them aren't available for months (or even years) afterward.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There are several advantages to a trust. For example, if you wanted your son to be able to use the suppressor (while you are still alive) and take it to the range without you, this is only possible if you get a trust and put him on it. Same thing goes for other family members.

Another big thing is that if you store your suppressor or other NFA items in a safe that others have access to then they will need to be on the trust. Acquiring it as an individual will require that you lock the suppressor up within a secondary container inside your safe so that only you have access.

THIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    IMHO I would wait to see what is announced at Shot Show at the end of January before making a decision.

I’m contemplating this before I lay down money for a 30 cal can

Agreed, it’s only 5-6 weeks away

Great video to watch here
    https://youtu.be/hlfv4puOXUA

While I agree with this, I would also caution that while many things are announced at Shot Show, many of them aren't available for months (or even years) afterward.

Agree with this also, it may be available immediately or take 5-6+ months because of manufacturing issues etc ie Hudson H9, Sig Sauer X five (carry), polymer/3D printed $100ish rimfire suppressors like inland pm-22

However only being 5-6 weeks away I would personally like to see what comes along before committing to a $600-1000 investment and 6-12 months of waiting all said and done

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    I think I've decided on the obsidian 45, and I'm probably going to order this week. I'll be purposely avoiding any news from shot-show for at least six months ;).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I think I've decided on the obsidian 45, and I'm probably going to order this week. I'll be purposely avoiding any news from shot-show for at least six months ;).

I wouldn't worry all that much. The Obsidian by all accounts is a great choice (no personal experience), and suppressors just aren't magical. While there are lots of improvements made, progress often seems more linear than geometric. Also cans can often be upgraded. The obsidian has removable baffles, so if major upgrades happen chances are decent you can partake.

The one suppressor I will be watching for news of at shot show is the Q Erector 45. Assuming that project hasn't been cancelled, I think it could be very cool.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas

Welcome to the Dark Side! The biggest downside to having a trust is that after you've set it up, it only makes sense to go ahead and get a few more cans, a couple of SBRs, and to start drooling over something with a giggle switch.

Not like that is a bad thing... :)

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton

Update: ordered! Should have the rifle first week of 2018. I'll probably get the suppressor shortly after I've forgotten about it completely ;)

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I'm also in the market for a 45 caliber suppressor. I currently have an Optimus 9 and a checkmate QD. I quickly learned after getting the Optimus that the "one can to rule them all" comes at a very hefty price. Not only is the suppressor $1k, but I ended up spending another $500 to get various muzzle devices, thread adapters, etc.

I was eyeing the SilencerCo hybrid but as someone else mentioned, it's not exactly a can you want to shoot on a pistol. It's very large and heavy for that application. It's even more expensive than the Optimus to buy the different end caps, thread adapters, etc. After Griffin recently released the Optimus 22, I'm hopeful that they will release a Optimus 45. If they do, I will buy it because many of the adapters that I already have would work. As a current product, Griffin has the revolution 45 which is basically the same size as the Optimus 9 so it would be pleasant to shoot on a pistol and is rated for some rifle use (although limited). Again in the revolution 45 scenario, I can use a lot of the adapters that I already own.

Personally, I won't go with a monocore design again. The Optimus stacked baffles are far easier to clean than the checkmate monocore. If I shoot a lot of 22 through the Optimus, I just throw the baffles into the stainless pin rotary cleaner and they come out like new. I've ended up with the a dental pick, tiny wire brush and other tools to get the crevices of the monocore clean after a similar tumbling.

I was looking at the Griffin site today and am thoroughly confused what I would need for a 5.56 rifle and a 9mm handgun. Would I end up spending $1500 for both configurations? Not even sure what I would need to purchase extra and their manual doesn't explain it.

Should I just get 2 dedicated silencers instead?

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    I am leaning toward the hybrid for me next can. I have the silencerco osprey n a couple of AAC cans and I’m very happy with them

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I am leaning toward the hybrid for me next can. I have the silencerco osprey n a couple of AAC cans and I’m very happy with them

I just got my Hybrid out of jail last week. I think I have muzzle devices now for all my rifles and the booster for my Glock 460 Rowland. Waiting for my rimfire can to clear jail and I am going to order a pair of Cole-Tac sleeves.

When the weather breaks, I am going to have quite the day at the range checking POI shifts :party29:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Anyone have some feedback on the "Rugged Obsidian 45" ?

I have really liked the ones I have used. If you are invested SiCo pistons, the Obsidians can use them. The couple of times I have used it convinced me to get a version in 9mm as well.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I have the Rugged Obsidian and all I can say is that its a really nice can.. Nothing but positive here... Who knows - maybe I’ll pickup the 9mm someday too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom