• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Before I attend a match and make a fool of myself, what are the basic fundamental skills that I should have mastered before thinking about starting IDPA? What kind of accuracy at what distances?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    safety!! finger off the trigger until ready to fire, dont go pass the 180 rule (swinging the firearm past 180deg). distance varies.. it can range from 3yards all upto 25+.

as long you got the equipments needed (belt, mag pouch and holsters) you are good to go. if you already know how to be safe. Jump in and join a match. A lot of people in the match are helpful, the will give you advice etc.

:)

edit:
    and what Jim said.. TAKE YOUR TIME!!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Find/buy the full version of this video. When I joined IDPA, they sent it to me. It is dry, but covers all bases. You will learn the rules, range commands, how to move through a stage, and some tips & techniques that will be helpful for shooters of all levels.

ETA: this is one of the songs Epic Meal Time uses in their videos... I keep thinking about bacon strips & bacon strips & bacon strips & Jack Dagnel's SAWSE!!!

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    The things I practice at home are drawing and getting sights on target and mag changes. The rest all falls into place once you start shooting the different stages. You will have to get use to the timer as well. You can have the best laid out plan for the stage but once that buzzer goes off that plan goes out the window.

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    When you show-up at each stage of the match make sure and let the Range Officer there know that you are a beginner/first-timer and they will shuffle you towards the back of the shooting order. This will give you time to observe both good and bad approaches to shooting the stage and will help ease your nerves.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The things I practice at home are drawing and getting sights on target and mag changes. The rest all falls into place once you start shooting the different stages. You will have to get use to the timer as well. You can have the best laid out plan for the stage but once that buzzer goes off that plan goes out the window.

:lol:

"The best laid plans go to hell once the first shot is fired."

A Drill Sgt said this to me in basic and it has stayed with me.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

The closest club to me that shoots IDPA on a regular basis is AAF&G. They've got a match on 02/09 but since I'm not a member I can't attend until I've watched a match and taken the "new shooters" class. Which isn't until 03/09 and I can't compete then, I must wait until the following match. I guess the good thing is that it gives me plenty of time to practice.....

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the replies.

The closest club to me that shoots IDPA on a regular basis is AAF&G. They've got a match on 02/09 but since I'm not a member I can't attend until I've watched a match and taken the "new shooters" class. Which isn't until 03/09 and I can't compete then, I must wait until the following match. I guess the good thing is that it gives me plenty of time to practice.....

What/where is AAF&G? I like the idea of a "new shooters" class for IDPA as well as the requirement to watch a match. Hope it's not too far from me.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah Thurmont is my second choice depending on the experience at AAF&G. Would be my first if it were closer.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    What/where is AAF&G? I like the idea of a "new shooters" class for IDPA as well as the requirement to watch a match. Hope it's not too far from me.

Anne Arundel Fish and Game. Mr. Ed here is a regular and I was just talking to him last night about joining IDPA. I was on their website today reading up on it. See HERE. There's a lot of good info there. Maybe we can get a group to go down and check it out?

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Maybe we can get a group to go down and check it out?

I'd be down for that. I'm already scheduled on March 9th to view my first match and take the new shooters class. Maybe a few of us could go through together?

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    I first started IDPA when I was 20 years old up at NHRPC. They do a match the first saturday of every month. AAF&G holds more frequent matches and they are closer to me. I took their new shooters class and shot my first match at the beginning of January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom