• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Logic would say that if the rifle isn't banned, then the receiver for that rifle would also not be banned.

Best test would be to see if an FFL would be willing to do the transfer.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well now I've gotta ask, how hard is it to build an AK-74?

I'll admit to only having done a cursory search, but it looks like you've gotta do a fair amount of riveting and also press in the barrel using a press...and then head space is tricky doing that (and requires head space gauges while doing it).

I'd love to own a press, but still seems significantly harder/more complex than building an AR-15 (which I kind of knew) with a lot more measuring and tools required to get it right.

Is this more of a "make sure you've got a receiver so MD can't catch you with your pants down on an expanded ban"? Or is the interest more on the "advanced" DIY gunsmithing end of things? I am certainly intrigued.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    A Ak-74 is a real build. I would put ar-15 in the assembling category like legos. I would see when they next build party is and go to learn. Make sure you demilled before hand so you can get right into building. If you only want one 74 I suggest buying a done gun like the aim-74, track down a 104ur or fr, 105 or wasr 3

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I would think that no receiver is banned. Only certain "rifles" and some shotguns are banned. As long as you don't use the receive to build a banned gun, you should be fine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A Ak-74 is a real build. I would put ar-15 in the assembling category like legos. I would see when they next build party is and go to learn. Make sure you demilled before hand so you can get right into building. If you only want one 74 I suggest buying a done gun like the aim-74, track down a 104ur or fr, 105 or wasr 3

That is what I am on the fence about. Comblock guns interest me, but I feel no urge to want to collect them or build tons. Having a single Mosin, SKS and an AK-47/74 would likely scratch all of my Combloc long gun itches.

I just don’t have the spare change to buy a complete rifle right now and of course eyeing up what MD Leg might do this year. Hopefully nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom