• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    As others have said, if I were looking at .454, I would just get a Smith .460 which can shoot .460, .454 and .45LC. Shoot the fast stuff when your wrists are feeling strong and shoot .45lc when they aren't.

As far as 10mm, sadly MOST comercially available 10mm is downloaded to 40s&w velocities. Federal and Winchester are two of the worst at this, with some of their 10mm offerings chronoing at the same or slower speeds than 40. Full power 10mm can be had, Remington green and white is okay, but to really get the most out of it you need buffalo bore or underwood. Loaded on the hotter side, 10mm can give you solid .357 performance, with the lighter bullets giving muzzle energies around the mid-700s.

If I were doing another 10mm, I would probably go with a double stack 1911 from DW, or convert a Para .40-16 to 10. Basically works out to a 16-20 rd .357 which isn't a slouch.

Basically, as others have said, the .454 is a dedicated woods and brush gun for hunting and big critter defense. The 10 would be better for home defense and carry. Either is fun at the range, depending on proclivities.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As others have said, if I were looking at .454, I would just get a Smith .460 which can shoot .460, .454 and .45LC. Shoot the fast stuff when your wrists are feeling strong and shoot .45lc when they aren't.

As far as 10mm, sadly MOST comercially available 10mm is downloaded to 40s&w velocities. Federal and Winchester are two of the worst at this, with some of their 10mm offerings chronoing at the same or slower speeds than 40. Full power 10mm can be had, Remington green and white is okay, but to really get the most out of it you need buffalo bore or underwood. Loaded on the hotter side, 10mm can give you solid .357 performance, with the lighter bullets giving muzzle energies around the mid-700s.

If I were doing another 10mm, I would probably go with a double stack 1911 from DW, or convert a Para .40-16 to 10. Basically works out to a 16-20 rd .357 which isn't a slouch.

Basically, as others have said, the .454 is a dedicated woods and brush gun for hunting and big critter defense. The 10 would be better for home defense and carry. Either is fun at the range, depending on proclivities.

Boats is right on with the ammo specs. Herter’s loads a stouter than 40 S&W 180 grainer rated at 1164 fps. I’ve shot the Underwood 180 at 1250 fps. They are different loads.

If building a 1911 pattern pistol in 10, or even buying one, you’ll be ahead of the game to use a flat bottom firing pin stop or a Harrison stop with the small radius and 3 degree relief cut. Both reduce the hammer’s mechanical advantage and reduce the percieved recoil since more energy is spent cocking the hammer. Throw in a 26 pound mainspring and you can use a 20 pound recoil spring. I use a 28 pound mainspring in mine. That will mitigate recoil as well as almost all the firing pin drag on the primers. Have fun charging it. Very doable but is a culture shock. Cocking the hammer first will help.

The Colt Delta has a reputation that some of its barrels in 10 are not highly supported. Reports of smiley face brass abound when shooting hot loads. Can’t attest to blowouts...but I imagine a hot rod reloader or two have had them. Or summer ammo sitting in the sun or hot car.

Whether you buy or build...have fun. One of my next projects is a 45 SMC build. About a good 45 Super.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just got the last package of parts to finish up a P80 G20. My first 10mm. Bought the ammo long before I started raking the pistol parts together. I'm a big fan of having at least one firearm that can shoot any of the top 20 or so cartridges I might come across. And spending more time now in black bear territory, I realized something was missing for those strolls in the woods. Finding a good holster for woods-style carrying that P80 frame ... now THAT is a project.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Magnumite:
    Your knowledge is always refreshing and informative.
    I will look for a 80% 2011. If I can’t find one I will reach out. I assume it will need to be a rather sturdy one if I am going with a 10mm setup.

Anything in the frame I should stay away from?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Spectorsupply on gunbroker sells steel single stack frames for around $100 or so. You can get one cut fir a ramped barrel which should give you more case support.

You will see some 2011 type 80% frames for auction, too. Those 80% are going for about $200. JEM guns sells 100% hi-cap frame for $300. They are quickly becoming the standard in the industry. $300 is pricey but you’ll pay lots for jigs if you don’t already own or borrow (an ATF no-no) one.

Caspian sells cosmetic seconds for about $150 (Foster single stack). Caspian branded firsts are $215. Right now a carbon railed frame, Foster, is going for $150. Top flight frame for not a whole lot of money. Caspian shipping costs are reasonable. Find an ffl who doesn’t want to punch a hole in your pockets and that is a good price.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You will see some 2011 type 80% frames for auction, too. Those 80% are going for about $200. JEM guns sells 100% hi-cap frame for $300. They are quickly becoming the standard in the industry. $300 is pricey but you’ll pay lots for jigs if you don’t already own or borrow (an ATF no-no) one.

There are no rules about borrowing jigs. If you really want to get technical, I will sell anyone my jigs for a dollar, with the sale being contingent on the re-sale of said jig for the same price within a specified period of time. Letting people use your jigs is perfectly legal as long as you don't do any of the work for them.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I’ve known about the buy/sell transactions. The equipment and premises the receiver built with/on is supposed to be the makers. This is what squashed the AK and AR build parties. Unless rulings have changed, I err on the side of caution.

I do know if I owned a mill and let you use it...that constitutes manufacture. Legalities. The whole point was having vs purchasing the jigs.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve known about the buy/sell transactions. The equipment and premises the receiver built with/on is supposed to be the makers. This is what squashed the AK and AR build parties. Unless rulings have changed, I err on the side of caution.

I do know if I owned a mill and let you use it...that constitutes manufacture. Legalities. The whole point was having vs purchasing the jigs.

No, it doesn't. That ruling only applied to businesses. Individuals can do WTF they want with their property.

Read the ruling:

Held, any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver suitable for use as part of a “weapon … which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive,” i.e., a “firearm,” must be licensed as a manufacturer under the GCA; identify (mark) any such firearm; and maintain required manufacturer’s records.

Held further, a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment.

Held further, this ruling is limited to an interpretation of the requirements imposed on persons under the GCA, and does not interpret the requirements of the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. 5801 et. seq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom