• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    My Ruger American rimfire with threaded barrel is ordered and my can is in jail for god knows how long so the last piece is glass. Anybody have recommendations for a dedicated subsonic 22 scope? This gun will likely eat a diet of 99% subs so no need for crazy magnification. However with that being said I am currently looking at the Vortex Copperhead 4-12 at joebobs for $129 or the Crossfire II 4-12 at Cabela's for $109. Thoughts? ideas? I'm also looking to stay under $150. The Crossfire II is pulling me that way since with the cheap Cabela's gift card it would be like $90 real cash. I've never owned Vortex magnified optics (2 SPARC red dots) so I'm not tied to that brand. Thanks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good info teratos! I am moving in the same direction as OP. I have the can but no gun to put it on.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I am going to check out the Hawke. Never heard of them.

I have the Nikon 150 rimfires on the two rifles I have for suppressors. Been happy with them. I can go from 50yd paper to 100yd 3" plate quickly. The spot on app is pretty close or at least helps when changing ammo.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Since the scope was going on a bolt gun basically dedicated to subsonics, I wanted a scope with that capability. I've been happy. Killed a couple of groundhogs with head shots. I have no complaints about the quality.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Good info teratos! I am moving in the same direction as OP. I have the can but no gun to put it on.

I'll post up some info and pics when my Ruger comes in. It was between the Savage and this and the Ruger won out when I was looking for guns. Still gotta find a threaded Bobcat too!

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I just shot that last rimfire match (FVSR) with a Nikon P223 3-9x. It comes with a BDC/holdover reticle and you can use the sweet Nikon app on your phone to figure out the holdovers based on specific ammo. You can mess with in online as well.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#:4

This app alone is worth its weight in gold. I zeroed at 40m and thats it. I made hits at 40, 60, 77, and 100 meters.

Similar to this:
    http://shop.opticsplanet.com/nikon-...5A_uMXCmZKcXybiybx2Ry17HyYWKZZGRoCAN4QAvD_BwE

Here is what I have, bought from SLSC member NIB for close to $100:
    http://shop.opticsplanet.com/nikon-...M6D7J_PIvvi8Y8yu42Pw-65uLJVYh3TRoCuU0QAvD_BwE

Lemme know and I can let you check it out. The FVSR suppressed is nice to shoot.:D

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    I know you are looking to stay under $150 but man, I have never regretted the financial pain of buying better glass. I bet you won't regret it either.

Think about it, you have invested a lot of time and money in this project so far, do yourself a favor and don't go trailer park on us at this final stage by putting unworthy glass on it! Please!

I have had great luck with the Leupold VX-2 Rimfire EFR Rifle Scope on top of my suppressed precision .22 problem solver. Link to the scope below and here is what the scope looks like mounted. Been able to able to make some jaw dropping shots (for .22 long distances) with this rig.

http://ww8.basspro.com/shop/en/leupold-vx-2-ultralight-rimfire-efr-rifle-scope

Suppressed%20.22%20Precision%20Problem%20Solver.JPG
    [/IMG]

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I personally prefer to dial corrections versus any BDC type setup.

The Midway BSA Tactical 4-14x is a nice scope. And about $250 when on sale. AFAIK, the Mueller and Primary Arms 414x scopes are the same as the Midway one.

I have the Midway on my CZ 455 and like it.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Ok I never bought anything and this is back on the hot list. I was reading field and stream and Dave Petzal said the Leupold VX-2 VFR is the best rimfire scope available so I started looking into that. I've blown past the original budget but that's OK. Some pics I see online show it with regular scope caps and some show finger dial turrets. I think I'm leaning toward the dial up vs drop reticle. Anybody have a reason for one over the other? Main purpose of this rifle is to kill squirrels quietly during bow season and maybe pest control should the need come up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The BDC reticle is only good for one particular ammo.

Dialing, you work up the dial ups for YOUR ammo.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Ok I've decided on a scope. Going to buy the vortex below. Anybody have mount recommendations? I currently to own P series mounts, SSALT, Larue and Burris but was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for a one inch scope on a .22. Thanks

Vortex 4-12 I'm buying. Went over on price but oh well. I'll have a $1,500 .22 when this is all said and done with the can.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/VORTEX-DIAMONDBACK-TACTICAL-RIFLESCOPES/2494697.uts

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Just as long as the scope is mounted high enough to clear the can on the end of the barrel. You want the lowest part of the scope front bell to be higher than the top of the can by a little. If you don't at some powers you will lose contrast and sharpness in the lower part of the window.

Benjamin

May 30, 2017
    Westminster
    I have the Diamondback HP in 4-16x and two Crossfire II's in 4-12x. They're all set up with the BDC reticle, the Crossfire's are on my CZ 452 and a Marlin 783 in .22WMR. I haven't had one complaint using them, just had the 452 out last weekend with my wife and her 455. She had a cheaper Hawke 3-9x on hers with no reticles. When we moved from 50 to 100 she got a little jealous that her Hawke didn't show as clearly or have any ranging aids. Going to swap the other Crossfire over to her 455 since it gets out more than the Marlin. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Diamondback, mine is sitting on a Weatherby Vanguard Varmint Special in .308. It doesn't get out as much as the .22's, but I have had no issues with any of my Vortex glass.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Think about it, you have invested a lot of time and money in this project so far, do yourself a favor and don't go trailer park on us at this final stage by putting unworthy glass on it! Please! "

Never heard of Vortex being trailer park trash. The more affluent must be moving in.

WV, I have looked at that scope a couple times but in the 3-9 guise. I like the reticle design, had a Redfield with similar reticle. That or a mildot works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom