• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks.

I went with Perry Hall Heating & Air Conditioning.

I had originally planned to go with Contemporary Air Systems, but he said he was on the downhill side to retirement, and only offered me one option.

I wanted to go with a company that's not only been around a while (Since 1982), but one that should still be around before any warranty period runs out.

They are A+ BBB rated, have tons of good online reviews, and have done a few of my neighbor's jobs as well. The latest, 4 houses away from me, couldn't be happier with their service, and the unit she got...which is close to same as Augie has, and same exact one as the one I am getting. :thumbsup:

A "basic", but "new" setup, comparable to what I had (and have NEVER been happy with), was $6,000, or spend $1,800 more and get a much better, much nearer to top of the line unit. Several people with the same exact setup, praising it on review sites, paid an average of $10K for same as I'm getting for under 8, so that helps the sting a good bit.

Today's a little warm for my fat-arse, so I'm definitely looking forward to this weekend. :)

People will naturally tend to focus on equipment brands. The truth in this industry is, the very best piece of equipment made, coupled with a subpar installation, is going to mean trouble.

Good luck with your installation. I think you'll be happy with it. You picked a good company.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    People will naturally tend to focus on equipment brands. The truth in this industry is, the very best piece of equipment made, coupled with a subpar installation, is going to mean trouble.

Good luck with your installation. I think you'll be happy with it. You picked a good company.

I agree 100%. Thank you.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Any update?

Perry Hall Heating and Air Conditioning is who did it.
    I'd recommend them 100% positively. :thumbsup:

Total of 4 guys (One mechanic/3 helpers) showed up at (as promised) about 8:30am, May 8th.

The main guy explained what they'd be doing, and how they'd be doing it.
    IE; they basically ripped everything out at the same time, 2 outside, 2 inside.
    He said they should be done by 4pm...

They were done, cleaned up, packed up, and driving away, by 2pm.

They were very respectful of our home and property, and all wore masks inside the house, as well as "booties" on their boots. They worked through lunch and took no breaks...they were there to work.

Once they got done, the main guy showed me how the new wi-fi thermostat worked, although it was about 2 weeks before we ever had to turn it on, so I basically had total memory loss of it...lol. :lol2:

The workers and company, I'd give 5 stars...

As for the system, which is 18 SEER heat pump, air handler, and wi-fi thermostat, I'd also give that 5 stars...It is NO COMPARISON to the POS Armstrong unit I had for the previous 17 years.

If set on FAN ONLY, actually MOVES AIR, and a LOT of it, if on HIGH...
    A/C is nice and cold, enough so where the wife says it is TOO COLD, lol :innocent0
    I love the multi speed fan and compressor. It's amazingly quiet inside and out. It automatically speeds up or slows down as needed. I also like the fact that it tells us the outside temperature, and gives the weekly weather. In the AM, when getting ready to leave work, I just glance at the thermostat as I pass by it, and know if I need my jacket, or a remote start of the truck, or whatever. :)

Admittedly, I still have some learning curve on the setting of the thermostat, as it honestly has "too much" going on, IMO. I do like the fact that I can set, or just check it from my phone.

My neighbor got the exact same setup back in February, and paid 9 grand, so me getting it "off season" for less than 8 ($7850 to be exact), after the instant rebates, was awesome.

So, if I am ever asked...

I'd recommend both the Carrier Infinity system and Perry Hall Heating & Air Conditioning, 100%

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Perry Hall Heating and Air Conditioning is who did it.
    I'd recommend them 100% positively. :thumbsup:

Total of 4 guys (One mechanic/3 helpers) showed up at (as promised) about 8:30am, May 8th.

The main guy explained what they'd be doing, and how they'd be doing it.
    IE; they basically ripped everything out at the same time, 2 outside, 2 inside.
    He said they should be done by 4pm...

They were done, cleaned up, packed up, and driving away, by 2pm.

They were very respectful of our home and property, and all wore masks inside the house, as well as "booties" on their boots. They worked through lunch and took no breaks...they were there to work.

Once they got done, the main guy showed me how the new wi-fi thermostat worked, although it was about 2 weeks before we ever had to turn it on, so I basically had total memory loss of it...lol. :lol2:

The workers and company, I'd give 5 stars...

As for the system, which is 18 SEER heat pump, air handler, and wi-fi thermostat, I'd also give that 5 stars...It is NO COMPARISON to the POS Armstrong unit I had for the previous 17 years.

If set on FAN ONLY, actually MOVES AIR, and a LOT of it, if on HIGH...
    A/C is nice and cold, enough so where the wife says it is TOO COLD, lol :innocent0
    I love the multi speed fan and compressor. It's amazingly quiet inside and out. It automatically speeds up or slows down as needed. I also like the fact that it tells us the outside temperature, and gives the weekly weather. In the AM, when getting ready to leave work, I just glance at the thermostat as I pass by it, and know if I need my jacket, or a remote start of the truck, or whatever. :)

Admittedly, I still have some learning curve on the setting of the thermostat, as it honestly has "too much" going on, IMO. I do like the fact that I can set, or just check it from my phone.

My neighbor got the exact same setup back in February, and paid 9 grand, so me getting it "off season" for less than 8 ($7850 to be exact), after the instant rebates, was awesome.

So, if I am ever asked...

I'd recommend both the Carrier Infinity system and Perry Hall Heating & Air Conditioning, 100%

Glad it worked out well for you, sounds like you got a good deal and a good Carrier dealer to install it.
    Because this system dehumidifies the whole house your wife may be feeling colder with it set to the same temps as your last system, I found I could set the thermostat 2 degrees higher than what I had it before and still be very comfortable.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yea big difference between single stage HP and air handler. We got a two stage Trane and variable speed air handler and passed on the WiFi thermostat. Got the best model digital one. What’s good is the fan has a “prog” setting that means if there’s no activity with the HP for over an hour the fan will automatically come on for 10 minutes then off for 20. Good for extra circulation during the day. Good luck.

baltech

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks for the update, i will be giving them a call. We have a similar situation here. Living with a sub-par system for years.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Glad it worked out well for you, sounds like you got a good deal and a good Carrier dealer to install it.
    Because this system dehumidifies the whole house your wife may be feeling colder with it set to the same temps as your last system, I found I could set the thermostat 2 degrees higher than what I had it before and still be very comfortable.

Thanks for the pre purchase feedback!
    I'm glad you mentioned the temp higher than it was thing...I'm pretty sure I'll need to do that as well. Since we haven't really needed it for the last 2 weeks, I'm still figuring it all out, lol :thumbsup:

Yea big difference between single stage HP and air handler. We got a two stage Trane and variable speed air handler and passed on the WiFi thermostat. Got the best model digital one. What’s good is the fan has a “prog” setting that means if there’s no activity with the HP for over an hour the fan will automatically come on for 10 minutes then off for 20. Good for extra circulation during the day. Good luck.

Thanks! I told my neighbor, with the same setup, who asked me to come turn her AC on for her, lol..."I'd just assume have a round t-stat with a Heat & Cool button, and a red arrow that you turn to the desired temp, haha. I'm not sure I had an option of less gimmicky thermostat?

Thanks for the update, i will be giving them a call. We have a similar situation here. Living with a sub-par system for years.

Good Luck. I'm 100% happy with the final decision to go with a better unit than I dealt with for the last 17 years. Literally night and day difference.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    That’s a really good price. I’m sure with them being a carrier dealer they get better pricing. I’ve gotten pricing for the infinity line before, but it just couldn’t compete with some of the low to mid tier options. Nice system though and at a great price!

Thanks. If I could just figure out this fancy-schmancy thermostat, I'd be ok...lol.

I'm so flustered with it, I'm going to actually read the manual...:lol2:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I think you will be very pleased with how much more comfortable your house will be.

Just wanted to update...

I agree with you 100% Augie!

It's a much better setup than we had for the last several years.
    We usually keep it at 75, and that's a happy medium between how I like it, and how the wife likes it. Very pleased with the decision to spend a little more, for a better overall unit.

In the 3 months we've had it, it hasn't hardly ever been turned off, and we're averaging 350Kwh (just shy of 20%) less electric usage per month, compared to last year at same time, and house has been about 90% more comfortable... :thumbsup:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Just wanted to update...

I agree with you 100% Augie!

It's a much better setup than we had for the last several years.
    We usually keep it at 75, and that's a happy medium between how I like it, and how the wife likes it. Very pleased with the decision to spend a little more, for a better overall unit.

In the 3 months we've had it, it hasn't hardly ever been turned off, and we're averaging 350Kwh (just shy of 20%) less electric usage per month, compared to last year at same time, and house has been about 90% more comfortable... :thumbsup:

Glad it's working out for you, these Carrier Infinity systems amaze me, the house is so much more comfortable and it literally costs next to nothing to cool it. I was checking the electricity usage last week during the very hot humid days we had and it was showing 70 cents a day.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Glad it's working out for you, these Carrier Infinity systems amaze me, the house is so much more comfortable and it literally costs next to nothing to cool it. I was checking the electricity usage last week during the very hot humid days we had and it was showing 70 cents a day.

Shoot, I'd pay a buck if I had to, LMAO! :lol2:

Seriously though, is that (daily usage) something that's viewable on the thermostat, or did you see that somewhere else?

I literally have not touched the thermostat after initial setup

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Shoot, I'd pay a buck if I had to, LMAO! :lol2:

Seriously though, is that (daily usage) something that's viewable on the thermostat, or did you see that somewhere else?

I literally have not touched the thermostat after initial setup

Yup, go to menu, go to energy tracking, touch energy usage, at the top of that screen it will give you the option of energy or dollars. The first energy usage screen gives you the ability to enter your energy pricing so the dollar amount is accurate, for instance on mine I entered .08 cents kWh.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Yup, go to menu, go to energy tracking, touch energy usage, at the top of that screen it will give you the option of energy or dollars. The first energy usage screen gives you the ability to enter your energy pricing so the dollar amount is accurate, for instance on mine I entered .08 cents kWh.

Awesome. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I actually was able to see it on the "app"...

Basically with thermostat set at 75 during the day, and 73 at night, here's what I found...

I have no idea if my kWh price is correct, or how it even got entered, lol, but mine says it used 15kwh Sunday, and 18 kwh yesterday...

Attachments

• t stat.jpg
      t stat.jpg
      31.5 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads