• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Tough. I like the tough tone. It is well justified. The Court however is not enforcing Heller save for Caetano. I'm not optimistic that this case will move them

Certainly does not make me optimistic either. I'm assuming you mean that the court simply will not take any case unless there's a major circuit/lower court conflict, even if it basically thumbs it's nose at Heller?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Certainly does not make me optimistic either. I'm assuming you mean that the court simply will not take any case unless there's a major circuit/lower court conflict, even if it basically thumbs it's nose at Heller?

I think that is right. However, the GVR in Caetano gives me some hope that the bar may be moving a bit. Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas are pushing hard on this. It only takes 4 to grant. Peruta was a bridge too far for the court since it was public carry. We shall see what happens to Kolbe.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Was supposed to be at conference today, but it was apparently "rescheduled" yesterday.
    Perhaps Gorsuch or Alito are taking a look before the cert pool does?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Was supposed to be at conference today, but it was apparently "rescheduled" yesterday.
    Perhaps Gorsuch or Alito are taking a look before the cert pool does?

More than merely rescheduled. On Jan. 8, the court also "requested the record" from the lower court. Generally, that suggests that at least one justice is taking a very close look at this case, and potentially writing some kind of decision. Whether it’s a summary reversal, dissent from the denial of certiorari, or something else, we likely won’t know until after the court receives, and reviews, the record.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    last time I recall seeing a request for the record from the lower court was Caetano, and we know how that turned out.

Same outcome is probaly too much to hope for here. Still its good news!

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Wish SAF would challenge the new CA ammo laws.

Those are more likely to reduce participation in shooting sports and ownership, which is the lib end-game.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    last time I recall seeing a request for the record from the lower court was Caetano, and we know how that turned out.

Same outcome is probaly too much to hope for here. Still its good news!

Here, the record in Silvester is big. They had a trial and there were extensive findings of fact by the trial court on whether the 10 day waiting period had any purpose in cases where the the purchaser already had a gun. This may take awhile.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    More than merely rescheduled. On Jan. 8, the court also "requested the record" from the lower court. Generally, that suggests that at least one justice is taking a very close look at this case, and potentially writing some kind of decision. Whether it’s a summary reversal, dissent from the denial of certiorari, or something else, we likely won’t know until after the court receives, and reviews, the record.

In theory, could they actually be writing something since, it hasn't even gone to conference yet?
    Definitely a good sign but definitely doesn't mean they'll take the case or even that we'll get a dissent.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    In theory, could they actually be writing something since, it hasn't even gone to conference yet?
    Definitely a good sign but definitely doesn't mean they'll take the case or even that we'll get a dissent.

Oh, that’s right, I didn’t mean to imply that active drafting is underway. I do think that the request for the record is unusual. It did happen in Cataneo, but IIRC, it did not happen in any of the other 2A cases in which the Court denied cert. Generally, asking for the record in a case in where there was an actual trial means that the requestor(s) is interested in the facts. Jaffe, plaintiff’s counsel in this case, is the real deal with a solid rep and credibility with the Court. This case could be a sleeper.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Records have been received from CA9 and ED of California.
    It should be distributed for conference now.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Drumroll, please....

FocusedDefensiveElephantbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member