• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Does anyone have any history on how long SOG takes to ship, or if they ship out and don't update the tracking info for a couple days after?

I'm not in a rush, I just want to make sure I'm home for a rifle arrival so looking for any history anyone has from ordering with them.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If you have a tracking number it on the carrier to update the tracking, SOG has nothing to do with it once it enters the carriers system.
    It been a while since I got anything from SOG, but IIRC they were pretty quick to ship, at least for my transaction.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Does anyone have any history on how long SOG takes to ship, or if they ship out and don't update the tracking info for a couple days after?

I'm not in a rush, I just want to make sure I'm home for a rifle arrival so looking for any history anyone has from ordering with them.

I've ordered from them a few times and each time the shipping info in "my account" was late in getting updated (i.e. I was able to track the package about the same time it arrived to my house).

If I call them they're pretty good about helping out, but I don't rely on the website interface...

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    If you have a tracking number it on the carrier to update the tracking, SOG has nothing to do with it once it enters the carriers system.
    It been a while since I got anything from SOG, but IIRC they were pretty quick to ship, at least for my transaction.

Understood.. I was more asking, are they prompt in updating a tracking number in the system after they ship - or are they like some other companies where they ship and then sometimes you receive your package before they even update their system.

It still says Processing (Order from Friday Night). I've never ordered from them so I don't know what the norm is for them is all.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Understood.. I was more asking, are they prompt in updating a tracking number in the system after they ship - or are they like some other companies where they ship and then sometimes you receive your package before they even update their system.

It still says Processing (Order from Friday Night). I've never ordered from them so I don't know what the norm is for them is all.

My last order took a few business days in the "processing" status before it was packed and shipped.... that was about a month ago.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've ordered from them a few times and each time the shipping info in "my account" was late in getting updated (i.e. I was able to track the package about the same time it arrived to my house).

If I call them they're pretty good about helping out, but I don't rely on the website interface...

That's been my experience also, several times. That said, they've been pretty prompt. The main beef I had is that it is difficult to figure out in advance/up front what their shipping charges are, and they are IMHO a bit high. Come to find out they have somewhat of a rep in that regard.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm sure that SOG, like most dealers, is really getting slammed with orders right now. If I recall correctly, the last time that I placed an order with them I got an e-mail confirmation very quickly, but then it took about 3 business days for the order to show up in the system with tracking info, etc. Overall, they are pretty good about these things, and the good news is that the shippers are all in overdrive right now, so once it gets into the system you should see it pretty quickly.

On another note, I was just on Classic's website and they've posted a notice that the flu has hit their town and a lot of employees are out sick and that's got the healthy ones shifted from answering the phones to packing and shipping. At least they're up-front about it.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Pic intensive.. Pulled my SKS apart today and started cleaning it up.

Is this a low S/N?

This guy was caked in crap..

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

The nice surprise when we pulled everything off the stock, someone had engraved "1949" in the matching S/N stock.

DSC_0012.jpg

And more pics of the mess.. The bore looks great although I didn't take any pics.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Anyone know what these symbols represent? One of them looks like a Nike Swoosh.. :)

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    It's a 1956 (first year of manufacture) Chinese SKS made with machinery that was previously in Russia's Tula armory. The "1949" has nothing directly to do with the rifle, but marked the end of the Chinese Civil War. It could have something to do with that, or with something else entirely different.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    FWIW my SKS had equal or more cosmoline than that. It was very well preserved. The detail strip on an SKS is not difficult. I ended up putting most of the parts in hot water to remove the cosmo. It came out like brand new.:thumbsup:

No more pics or I will have to buy another SKS.:innocent0

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    FWIW my SKS had equal or more cosmoline than that. It was very well preserved. The detail strip on an SKS is not difficult. I ended up putting most of the parts in hot water to remove the cosmo. It came out like brand new.:thumbsup:

No more pics or I will have to buy another SKS.:innocent0

Oh no complaints on the amount of cosmoline.. It preserved the gun great. I have just cleaned off the bulk of it so far. Ran out of time today, will mess around more this week.

What are you guys using on the wood to really clean it off? I've seen so many different methods doing research online, just want some actual experience/opinions here.

Btw - What type of wood is this stock?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Suggest you use something like the bamboo kabob skewers sold in grocery stores (cheap) to remove the cosmo, rather than a metal tool that might scratch. Alternatively, if you first soften the stuff up in hot water or a petroleum solvent (mineral spirits, charcoal lighter, kerosene, etc.) it will come off with a brush. Just trying to help you keep from scratching your new baby.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    It's a 1956 (first year of manufacture) Chinese SKS made with machinery that was previously in Russia's Tula armory. The "1949" has nothing directly to do with the rifle, but marked the end of the Chinese Civil War. It could have something to do with that, or with something else entirely different.

Looks to me like the 1949 is just the last 4 digits of the serial number..... I've seen that before were some parts are only marked with the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial number.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Looks to me like the 1949 is just the last 4 digits of the serial number..... I've seen that before were some parts are only marked with the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial number.

Makes sense to me.. Durh! I didn't even put the two together.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012

Yepper! Good catch, and that's a really nice touch. I doubt that many are marked to that extent. The models that have serial numbers with 7 digits on the receiver usually are only marked with the last 6 digits elsewhere.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Pic intensive.. Pulled my SKS apart today and started cleaning it up.

Is this a low S/N?

This guy was caked in crap..

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

The nice surprise when we pulled everything off the stock, someone had engraved "1949" in the matching S/N stock.

DSC_0012.jpg

And more pics of the mess.. The bore looks great although I didn't take any pics.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Anyone know what these symbols represent? One of them looks like a Nike Swoosh.. :)

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

all i see are red X's

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom