• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good luck. A lot of these "going out of business" sales are a joke.

Idk if this applies u iversally but years ago when radio shack was shutting down I asked a store manager when things would get to 50% or more. He said never, not even for employees. The tax benefits of writing off leftover merchandise greatly outweighed selling at anything greater than 15% off for most items. Could have been total bs, but I was floored.

I believe it.

Remember when CircuitCity was going out of business? A read that big companies hire a company that specializes in shutting things down in the most profitable way possible. CircuitCity jacked up prices, then started putting 'clearance' stickers and discounting things incrementally.

Probably the worst are furniture businesses that (I've seen some) have perpetual 'going out of business' signs. Second only to maybe used car salesmen, furniture businesses employ some of the sleaziest tactics. There's always an exception, and I've met more than a few very honest, and knowledgable/helpful salespeople that sell big ticket items.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    No bargains at the Gander Mtn in Coldwater, Michigan. 30% off full price clothing. No discounts on expensive guns or average price ammo.

In case you're in the neighborhood.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Got 2 GM's within 20mins of me. Not really interested in wasting my time with a non-sale sale, but I might check it out anyway.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    me and the gf went, picked up a few things, got a few nice deals and a few semi decent deals, was able to talk to the store manager and get a little extra discount on our entire order which helped out, I do have to say that GM played a part in me getting into AR's, buddy got his black rain ordnance gun there years ago, maybe around 2010, first time shooting it, I was hooked and started into collecting guns

Nice try, Gander Mtn.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    gm.jpg

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Stopped at the St. Augustine store a few days ago. Complete ripoff. The XDs .45 I bought a few months ago for $429 was being sold at GM for $549 after the 5% discount.
    I also saw an article in the business section of the newspaper that said the store stock was sold to a liquidator, and that the new owner of "Gander Outdoor", Marcus Lemonis, planned on selling discounted firearms.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Let me tell you this, marcus lemonis is no fool. They executed a hell of a liquidation. People paid prices I would never dream of paying for stuff. Herd mentality or what, but stuff consistently moved. Store fixtures moved as well, but at a premium (150 dollar 4' counter display cases, 50 dollar mannequins). The way I figure it, if I'm not happy and you are still selling items, then you are doing a good job, because i am cheap or trying to make a buck on my purchase, and that is a piece of the pie the store loses.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I saw over on TFB that The new combined business is looking to reopen something like 15-20 stores before the end of the year, 15-20 next year (early next year) and 10-15 in the further future.

Less shoes and apparel. More focus on shooting stuff. They will of course be hosting camping world stuff. So basically pew pew and tents.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I saw over on TFB that The new combined business is looking to reopen something like 15-20 stores before the end of the year, 15-20 next year (early next year) and 10-15 in the further future.

Less shoes and apparel. More focus on shooting stuff. They will of course be hosting camping world stuff. So basically pew pew and tents.

I hope that they honor GM points and rewards coupons. I accumulated some, but didn't want to make the trek to Salisbury to pick over the 'bones' left in their firearms.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I hope that they honor GM points and rewards coupons. I accumulated some, but didn't want to make the trek to Salisbury to pick over the 'bones' left in their firearms.

You are probably just better off being pleasantly surprised. I lucked out some. I had bought a discounted GM gift certificate about bought a bunch of ammo that was on sale and rebated like a week before they shut down their online ordering. If I had waited 2-3 more days I would have been SOL and had to drive to Salisbury to use the damn thing.

I got shipping confirmation the day before the website went down!

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Best deal I ever got was a Ruger Mark ll VT .308 for 400 bucks on the used rifle area of Gander Mt. Wisconsin. It looked new and the wife said get it for a Christmas present. This was in November of 2002. Checking the serial number it shipped from Ruger Sept. 2002. No idea why it was on the rack unless it was gifted as a hunting rifle. I wouldn't want to carry it afield. It is my most accurate bolt action. I'll miss Gander Mt. but there is no store locations in WV.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I'll miss Gander Mt. but there is no store locations in WV.

yeah but you have the new sportsman's warehouse. i used to visit their one out in reno when out there on biz, and visited the morgantown one a few months ago on a day trip from canaan.

wonder what the "new" gander will do better than the "old" gander?

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have fond memories of their catalog in pre-internet days. My wife bought her first hunting suit from Gander through their catalog. Gander was among the first to carry women's hunting clothing. At least the first one that we knew of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom