• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    Looked at a Colt 1917 Eley 455 revolver today. Thinking of buying it, anyone have any specific info on this model. Basically looking for a revolver I can shoot .45 ACP out of.

Some wear, very tight. Was a RCMP issue (mounties)

(Yes I searched, didn't find anything like a review)

Thanks

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They are nice revolvers. Well worth buying if the price is right.

You can't just drop in .45 ACP rounds. Requires a moon clip conversion unless the cylinder is already modified/headspaced for ACP cases. Otherwise the easier conversion is .45 AR (Autorim). It's not safe to shoot modern .45 ACP loads since the cylinder wasn't designed for that much chamber pressure. The walls are too thin. Also check if it's been converted to .45 LC. Either way, the ammo needs to be handloaded to no more than .455 pressure level (13,000-14,000 psi) using lead (non-jacketed) bullets.

Jul 1, 2012
    Some background info:
    http://www.coltfever.com/New_Service.html
    See towards the bottom for the RCMP notation...

If this is still chambered in .455 Eley it's much more desirable to leave it that way - and it won't properly chamber the .45 ACP as far as I know.
    Pretty sure you need to cut the cylinder which would be a shame.
    There's lots of these actually chambered for .45ACP out there...

<eh, Boom slightly faster on the trigger ... again >

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yeah, the cylinder needs to be hacked up for .45 ammo unless modified .45 LC brass is used. No way would I convert a .455 that's lasted this long unmolested. They are not easy to find nowadays in original condition and prices for originals will steadily head north.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you pass and its really still in .455, please let me know where it is. This is on my list to go with my Webleys.

You can find better options in .45 ACP with moonclips.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    There are plenty of 1917 revolvers around by both S&W and Colt. They can shoot 45acp and 45 auto rim. I own both and shoot both with standard ball ammo. They are both fun to shoot. The Smith is smoother and finished better. The Colt is a beast (in a good way). 455 caliber guns make finding ammo difficult and expensive. For a pure shooter, go 45acp. It's really cool to shoot a piece of history.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even though I am a S&W guy , the Colt New Service is a very interesting revolver. At this point all of them are desireable and collectable.

.455 is indeed a different cal from .45acp/.45AR . Loaded ammo is mfg , but not common. If you reload it is just as easy as any straight wall non-magnum. Don't hot rod it , but these gun were simultaniously mfg in .45acp , so I don't see any issue loading to same pressures as std vel .45acp.

Back in the day , a lot of them were converted to .45acp , from your viewpoint this would be an advantage. But at this point in history , don't convert one. Too many Colt collectors want a .455 on purpose , and the .45acp one are quite a bit more common , either M1917's , or period conversions.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    There are plenty of 1917 revolvers around by both S&W and Colt. They can shoot 45acp and 45 auto rim. I own both and shoot both with standard ball ammo. They are both fun to shoot. The Smith is smoother and finished better. The Colt is a beast (in a good way). 455 caliber guns make finding ammo difficult and expensive. For a pure shooter, go 45acp. It's really cool to shoot a piece of history.

Ya, If the OP passes I would be interested in it as I am very invested in .455 with my Webleys. But it isn't the best caliber for frequent shooting, ammo is hard to find and expensive. Pretty cheap to reload if you have brass, but its not easy either I am currently hunting for a source as I am running low on good cartridges. Second, despite its moniker, its no man-stopper. Deeply subsonic and virtually no recoil you can actually hear the rounds bounce when they go through the target and keep moving. Its sort of neat but a modern cartridge is far superior.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    .455 is indeed a different cal from .45acp/.45AR . Loaded ammo is mfg , but not common. If you reload it is just as easy as any straight wall non-magnum. Don't hot rod it , but these gun were simultaniously mfg in .45acp , so I don't see any issue loading to same pressures as std vel .45acp.

That last statement is dangerously incorrect regarding modern .45 ACP loads. Could easily make the gun into hand grenade. Ammo should be loaded to no more than the SAAMI 15,000psi for Autorim. 14,000psi is safer. Those revolvers were British proof tested (not rated for shooting) to about the same pressures as modern std-vel .45 ACP. The revolvers are made with transitional steel from the turn of the 20th century. Better than black powder but not up to modern standards.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What do you think those 150,000 Colt .1917's fired during WWI , WWII , etc ? Standard issue .45acp ammo. New Services aren't particularily weak , and have cylnders even larger than N Frame Smiths. Back in the pre-WWII shooting and handloading era they were considered equiv to N Frames , and SAA's . Not .45acpor .455 , but as a general indication there were good to go with .38-44 and .38-40 and .44-40 HV factory loads of the day.

.455 AMMO was certianly kept to low pressures because of the various top break British revolvers going back to 1880 .

The .45 Auto Rim ctg wasn't invented until circa 1922 by Peters Ctg Co . It was speculated it was origional loaded mild to reduce the swaged lead bullets slipping on the shallow grooves of M1917 bbls.

In 1917-1920 Colt used the same steel for all their Military revolvers , they didn't used special batches of weak steel just for Commonwealth contracts.

In deference to their value , and scarcity of spare parts , certainly use moderate loads in one. And of course you can load some worthwhile loads at the 15,000 level for ant purpose. But the guns will be untroubled by 18,000 level (ie std P .45acp level) loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom