Old February 20th, 2021, 09:40 PM #1

Have you consolidated?

Before the Obama administration, I was all over the place with my handgun selection. Buying whatever struck my fancy, then buying dies and components to reload for it. Two major factors changed that behavior. The eight years of Obama and my wife who wanted to get into shooting with me. I knew and understood that she'd never be as enthusiastic about shooting or firearms like me and that' ok. We would go to an indoor range twice a month to shoot our handguns which was about 500 rounds total each outing. We even manage to get a few other couples to participate as the shooting range had "date night" specials on Fridays.

Well, I started doing the math. That was 1,000 rounds a month and although we didn't hold that schedule of shooting twice a month for the entire year, we were still going through 6,000 to 10,000 rounds a year. We even go to an outdoor rifle range during the summer months to plink with the 22lr and sometime bring her nephews along. If you ever want to make a 22lr brick of ammo disappear fast, bring two young ones along to go shooting!!!! While they'd be depleting my 22lr ammo, I'd squeeze off few round of the 223rem.

Then along came Obama and things got stupid crazy like they currently are today. That had me do some serious rethinking and had me come to the conclusion, that for me, I would be better if I started consolidating my reloading components and to lesser degree my firearms. I know longer hunted so didn't need firearms along those lines. Sold my dee rifles along with my 44mag handgun, etc.

"We" ended up to 9mm in our semiautos and 38/357mag in our revolvers and downsizing our collection got rid of the 45acp 1911s, da/sa pistols. I kept a 223rem bolt action just because, I wanted it, and then 22lr because they're fun and cheap!

By doing this, it greatly simplified my logistics! I didn't need to keep three different size primers, numerous different gun powders, sorting small primer vs large prime 45acp brass. If I was I was going to shoot 357mag load out of my revolver I'd use 2400 powder instead of H110 so that I wouldn't need to stock magnum small primers as well as standard small primers. Thinking ahead of stuff like that and what I want to do and need was tremendous helpful to me.

I'm not saying that what I did was right, but it did simply my logistics as I could focus where to put attention for reloading supplies, etc. and I find myself not as hurt during times of shortages such as we are currently experiencing.

Has anyone here every thought about consolidating to make their reloading life simpler?
leomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 09:49 PM #2

I have to tools to reload 17 or 18 calibers. I have enough components to reload them all... But right now im only doing common calibers with what I have. 9mm, 556, 300 BO 10mm and 45acp mostly. My hunting calibers, 30 30, 308, 35 Remington and 350 legend can wait. I may do some 40 S&W too... But right now only defensive calibers are getting the love.

The refusal to take sides on great moral issues is a decision in itself... It is a silent acquiescence to evil...
The tragedy of our time is that those who still believe in honesty lack fire and conviction while those who believe in dishonesty are full of passionate conviction

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Muleskinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 09:55 PM #3
Peace through strength

Peace through strength

I'm sorta of the opposite opinion.

When scrounging for ammo, I can look for (currently) 7 different calibers, not two or three.

And while not yet reloading, I've been collecting various components for those calibers.

My thought is that if one becomes impossible, the others can still be had.
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:01 PM #4

I don't reload, but I consolidated my choices several years ago, simply because I wanted to shoot in calibers that were always available (just like the present, LOL), had multiple choices in ammo types, and for the most part were more affordable. I've limited myself to four calibers. 22lr, 38/357, 9mm, and 45acp. Interestingly enough, most of the 45acp is shot with moonclips in revolvers.
python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:02 PM #5

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlersmother View Post

When scrounging for ammo, I can look for (currently) 7 different calibers, not two or three.

And while not yet reloading, I've been collecting various components for those calibers.

Indeed this. During the panic of 2013, I could almost always find .40 cal.

9mm, .45acp, .38/.357 were all gone, but I could always get .40. I kept my collection broad intentionally thinking I could likely get ammo for one of them.

If you must make a compromise to carry a concealed handgun, compromise on fashion, not the firearm.
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:06 PM #6

I'm pretty much the opposite. For me, every new cartridge is a new learning experience, and a new adventure. There's arguably some redundancy, but I'm ok with that.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:06 PM #7

I feel the opposite argument is stronger .

The typical cals that the approach standardizes on are very popular . Whenever ammo/ components supply become tight , they are the first to disappear .

For the simplify to the very popular to be valid , you would have to keep a near lifetime supply in reserve .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:16 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlersmother View Post

I use to be of that thought as well until I work at gun shop for awhile. Once the pipeline for the non-mainstream ammo is gone, there wasn't anymore coming in. The manufacturers were having trouble keeping up with the mainstream cartridges, 9mm, 223rem/5.56 that weren't going to have downtime swapping over to make say 380acp for example.

We got stocked once a year for 30-06 and that was it, versus getting 308win sporadically throughout the year, but the 308win would never stay on the shelf. Same with 223rem/5.56. The 40S&W had some staying power but it also eventually ran dry too and now that FBI went back to the 9mm and most of the police dept following, I don't know how much staying power the 40S&W will have during future shortages.

It's true that the mainstream cartridges are the first to fill the pinch during a shortage but they are also the ones given the most attention by the manufactures to try to keep up with demand as well. Just something to think about.
leomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:25 PM #9

Different strokes and all that.

Even in flush times for ammo, I personally can't think of anything that would bore the hell out of me more, than a constant diet of nothing other than 9mm and .556. Maybe that's just me.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:26 PM #10
Just another shooter

Just another shooter

Have you consolidated?

I've done something similar. I realized that I prefer handgun shooting to rifle shooting, I sold my ARs and my 40 S&W guns, and bought loading materials for my handgun calibers, 380 ACP, 9x19, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 45LC, and 45 ACP. I got rid of a lot of my redundant guns and got some multiple purpose guns. I got a revolver that can handle 9x19, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum. I got a lever rifle that shoots 38/357. I got A Rossi Circuit Judge that can handle 45 LC and 410. To go with the Circuit Judge, I sold some more stuff and got a Taylor's and Co. Ranch Hand in 45 LC. I also have a Taurus Judge that does the same thing as the Circuit Judge.

The common thread through all the handgun rounds is they can be loaded with either Hi-Skor 700-X, IMR Target, and Trail Boss.

I got rid of a few other pieces and got a Kel-Tec PMR-30 and CMR-30 combo so I could have a lighter weight sporting rifle than an AR and have a pistol that uses the same ammo and mags. I wanted one high end race gun, so I sold three other pieces and got a Sig Sauer P320 X5 Legion with a Romeo 1 Pro, an extra FCU, and frames with slides and barrels for the P320 in compact and carry versions. I got rid of a few of my 22s and completely tricked out my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite in gold and black. In total, I probably got rid of 15 pieces, but I ended up with a well curated collection that I can load my own ammo for without buying a round for years.
NRA Life Member
NRA Pistol and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
ATF Curio and Relic Licensed
MD HQL and Wear & Carry Instructor
Perpetual Prepper
Committed Libertarian
knastera is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns