• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Recently I bought a rifle for a ridiculously good price. It is a BRNO Mauser with a Kimber of Oregon 24" barrel. It just has a cheap plastic stock but it is a 7MM Rem Mag. When I got it, the barrel was "in the white".
    I had to try it out at a Hooligan shoot last Sunday and was stunned by the way it shot. I just slapped an old Tasco 4x12 on it and bore sighted it the old fashioned way, on my basement wall. I was on paper immediately.

I will be adding photos to this thread as the project comes together.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 422
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 420
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      109.4 KB · Views: 423
    • 014 (2).jpg
      014 (2).jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 415

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    CombatAK, I've seen your rifle up close and know how accurate it it. And it's dayum loud! For the price? You "stole" that beast. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing what you do on bluing the barrel. As you know, I have a project barrel on my bench pretty close to that point too.

:D

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Today, I scuffed up the stock and painted it with some trunk paint. I plan on replacing it with a walnut sporter stock at some point but this little paint job makes it look so much better.

I also epoxied the sling swivels into the stock so I can use a bipod.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
      IMG_0045.jpg
      43.2 KB · Views: 236
    • IMG_0043.jpg
      IMG_0043.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 240
    • IMG_0044.jpg
      IMG_0044.jpg
      27.3 KB · Views: 235

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Oh, so now we see what you were doing today vs.shooting in the fog and mist this morning... :innocent0

Looking good! Can't wait to see that project back at the range and ready to shoot...

:thumbsup:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thats a solid looking rifle. I don't know why you would be stunned by the way it shot. If whoever put it together did a nice job drilling and tapping the receiver and it feeds and ejects well with no brass abnormalities it's a home run.
    Makes me wonder why someone got rid of it.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    The guy bought it second (or third or fourth) hand and really didn't know what he had. It was just butt ugly when I got it. Oh, and he needed the $150.00.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I talked to a guy who bought a near mint NRA sales rifle from a kid for a hundred bucks who was on his way to O.C. He told me there was some other modern firearms that he wanted ridiculous prices for just because they were "newer." When he said what about that one the kid was like "that old junk?" give me a hundred bucks. It was in the 610xxx's or 21's if I remember.
    I sent a picture of it to Rick the Librarian and he laughed his ass off.
    Different priorities for folks I guess.
    The only thing I would be cautious about with a magnum conversion on a standard length M98 is how much material was removed from the feed ramps. I'm not saying this is the case with your rifle, but sometimes someone may have gotten overzealous if the feed ramp needed alot of adjustment which could remove a significant amount of supporting material from behind the lower lug. It's been done a gazillion times before but worthy to enough to mention if that happens to be the case.

Randy Wood

Jan 30, 2010
    My memory on this is a little foggy, but I seem to recall the Kimber company itself selling surplus Mauser 98 actions with sporter barrels and synthetic stocks for a very brief period of time in the early 1990s. You could also order them with the barrel in the white, receiver drilled and tapped, sights or no sights, as a project gun. So this may be one of those guns.

Can anyone confirm this, or have I totally lost my mind? Regardless, you got a great deal for $150.

Randy

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Randy Wood

Jan 30, 2010
    CombatAK,

I just read your post from April 29th in the other thread, and it confirmed that my memory was correct.

Back in the early 90s I was fresh out of graduate school and had absolutely zero extra cash to spend on anything that wasn't tied to food or housing. My father was an 01 FFL dealer and he would pass along his manufacturers' printed catalogs and distributers' price sheets for me to read. It seemed like Kimber of Oregon only offered those surplus M98 based rifles for a matter of a few months before production stopped.

R

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    CombatAK,

I just read your post from April 29th in the other thread, and it confirmed that my memory was correct.

Back in the early 90s I was fresh out of graduate school and had absolutely zero extra cash to spend on anything that wasn't tied to food or housing. My father was an 01 FFL dealer and he would pass along his manufacturers' printed catalogs and distributers' price sheets for me to read. It seemed like Kimber of Oregon only offered those surplus M98 based rifles for a matter of a few months before production stopped.

R

My research says that you are correct. I am fairly sure that this is one of those rifles. The recoil pad of the Butler Creek stock has "Kimber" imprinted on it. I am going to replace the stock with wood but, I will keep this one in case I want to swap it for hunting during nasty weather. I feel that I have a nice rifle for a sweet price. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom