Old February 22nd, 2021, 11:29 PM #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Hunter View Post
Ranges should never have specified rate of fire restrictions. The rule should always be don't be a nuisance or danger to yourself and those around you. It does suck when the guy with the 7.5" 5.56 pistol with a muzzle break comes in there and goes to town.
Range I am a member is “whatever is safe and hits the target”. If that is a round a minute or as fast as you can shoot. You may not mag dump, because you aren’t landing your rounds on your target (and moving a pistol target to 3yds doesn’t count).

Most ranges are operated with the lowest common denominator. Just because the guy with years of experience and training can double tap targets at 50yds off hand with a pistol doesn’t mean every guy can. Ideally an RSO will make a call one guy is being safe and one guy not with it. When it is many shooters and one RSO it is easier and safer for all just to specify a rate of fire and easier to listen for, watch at a glance and discipline for breaking.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2021, 11:42 PM #102
E pluribus unum

E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtill View Post
They walk down and unobtrusively reconnoiter the pistola range, seemingly at a minimum of once an hour.
My only interactions I seem to get with the RSO’s at AGC is the scrutiny of my height vs target height and the berm. I’ve got the same standard frame 6’ or so I’ve always had but need to build an extension onto it for more offhand rifle and better flexibility on the pistol range. I’m 6’7” so it works out I’m shooting seated most of the time on the Barnes range at 25yrds. 50yds I can get one 8” target at the top of it, at 100 I mostly shoot steel unless I’m sighting something in.
Mark392001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 09:16 AM #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Range I am a member is “whatever is safe and hits the target”. If that is a round a minute or as fast as you can shoot. You may not mag dump, because you aren’t landing your rounds on your target (and moving a pistol target to 3yds doesn’t count).

Most ranges are operated with the lowest common denominator. Just because the guy with years of experience and training can double tap targets at 50yds off hand with a pistol doesn’t mean every guy can. Ideally an RSO will make a call one guy is being safe and one guy not with it. When it is many shooters and one RSO it is easier and safer for all just to specify a rate of fire and easier to listen for, watch at a glance and discipline for breaking.
That is one of the reasons I dropped my AGC membership many years ago.

They had a 1 round per second limit. I was shooting on the pistol range and the RSO came over on his 4 wheeler to tell me to slow down, I was shooting too fast.

Funny thing was, I was running my timer and the shot intervals ranged from 1.2 - 1.5 seconds. He did not care, his time sense was more accurate than my shot timer.

I packed up, left, and never went back.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 09:38 AM #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

They had a 1 round per second limit. I was shooting on the pistol range and the RSO came over on his 4 wheeler to tell me to slow down, I was shooting too fast.

Funny thing was, I was running my timer and the shot intervals ranged from 1.2 - 1.5 seconds. He did not care, his time sense was more accurate than my shot timer.

Sad. I've seen guys blazing away with a pistol target holder at 5yds violating the heck out of the spirit of the rule at my range (IWLA Damascus) watching rounds hit all over the backstop, but I've yet to see someone being really unsafe about it. The back stops are REALLY tall hills. Not that I condone their behavior, it is violating the rules for sure. But like 99% of guys follow the basic rule and shoot slow enough to keep their rounds on the target and I've never seen anyone come remotely close to shooting in a way.

That said, we get periodic reminders of things like "drawing from a holster is not allowed". Which tells me guys are doing that expressly against the rules even if I am not seeing it.

Honestly the most annoying one (though the least safety issue related) is seeing the about every 2 month email reminder that during the current situation members are only allowed to bring guests who are household family members due to reduced capacity restrictions on the ranges and social distancing. I have absolutely seen several times between sign in sheets and people on the range bringing friends. Seen a couple of time grand parents bringing their grandkids (though I guess it is possible the kids were living with the grandparents. Though same group that were setting up steel rimfire targets at 20 or so yds on the rifle range and shooting steel is not allowed, but I was headed out and no one else was there).

General level of stupid seems to have gone up the last year, but attendance down since the pandemic started. Way better on average than any trip to a commercial range where I've seen at least one or two actively unsafe things when I've been there if I was there more than 2hrs. But still annoying. Hoping it is something that improves with time.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 04:20 PM #105

Having an RO on the range is a good policy and I like it as long as it does not go overboard from helpful to “No Soup For You”. Having members certify for certain things such as steel use, holster use also is a good policy.

Pictures and video I am ok with, as long as the person shooting is not the one holding the video device. Once again an RO should be able to police bad behavior.

I usually have my cell phone out at least once a session (securely set up out of the way) taking video of me on my draw stroke, etc, video is a great training tool when doing live fire practice as well as dry fire practice.

OnTarget banning that is just one more reason I won’t shoot at the range 2 miles from my house. I understand why they do it (bad publicity in a gun control state), but that does not mean that I have to like that they instated a poor blanket policy for the few trouble makers.
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 09:22 PM #106
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
I usually have my cell phone out at least once a session (securely set up out of the way) taking video of me on my draw stroke, etc, video is a great training tool when doing live fire practice as well as dry fire practice.
This, IMO, is completely unnecessary - you could film that to your heart's content at home - there's no reason to do it at the range unless you like to watch it back later to assure yourself that you're a gun-totin' stud. Why do I believe this? I believe that because I have thousands and thousands of hours in the practice room with a musical instrument where I'm essentially "dry firing" and figuring out what's what before I put it out there on a performance.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 09:31 PM #107

I like to take a picture of the target after I've shot at it and brought it back just to have a record of how good or bad my day was.
blipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 09:40 PM #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

When was that? They certainly haven’t had that in at least 7-8 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbird7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 10:46 PM #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
This, IMO, is completely unnecessary - you could film that to your heart's content at home - there's no reason to do it at the range unless you like to watch it back later to assure yourself that you're a gun-totin' stud. Why do I believe this? I believe that because I have thousands and thousands of hours in the practice room with a musical instrument where I'm essentially "dry firing" and figuring out what's what before I put it out there on a performance.
Tough to watch how well you mitigate recoil watching a video of yourself doing dry practice.
hogarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 11:23 PM #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Tough to watch how well you mitigate recoil watching a video of yourself doing dry practice.
Exactly... muzzle rise, overcompensation for recoil, form issues.

There are dozens of sports where people critique and correct their performance through the use of video. Shooting is no different.
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting