• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    What scope would you recommend that can take a beating of a 45/70? Don't need a ton of magnification since its not long range.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    45-70 has a bit of recoil, but it's not THAT heavy. Also hard to give a recommendation without knowing your price range. If it were me, I guess I'd be looking at a SWFA SS 6x.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    1x4, 2x7 or straight 4 power, depending upon your primary application, and what tradeoffs might make the most sense for you.

Leupold VXii or FXii series would likely be my choice.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Believe it or not, but I had the best luck with a low cost 2-7 by Centerpoint out of Walmart. A .50 Beowulf can be brutal on scopes, it killed a few of them, but that cheap Centerpoint proved that $$ isn't everything.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My Marlin 1895G in .45-70 has a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm mounted on an XS Leverrail, with Warne QD rings.

Fantastic set-up.

Also, to show how that scope handles recoil, I have the same scope and rings set-up on a Remington 870 12 ga. slug gun.
    Using Winchester "Partition Gold" sabot slugs, the Nikon scope takes that recoil and laughs.

Yes. "I likes my Nikon glass."

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    What scope would you recommend that can take a beating of a 45/70? Don't need a ton of magnification since its not long range.

What rifle are you putting it on and what will be the primary purpose/

I like the Leupold VX-2 3x-9x 40mm scope as general use hunting/range scope, decent glass and lifetime warranty.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    OP, if you should have interest in the Leupold VX-2 series of scopes, shop them hard.

There's an unusual number of pricing discounts popping up at online distributors on the VX-2 series right now.

Discounted pricing is not the norm for Leupold. Their past history MIGHT suggest that there MAY be some modification to the series coming along. Don't know, but something out of the norm is driving this current reality.

The VX-2 has long been a decent scope, in my opinion. Decent becomes that much better if you can catch exactly what you're looking for on a deal.

I just picked one up at Midsouth that both filled a need, and was discounted enough for me to want to make a move now. But you need to look around, especially once you narrow what you're looking for to a specific model.

Natchez, Graf and Optics Planet (amongst others) tend to bear watching as well.

Good Luck!

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I just picked up a Leupold vx-1 1-4. I will be putting it on a 44 magnum rifle for an area I hunt with typical 50 or so yard shots. I went vx-1 as it was available with a heavy duplex reticle. Clarity seems good, and with the heavy duplex and wide field of view. I would think on a short range rifle, would make a decent setup. I have a several leupolds and very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom